THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
7-a-side Shambles !?

So...we lost 9-1 and Danny Hagan scored but also got sent off. That's all I know (from a text that Tony King has sent me).

I was assured by our players that we would have no problems without me being involved this Summer, but what do we get ?
No Trev, no Terry Moore, no Loveday, no Barney...all on the same night, leaving Tony to organise everything on his own (by the sound of it).
Three bad defeats in our first three matches, probably due to us having no defenders again.
A sending-off for the first time in 9 years of us playing in the 7-a-side League...and probably several other problems that Tony has not told me about ?
I have no idea what the squad was or if certain players did not turn up.

I am almost certainly going to get an angry phone call or e-mail from Liz at the SHC tomorrow about this, so if certain individuals now have other priorities like sudden holidays, golf or cricket or cannot handle losing when they do turn up, I will not hesitate to pull us out of the League before even more damage is done to our previously good reputation.

I would like a full explanation of what went on tonight please.
Either on here or by e-mail.
Any stupid comments by Jacko will be deleted...and I mean it !

Re: 7-a-side Shambles !?

Easy!! We had 7 players and got beaten by 7 better players. Danny got sent off in frustration, why would you get an angry phone call????
Massive over reaction

I have received an e-mail this morning from Steve Wildgoose informing me that 'Bill (the Ref) has told the SHC that it's a 3-game ban for Mr. Hagan'.
It also says that Danny was sent off when we were losing 'extremely heavily'...so that indeed backs up what I was saying, doesn't it ?!!!

As the 7-a-side League is F.A. affiliated, I assume Bill means he is sending the dismissal in to the London F.A....in which case the 3-game ban (for foul & abusive language) will start from the first week in September and Danny will miss our first three League matches at 11-a-side ?!

That's why it is not a 'massive over-reaction' on my part and why I will pull us out of the 7-a-side League if this sort of thing is going to continue.
O.K., I know Emerald Rovers are a good side, but surely if we had some proper defenders playing (i.e. Terry, Loveday, Barney, Wooly or Warmers), we would not have lost 9-1 and Danny would not have got sent off in frustration.
'This had been building for the last two weeks' according to Steve Wildgoose and I think Danny even admitted it himself on here after the second match.
He must be well pissed off having to play in defence every week.

So we only had a squad of 7 then ?
Who dropped out at the 'last minute' ?
We had a squad of 8 at 5.00.p.m.

Laurence:

All suspensions at SHC stay "in house" so no further repercussions in the Mercury.

Just had a read of the SHC 7-a-side League rules regarding sending-offs.
Can our players please take note ?

It says:

Sent-Off players will be reported to the SHC management (i.e. Liz), who will take what they consider appropriate action.
Players who receive two red cards during the Tournement will be expelled for the remainder of the Summer League season.
Teams that have three players sent off for violence will have three points deducted.
Players sent off for violence will be automatically banned for five matches. (This explains why Danny has been banned for three matches for foul & abusive language to the Ref then).

I can certainly see more of our players getting sent off this Summer the way things are going.

So massive over reaction still stands, we knew last night that the ban would not effect next season.

Also saying things like you can see more players getting sent off is ridiculas. Not only will the ref's be looking for it now (not you Steve ;) ) having read your post, but you wasn't there or understood the situation. He didn't use foul and/or abusive language, nor did he swear but calling the ref a girl probably does deserve a red. It was in reaction to there number 3 who was kicking everyone and getting away with it all night trying to pull my shirt off as I ran through to the point where I had to push him off me. Steve let the game go and Dan made a tackle which was no where near as bad and a free kick was giving. Everyone was incensed but Dan was closest.

We are not a bunch of hot heads that are going around kicking people cause we are losing.

Unless we start turning up with 3 and getting fined for no shows the above posts are not helpful and prob best leaving it unless you want to turn up as well.

It was all Tony's fault anyway

Fucking hell Lau, leave it out mate.

I'm sure the lads don't feel too happy about losing by that score, it happens. And from what I remember last year, Emerald Rovers have 2 or 3 decent Saturday players from Cockfosters?(1 very good one as well).

