THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Match Report (Yavruvatan)

Match report now posted here.

What was the general consensus of opinion in the changing rooms afterwards ?
I thought we played well considering we had not played for 8 weeks (or 9 in Stuart & Conor's case) and it was more a case of us making them look a rather ordinary side rather than them being 'shit' (as our players were saying at Half-Time...and at the end ?).
If they were 'shit' they would definitely not be top of their League and would not have been Runners-Up in the Sunday Intermediate Cup last season.

Like Nacional De Londres in the previous round, they were good going forward but not as good at the back as teams in our League are.

I predict they will reach the Final...where they will lose to Aris.

Re: Match Report (Yavruvatan)

Still gutted at the result - we missed a big opportunity. They aren't 'sh@t' and I think it's disrespectful to come on here and say what we were supposedly saying in the dressing room where they can see it. What ever happened to 'what goes on in the dressing room - stays in the dressing room'??

However, we are used to playing better opposition and I would be personally very suprised if they reach the final. Had our whole team been playing regularly I'm sure we would have won comfortably - No excuses though - None of our players have bothered to do anything to keep themselves in shape and it showed second half - at times some of us looked like we were treading water.

Good luck to them - they're were a decent bunch of lads. If they were sh@t - what does that make us? In future - I would advise these type of conversations are on e-mail.

Conor, don't forget that every team we play buys a DVD of the match and every time we come off at Half-Time there is always at least one player walking past the camera saying 'Come on lads, this lot are shit' whatever the scoreline might be at the time. It's impossible to edit that out, and I have never had any teams complaining to me about that.

I agree with you. Yavruvatan were a good bunch of lads and we would be giving them a 9 out of 10 for sportsmanship if it were a League match. (We don't have to give a mark for that in the London Cup). I wouldn't mind betting they were saying we were 'shit' in their half-time team-talk though. It's just a standard motivational comment in all levels of football. Everyone does it.

Would we be offended if we saw opposing teams on video saying in their Half-Time team talk that we are 'shit' ? Of course we wouldn't.

Yes I agree Conor, I think the video will prove that we had a great chance to win the game and we threw it away with bad finishing and a nightmare 8-minute spell of lethargic defending.
What I am trying to say though is that when we have a near full-strength squad like we had on Sunday, in my opinion we are as good as any other team in London, certainly in terms of ability and organisation. And I don't think our levels of fitness on Sunday were anywhere near as bad as they could have been considering the circumstances (i.e. the state of the pitch and 8/9 weeks without a game). I think a number of players had kept themselves in reasonable shape. We have had far worse in the past.
I just think our players in general, and especially you, Conor, seem to underestimate how good we are. Yes, we do have one or two players who need to improve their fitness, but this is the best squad we have had since we finished third in the Premier Division in my opinion, and I can see no reason why (if we don't have a load of long term injuries to key players) we can now go on an unbeaten run for the rest of the season like we did back then (2002-2003) and finish in the top three.

You Tube highlights are now showing here.
No Half-Time team talks in that though !