THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No Excuses

Can the following players please explain why they did not turn up to Pre-Season Training this morning (Sunday 2nd August) when they said they would be ?
Stuart Dorward
Daniel Daley
Scott Jenkins
Gary Cokell

Also, can the following players please explain why they did not let us know that they were unavailable for training in the first place ?
Conor McGovern
Steve Cokell
Vernon 'Kizza' Nxumalo
Gavin Mardell
Aaron Illsley
Paul Amico
Aron White

This is so that we can pick a squad for this coming Sunday's Pre-Season Friendly against Highway United.

Please e-mail, text or phone me if you wish to keep your reasons private. (I think I know why Amico & Aron were not interested, but they or Danny Green can get in touch with myself or Trevor to discuss that if they want).

There were only two players there this morning...Tony King & Tem Adil. Suprise, suprise !!!
As we were going home (without doing any training), two other mens teams turned up over Hazelwood to train (on our pitch !) with full squads.
They must have been laughing their heads off and it was fucking embarrassing !

We will be naming a squad of 16 for next Sunday's Friendly.
If we end up playing with a bare eleven or less (as happened last Pre-Season), I will call off our other three Pre-Season Friendlies.

I assume that most of our players' schedule for the next five weeks is as follows:
1st Sunday...Away with the missus somewhere
2nd Sunday...Groin Strain (from shagging the missus)
3rd Sunday...Babysitting (as 'punishment' for having a groin strain the week before)
4th Sunday...Play for Rovers !!!
5th Sunday...Working (earning money to go away again the following Sunday)

Re: No Excuses

sorry mate i know its not funny but what youve wrote as excuses has got me in stitches here. classic stuff. but yes this aint acceptable

Danny Hagan
sorry mate i know its not funny but what youve wrote as excuses has got me in stitches here. classic stuff. but yes this aint acceptable
Actually, even Tony King said he can't play next week because he is going away with his missus...and he was one of the two players at training this morning !

How's the swine flu by the way ?

After a turnout of two players, one ex player, the secretary and the manager for a pre season training session, I fully expect us to dominate Division One next season and get into at least two Cup Finals! I thought the pathetic turnout at the AGM was bad enough but what is going on?
Four of those who attended the AGM paid their annual subs and said that they were coming training but then failed to attend or contact us with an excuse. Our performances in the 7 a side league have been poor with a lack of fitness being the main reason but only two players attend for training.
Obviously we have a few injuries at the moment but we have such a large squad it is unbelievable that so many people were unavailable. I have family commitments and several holidays a year but I make every effort to be available on Sunday mornings. If you want to play in a successful Sunday morning football team and keep your place in the side I would urge you to make a bit more effort in the coming weeks. I want to be in a position of having difficult decisions over team selection rather than picking the only eleven that are available.

didnt i email saying i wouldn't be attending?! sorry if not

Trev, what's even more unbelievable is that nobody whatsoever has e-mailed, texted, phoned or put a message on here to explain themselves since I started this thread and updated the website last night !!!
Surely they have read this at work this morning ?

Are they all off having a sickie today or something ?
...or just too embarrassed to admit they let us down badly yesterday ?

stu
didnt i email saying i wouldn't be attending?! sorry if not
Stu, the last e-mail we had from you (in the middle of the week), you said you 'Should Be' there...so we took that as being you would be there unless you informed us otherwise.

At least you are the first one to come on here and apologise.
Let's have some more people follow your example and show that they do care about playing for Rovers !!!

I'm snowed at work at the mo & haven't checked forum for some time - I periodically check it at home but it seems full of 7-a-side stuff in which I'm not involved.

I wouldn't have been able to make this week and to be honest - would've been reluctant to travel even if I could given our track record.

Think I already said ages ago that I couldn't make this week either.

Apologies & will try to look at the forum more regularly now the season is not far away.

Magoo
I'm snowed at work at the mo & haven't checked forum for some time - I periodically check it at home but it seems full of 7-a-side stuff in which I'm not involved.

I wouldn't have been able to make this week and to be honest - would've been reluctant to travel even if I could given our track record.

Think I already said ages ago that I couldn't make this week either.

Apologies & will try to look at the forum more regularly now the season is not far away.

O.K., cheers Conor.

You will be in the squad for Sunday 16th August...and bring Stuart Byhurst as well ?
9.30.a.m. kick-off though !

(I think I know why Amico & Aron were not interested, but they or Danny Green can get in touch with myself or Trevor to discuss that if they want).

I have discussed it with Paul but not at length, I think its going to be a case of seeing how pre-season goes....

BOYS your all a disgrace ;)

No Excuses

Apologies, I have not been looking on the forum much during the close season (aka.the cricket season ) and I was totally unaware of there being a training session this Sunday just gone. To be brutally honest I often forget about footie altogether until September comes around again. It's a very seasonal thing with me. That said, I would have been unable to come anyway as I was out for lunch at Claridges with the ladyfriend.