As for Dan being sent off, it's not like we have untold sendings off and bookings over the course of the season anyway. One sending off out of frustration, I certainly wouldn't hold that against a player if I was a manager or coach, in fact I would sort of admire his disappointment at being so comprehensively beat. I'm sure if Dan has had a red card I would have been close to it myself if I were playing.

It's all well and good talking about good sportsmanship etc but you and I weren't there so we can only speculate on Dan's reasons for being sent off. Again it happens.

Can we just cut out all the negativity, fucking hell, we had a good finish to the proper season and we can treat this 7-a-side league as a fitness boost for the coming season. We've talked about other players being available in the coming weeks for the 7-a-side and I'm sure it will happen.

I don't normally bite on your comments Lau, and I can't believe I'm biting on a comment about something I wasn't even involved in but maybe we should stick together as a close knit group a bit more eh? Defend eachother, do you know what I mean?

Well said Rob and Dan, and well done to Tony (and others) for getting teams out every week. We've never been massively competitive in this league, and we've played some good sides so far, so what's the problem? OK with a couple more defenders, we might not have shipped 9 goals, but quite honestly, who cares if people are getting a run out? The object of the exercise certainly isn't to win the league.

On the plus side, we're getting there with 7+ players every week, paying our money and getting fitness in time for the 11 a side season proper (which is really what the club is all about). Seriously, the Edmonton Rovers world isn't going to come to an end if we only have 7, or we have a sending off for calling the ref a girl.

Why not be more positive / constructive in future, and not always assume the worst? - life's much more rewarding that way

Lol,

Although I fully appreciate your concern, it is wrong to start ranting and raving without listening to the players point of view first.

This is a brief overview of why we lost.

Were we poor?, Yes, there is no doubt. We started with 6 men, as Tem was late and could hardly run as his hamstring flaired up again, Aron was suffering with Asthma, Paul Amico decided not to turn up and we didn't find out until 7:50. Danny Green hadn't slept for 2 nights.

The last six goals we conceded were in the last 15 minutes as we pushed up when we went 3-1 down. Due to Tem and Aron not be able to run very well, we couldn't track all their runs and consequently found ourselves 2 or 3 on 1 at the back. For the last 15 minutes we played 1 at the back, which was me, enough said.

We definitely suffered due to having no recognised defenders, however we weren't that bad to begin with. After 15 minutes, we were 1-0 up. When injuries, tiredness and to some degree lack of discipline in terms of positioning started to set in, that's when things went to pot.

With the greatest respect to everyone who has played so far, the first people I would look to put on the team sheet are Terry Moore and Loveday, Barney would also be one but he gives enough to Rovers and many other things for that matter so I fully respect he will only play when we are short, we should not keep mentioning him and other players as possibles if they have made their position clear.

I confirmed with Bill last night that their will be a 3 game ban for Danny and apologised on the club's behalf for the sending off. His dismissal came on the back of a contentious decision but knowing Bill as a fair ref and a good bloke we must take responsibility, as Danny did and focus on the next game without him and conincidentally Scott and Danny Green as they are both away.

You make a lot of assumptions in your posts Lol, and mention a list of missing defenders, 80% of which are not available, Warmers being the other. We had 8/9 players wanted to play this week who are REGULARS, all being well Terry will be back next week and possibly Loveday which will bring better balance, Rob Brown, Kizza and Stu are also coming back soon from Injury and with Rob perhaps Terry.

There is no need for this inquisition Lol, we are a good bunch of blokes even though most of them are southern. I do understand that you have seen my text and read lost 9-1 and Hagan sent off but shit happens. Your ranting started last night at 10:36 before you'd received any notification from the league or heared our side of things.

We had a discussion after the game and all admitted we were at fault both indivually and collectively, but when when 1 player doesn't turn up and ou have 1 quite badly injured player and another struggling to get a breath, you are going to struggle at 7 a side.

