THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
You Tube Highlights

Approximately 10 minutes' highlights from each match this season are still being put on You Tube as soon as they are edited, and the links to these can be found in the end column on the Match Reports Page highlighted in red.

Unfortunately though, they do not always play back on You Tube very well, which is why I have not really publicised the highlights of the last two matches (against St. Margaretsbury and Cheshunt (Sunday)), even though they have now been uploaded and are ready to view.

I have been uploading very good-quality mpeg2 files (rendered as interlaced Lower Field First because I film in standard DV as opposed to HDV) for each match so far this season, but on my new Windows 7 Professional computer, they play back in You Tube with every other frame missing, thereby making the picture flicker badly...as if You Tube's own encoder has wrongly changed the field order after I have uploaded. Strangely though, on my Windows Vista laptop, it doesn't drop frames on playback in You Tube, although the fact that I film in a 1/120 shutter speed instead of the standard 1/50 is noticeable. (i.e. Very slightly flickery).

Thinking it was my mpeg2 file rendering at fault, I did the St. Margaretsbury match as a de-interlaced (Frame-Based) HD 720p WMV file, but that came out on You Tube even worse, so I then did the Cheshunt (Sunday) match highlights as a standard WMV (like the video clips here on this website), and that came out very blurry (and still flickery on my Windows 7 PC).

I have read various things on Forums recently about You Tube's servers and uploading encoders going to pot in the last few months since Google bought them out, and that certainly does seem to be the case, while poor broadband speeds don't help either. All I can do is go back to posting mpeg2's and just hope they are playing back reasonably well (without every other frame missing) on everybody else's PC's, laptops, blackberrys, i-phones or whatever.

If anybody knows what they are talking about with this sort of thing (e.g. Tony King ?) and has any ideas, please let me know.
I would also like to know if the highlights are playing back properly or not when our players view them in You Tube.
Cheers.

Re: You Tube Highlights

Played back fine for me, both of the latest vids...

Jacko
Played back fine for me, both of the latest vids...
That's what I want to hear.

Sounds like it could be a Windows 7 problem ?
Anyone else using that yet ?

The latest (Cheshunt) video was very blurry for me when compared to St. Margaretsbury from the week before. I'm running Windows XP.

Cheers
Barney

Barney
The latest (Cheshunt) video was very blurry for me when compared to St. Margaretsbury from the week before. I'm running Windows XP.

Cheers
Barney
The St. Margaretsbury game should be absolute top quality in terms of picture definition, colour & sharpness. Better than everything else I have posted so far. I would have expected it to flicker badly though, so if you are saying it doesn't Barney, that's very interesting and I will think about rendering the highlights in that format (HD 720p WMV) again if that's the case.

The downside is that it took nearly five hours to upload !!!

Agreed that the quality seems a lot better on the St. Margaretsbury game... it doesn't noticeably flicker, and it's a lot more watchable than the Cheshunt one for instance.

I have a better version of the Cheshunt (Sunday) game online now. (An mpeg2, same as all the other matches).
Click here to view.

I will change the link on the Match Reports page later.