I must admit I hadn't really thought of myself to be overly important in the grand scheme of things, hence I haven't been keeping an eye on the forum much. The standard I play on a Saturday morning during the winter/Monday evening during the summer with Arrowsmith etc is more to my level when compared with Sundays, so I just assumed that I was somebody to help out when Rovers are short and run the line etc (both of which I am quite happy to do during the league campaign by the way).

With regards to the pre-season game this week, I cannot commit to playing this Sunday just yet and will have to let you know towards the end of the week. Much of it may depend on how many players you have mustered together by then and whether you are desperate for me to play. I am spending all day Saturday playing cricket and may have to play Sunday too as we are struggling for numbers. I am most likely going to have to give our Saturday side's first training session a miss too as a result.

I need to have a life also outside of sporting committments and work

Gav
Apologies, I have not been looking on the forum much during the close season and I was totally unaware of there being a training session this Sunday just gone.
Conor has also said this and I think quite a few others will as well.
That's a fair comment, but I did send an e-mail out to everyone last week telling players to pay their Annual Subs at training on Sunday !
Presumably then, players are too busy to read their e-mails as well...or just delete them if they are from me because it's Summer at the moment !

Gav, are you aware that you won the Clubman Award at the A.G.M. ?

Regarding you attending training, Jim said to me in an e-mail that he was hoping you would be going in order to improve your fitness and to bring Aaron Illsley along, as he is most definitely good enough to play at Rovers level on Sundays (if he wants to).
You and Aaron were therefore 'Might Be's, but you were not 'Won't Be's. In other words, we were standing there at Hazelwood at 10.30.a.m. and didn't have a clue if you were coming or not.

If you cannot make it for this Sunday's Friendly because of cricket, that's fine.
I think Jim is available (he can't post on here), so hopefully he can bring Aaron along to play...and Luke if he has not joined the Army yet ?

Gav
I was out for lunch at Claridges

Ooooooooohhh, hark at Gav. Immune to the credit crunch I see...

"The standard I play on a Saturday morning during the winter/Monday evening during the summer with Arrowsmith etc is more to my level when compared with Sundays"

Don't bring my name into this.

Sorry, don't know how to use "quotes". You can't go wrong with a bit of ctl C & V

Laurence
Gav

I have heard of this occurence and although somewhat suprised when first told, I feel privileged to have been awarded such an accolade Happy days!!

Gav
How comes you are talking to yourself here ?

Looks like your 'quoting' system is fucked Lol, I suggest that you take the forum offline until it is sorted out.

Can you do it, with your secret 'Administrator password'.......

And no word of a lie, the letters I need to type in to post this are:

1EKA - perhaps its telling me where I should be on a sunday morning..

Trevor Hughes
After a turnout of two players, one ex player, the secretary and the manager for a pre season training session, I fully expect us to dominate Division One next season and get into at least two Cup Finals! I thought the pathetic turnout at the AGM was bad enough but what is going on?

I have just come home from Edmonton Cricket Club where I had a net session for the first time in years with another ex-player. We were allowed to use the nets as we were told that it was the 1st XI net session. We were the only ones there! It is good to know that other sports have the same trouble as us.

However, as we were leaving I spotted three players who shall be nameless but play for both Edmonton Rovers F.C. and Edmonton C.C. having a net session but on the netball court!

Norseman also had players turning up for training but I didn't see any of the Edmonton Rovers players.

If you are wondering what most of our players are doing, Trev...they are hooked on Facebook !

Especially Danny Hagan, Daley, Oz, Tem & Conor !
(Yes, who is the odd one out there ? )

Think it's about time I posted some more 70's jazz, funk & soul tunes on there to piss them all off and get them out playing for Rovers instead ?!

Laurence
Think it's about time I posted some more 70's jazz, funk & soul tunes on there to piss them all off and get them out playing for Rovers instead ?!

I thought you'd posted every jazz, funk & soul tune in existance already...

best way to talk to bitches lol, after a days work and training theres nothing better than arranging the next bunk up, preferably without the like of stevie wonder and cliff richard numbers popping up in my news feed

What I find interesting about Facebook is that most of our players are on there (except Trev, Wooly, Terry Moore & Rob Brown ?), but very few of them are 'Friends' with each other !

No wonder we find it difficult to organise club social events !
Something for Loveday (new Players' Rep) to sort out ?

I remember Ritchie Copues starting up a 'Have You Ever Played For Edmonton Rovers' group on there.
Maybe that needs publicising ?

Danny Hagan
best way to talk to bitches lol, after a days work and training theres nothing better than arranging the next bunk up, preferably without the like of stevie wonder and cliff richard numbers popping up in my news feed
If Trev ever signs up to Facebook, you will have to put up with Celine Dion and Barbra Streisand in your news feed, so think yourself lucky !

Lol, I am pretty sure Richie said something about the facebook group and i do not believe it is active any more?