The sending off was unfortunate as it was in frustration but that's what makes Danny the good player he is and I wouldn't want that to change. He maybe a twat but he's a good twat.

We weren't good enough Lol but there is no need to threaten pulling us out the league.

Lol you should really find out exactly what has happened from people that were there before coming on here ranting.

A quick phone call to Tony would have been a lot easier than a new thread titled '7-a-side shambles!?'

Laurence Hughes
It also says that Danny was sent off when we were losing 'extremely heavily'...so that indeed backs up what I was saying, doesn't it ?!!!

Also, on a side note, what this bollocks all about? They don't even need to mention in the e-mail that we were losing at the time of the offence.

From the ref's point of view he shouldn't even mention that we were losing heavily at the time. Each bookable/sending off offence should be judged on it's own merit and not in relation to the score at the time! Sounds like he was angling for Dan if you ask me...

There was a couple of early free kicks conceded and ones we didnt get, so a couple of us got on Bill's back. From then on "most" decisions went Emeralds way, the incident leading to the sending off was a joke and he called bill a girl for being one-sided after the early appeals.

We wasn't losing heavily at the time it was 2 or 3-1 so once again thats bollocks.
To be honest Dan was right and he wasnt abusive, and if he could have heard what I was thinking then I would be probably banged up.

I am starting the free Danny Hagan facebook page if you would all like to join.

Lol I think you should just say well done Tony for getting a team out in a difficult week, delete this thread, and get to work on the videos notes for the northmet game.

Oh and Lol didnt someone get sent off last year for punching a player???? If so that 9 year record is wrong?

Lol, please.

As punishment for your over reaction I hereby sentence you to 5 years of out-takes dvd's to be done in time for our end of season do. (which no-one will turn up to, we'll lose loads of money, doom doom doom)

Laurence Hughes
So...we lost 9-1 and Danny Hagan scored but also got sent off. That's all I know (from a text that Tony King has sent me).

I was assured by our players that we would have no problems without me being involved this Summer, but what do we get ?
No Trev, no Terry Moore, no Loveday, no Barney...all on the same night, leaving Tony to organise everything on his own (by the sound of it).
Three bad defeats in our first three matches, probably due to us having no defenders again.
A sending-off for the first time in 9 years of us playing in the 7-a-side League...and probably several other problems that Tony has not told me about ?
I have no idea what the squad was or if certain players did not turn up.

I am almost certainly going to get an angry phone call or e-mail from Liz at the SHC tomorrow about this, so if certain individuals now have other priorities like sudden holidays, golf or cricket or cannot handle losing when they do turn up, I will not hesitate to pull us out of the League before even more damage is done to our previously good reputation.

I would like a full explanation of what went on tonight please.
Either on here or by e-mail.
Any stupid comments by Jacko will be deleted...and I mean it !

Bit of an over reaction ain't it?

Believe it or not Lol we actually went 1-0 up deservedly as well. We let in a soft goal shortly after and it went downhill from there.

The fact that we had a bare 7 with no defenders didn't help us. When the second half came around we were feeling it a bit, my hamstring flared up and could hardly run.

Danny got sent off for nothing - and this was after every decision constantly going against us, so yes we were understandably annoyed. However we never went round kicking the other team, in fact they were worse than us in that respect.

If we just had 1 sub and a proper defender there's no way we would have lost so heavily, if lost at all. It's almost like you don't want us to compete in the 7 a-side?

Blimey. I go shopping to Sainsbury's for a couple of hours assuming I wouldn't really get much response !

I am actually delighted that everyone has come on here and slagged me off, while re-assuring me that they are still prepared to play 7-a-side despite last night's defeat !
The reason I was getting concerned when I was told the scoreline was because when we started losing like that last Summer, it ended up with various players losing interest and me in goal for about 6 matches in a row.
When I left the League A.G.M. last night, I texted Tony for details of the match (for the website) but he only told me the score and that Danny had scored our goal but also been sent off. That was it. If Tony had e-mailed me when he got home last night with what he has just put on the Forum, I would not have needed to rant, rave and speculate at all.

