THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GAME OFF !!! (Sunday 17th January)

Apparently Pymmes Park is still maintained by Enfield Council groundsmen, so that has been called off this weekend as well.
Our game this Sunday is therefore now DEFINITELY OFF.
Looks like we would have only had a bare eleven plus 'Paolo Di Canio' anyway, as I have not heard from Daley, Danny Smith or Terry Brown.

We will now be playing at Yavruvatan's normal Home ground at Wadham Lodge next Sunday (24th January) with a 2.00.p.m. kick-off.
The drive-in entrance to the car park is in Kitchener Road and the postcode is E17 4LL.

Please let me know asap if you cannot play next Sunday.
I presume Arsenal are at Home, Trev ?

Re: GAME OFF !!! (Sunday 17th January)

Laurence
I presume Arsenal are at Home, Trev ?

Stoke v. Arsenal (FA Cup) Live on ITV 1 (1.30.p.m. kick-off).

Yes,

Jacko has got me a ticket and we are both going so no goalkeeper or manager!

Just trained over Enfield playing fields for two hours, the pitches were superb. couldn't have asked for better footballing conditions

I will go over Hazelwood and have a look at the pitch tomorrow morning.
I think we all know it will be perfectly playable and the lines will be 'clear enough'.

And whose fault is this ?
Nobody but Enfield Council's...in deciding to get rid of Sunday morning pitch inspectors instead of doing their cost-cutting elsewhere.
It's things like this that make Sunday League teams fold up. The players get so pissed off with it week after week and they therefore find better things to do.

Just had a look at Hazelwood. (10.45.a.m. Sunday morning).
It rained quite a bit last night, so the pitch was very wet and we would have churned it up a fair bit if we had played on it, but we have played in far worse over there over the past few seasons.

There was the usual large puddle on the right-hand edge of the 'D' and a churned-up bit just inside the penalty area at the cowshed end, but those bits could have easily been forked and swept before the kick-off (as we have done already this season).
The 6-yard box at the cowshed end was completely flat with no puddles at all, and there was no standing water anywhere else on the pitch.

The lines were all clearly visible and none of them had been washed away by the snow whatsoever ! (Snow 'probably' washing the lines away was Enfield Council's official reason for calling all the pitches off this weekend !).
Also...the weather was perfect for football ! No rain, no wind and far less cold than it has been.

To make matters worse, Enfield Council do not give a refund when they call games off...and we have had four called off at Hazelwood this season already (three snow and one waterlogged). They give you a free replacement pitch (e.g. Enfield Playing Fields) to use at the end of the season instead (i.e. between mid-april and mid-May when the goalposts at Hazelwood are taken down for cricket), but that's no good to us, as the League have to arrange Double-Headers to fit all the games in anyway, while midweek games cannot be played at Enfield Playing Fields or any other Enfield Council pitch any more because the they 'can no longer afford' to pay groundsmen the overtime to open up the changing rooms !

To be honest, it is pretty scandalous, and it's why a lot of teams fold up...because they are not getting the subs in from players when matches are called off and then played as a Double-Header, and they are not getting a refund for the pitch either.

In case any of you are wondering...Yes, 8 weeks in a row without a match is by far the worst run of postponements/no match arrangements in our 34-year history.
The previous worst was only 4 weeks ! That was in Season 2002-2003 when we finished 3rd in the Premier Division.
What happened that season was every time we were due to play at Hazelwood, it chucked it down on a Friday and a Saturday and we didn't play a game over there for three months ! The whole pitch was like a lake.
We played several Away games during that time though, and because there were only 9 teams in the Division (instead of 12), we didn't have to play any Double-Headers and we only had to play one midweek match.

Back in the 70's and 80's, we regularly used to play on frozen and/or badly waterlogged pitches because the compensation/health & safety culture was not around then. We also had Council groundsmen working during the Xmas period and we even played on New Year's Day !

Incidentally, i reffed at Wormley Playing fields today and all pitches were fine for football.

Maybe the league should put pressure on Enfield and Broxbourne council to "do their jobs!"

steve
Incidentally, i reffed at Wormley Playing fields today and all pitches were fine for football.

Maybe the league should put pressure on Enfield and Broxbourne council to "do their jobs!"
Wormley Playing Fields were supposed to have been called off by Broxbourne Council !
Was it an 'illegal' match ?

Laurence

Back in the 70's and 80's, we regularly used to play on frozen and/or badly waterlogged pitches because the compensation/health & safety culture was not around then. We also had Council groundsmen working during the Xmas period and we even played on New Year's Day !

Was this when men where men, dodgy hair do's were acceptable & football managers wore dodgy sheepskin / Jedi Master coats......

Jim
Laurence

Was this when men where men, dodgy hair do's were acceptable & football managers wore dodgy sheepskin / Jedi Master coats......
The Archive Section is coming soon...

It was a youth game.

Trevor Hughes
Yes,

Have i slipped THAT far down the team sheet then Trevor?? I don't recall saying i was not available.

Trevor Hughes
Yes,

This was a poor attempt to wind up Lol.

I expected Jacko to post a response confirming our trip to Stoke and I meant to say DJ was going as well. Lol actually guessed it was a wind up anyway.

Trevor Hughes
Trevor Hughes
Yes,

This was a poor attempt to wind up Lol.

I expected Jacko to post a response confirming our trip to Stoke and I meant to say DJ was going as well. Lol actually guessed it was a wind up anyway.

Can you hear that...? That is the sound of a manager backtracking.

Well botherd! lol