If I hadn't have posted that message last night, nobody would have bothered coming on here at all to tell me what happened, that's for sure.
Trev e-mails me a Managers Report for the website straight after each match, but Terry, Tony and others don't/won't/can't do that.
Also, I didn't know that Bill the Ref had told Tony last night that Danny would be banned for three weeks, but only for the 7-a-side League and not the London F.A.
I thank Tony for apologising on behalf of the club as obviously myself and/or Trevor would have done the same had we been there. Also, well done to him for organising everything in difficult circumstances.

In answer to Dan Green, I am not saying that our players will get sent off for violence. I agree that we are not that way inclined.
I don't agree that Bill and Steve will now be looking to send off our players for dissent in future matches now that I have 'highlighted' it on here though. I think that's nonsense. Most other teams in the League are far worse than us for dissent anyway.

Rob
One sending off out of frustration, I certainly wouldn't hold that against a player if I was a manager or coach, in fact I would sort of admire his disappointment at being so comprehensively beat. I'm sure if Dan has had a red card I would have been close to it myself if I were playing.
Absolutely.
So would a few others from those who have played in our first three matches (because they are competitive players who are not used to losing)
...so we then end up with four or five players suspended for three weeks and we have to drop out of the League.

Tim
A quick phone call to Tony would have been a lot easier than a new thread titled '7-a-side shambles!?'
I'll have to get a 'hands-free' for my mobile then.
It was 10.30.p.m. by the time I had driven home from Cheshunt.

Rob
Sounds like he was angling for Dan if you ask me...

...and our players moan at me for assuming things when I am not there !

Dan G
delete this thread,
No chance !
It's a classic !
That's why I started it.

Dan G
Oh and Lol didnt someone get sent off last year for punching a player???? If so that 9 year record is wrong?
No.
Two opposition players were sent off against us last year for punching two of our players. (Danny Hagan and Tem).

I don't have time to look through all the books at the moment but I certainly cannot recall any of our players getting sent off at 7-a-side until now.
Trev can correct me if I am wrong.

still can't see an apology in there Lol? Admit when you're wrong & say sorry to the lads - Be big enough

My point is before ranting on the forum about what you thought had happened you should have spoken to him about what had actually happened, to be fair to Tony he is not going to go in to lots of detail in a text.

A simple we lost 9-1 and Danny Hagan got sent off would probably have been sufficient last night.

Was there any reason you had to put anything apart from the facts you had on the forum that night, could it not have waited until the morning when you may of had the full facts???

Laurence Hughes
If Tony had e-mailed me when he got home last night with what he has just put on the Forum, I would not have needed to rant, rave and speculate at all.

You're right, it's all my fault, how stupid of me!

Lol, you text me at 9:45 and got a reply straight away. You posted 10:36 and must have been writing the post for at least 5 minutes.

That left me about 45 minutes to write a report and send it to you. Not that writing a report for 7 a side is necessary anyway.

I will remind myself next time to hold the giant turd that I had a little longer and forego the once considered essential action of showering and eating after the game.

Conor McGovern
still can't see an apology in there Lol? Admit when you're wrong & say sorry to the lads - Be big enough
No problem.
I apologise.

My reply said 'I am actually delighted that everyone has come on here and slagged me off, while re-assuring me that they are still prepared to play 7-a-side despite last night's defeat !'

Doesn't look as if I am going to be welcome if I turn up next week does it ?

I will give the League Multi-Registraion Form to Trev to bring next Thursday (if he bothers to come round and see me when he gets back from Cyprus).

Bring your kit next week Lol cause this 7-a-side thing is a shambles

yeah lol..........and dont forget your gloves....for the next 6 weeks

stu
yeah lol..........and dont forget your gloves....for the next 6 weeks
and one of these ?

This is all good healthy discussion...but does anyone know why Dan G had not slept for two nights?

That sounds like a helluva party! On a school night(s) too.

Also Lol, just looking at that photo, why would you need to bring a cloche? Are you planning on serving food?

1 2