THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our 40 Registered Players - An Availability Check !

Right...I am now going to list all 40 of our registered players and how I see their current situation as regards their commitment in playing for the club.
Where requested, I want players to contact me either on here, by e-mail or by text/phone to clarify their situation.
If players do not give me an answer, I will phone them up after this coming Sunday's match to find out. If I still can't get hold of them, then I will take it that they have left the club and they will not be picked for any future squads.
Players who are clearly committed to the club by playing regularly, posting on this Forum or keeping in touch by e-mail or text are listed first.

MYSELF...No problem, apart from being too old to play !
STUART DORWARD......No problem.
CONOR Mc,GOVERN....No problem in general, apart from the fact that he is now going to HAVE to travel from Leigh-On-Sea when the weather is iffy, but I assume he is prepared to do this so that the club does not have any further non-fulfilments ?
TERRY MOORE.....No problem generally, although will he be prepared to put Rovers ahead of occasional Work Golf Days on Sundays if we are in danger of non-fulfilling ?
ALAN BARNARD....No problem.
DARRYL JOHNSON (GK)...No problem.
TONY KING.....No problem, apart from having to play on frozen pitches from now on !
MARTIN LOVEDAY....No problem (once he has finally recovered from injury).
CLARK WILLIAMS....No problem (once he has recovered from injury).
DANNY HAGAN......No problem, apart from being injury prone !
ROB BROWN.....Obviously committed, but I am worried about various work commitments he has had on Sundays so far this season. Does his job involve this happening again at short notice and possibly quite frequently ?
TERRY BROWN...No problem, apart from getting suspended for 5 weeks !
JIM ARROWSMITH....I am under the impression that he is enjoying playing for us and his wife will now let him play more-or-less every week. If that is NOT the case, will he be prepared to come along and go Sub on the rare occasions he CAN play ?
PAUL WOOLSTON....Can only play every other week due to babysitting duties, but that arrangement has worked fine so far as he has always been needed. Might have to go sub if we somehow manage to get the same team out two weeks running though.
STEVE COKELL....I heard Darryl say on Sunday that Steve is now looking to work most Sundays as he needs the money. I need confirmation of this from Steve, as it means we will have to leave him out of the squad every week and only use him as a replacement if he is suddenly available. Will he also be prepared to go sub ?
VERNON 'KIZZA' NXUMALO....Has been far too unreliable so far this season, mainly due to transport problems because he lives in Kings Cross (I think ?) and doesn't drive. If he is relying on trains running on a Sunday when there is always engineering work going on, then he is only going to continue being late or not turning up at all. Also, what is his work situation ? If he is often going to be called in to work at 8.00.a.m. on a Sunday morning, that is no good to us and he will have to be left out of future squads and only play as a last-minute replacement if others drop out. Can he get that sorted or give us a week's notice of when he is working on a Sunday ?
TEM ADIL...Too many last-minute excuses texted to me on a Sunday morning when it is too late to call up replacements. Again, same as Kizza, if his job (at the Arsenal Shop ?) involves being called in at 8.00.a.m. on a Sunday morning quite frequently, then that is no good to us and he will have to be left out of future squads and only play as a last-minute replacement if others drop out. Can he get that sorted or give us a week's notice of when he is working on a Sunday ?
DANNY GREEN...Too many work and social commitments and has hardly played at all this season, despite paying £25.00 Annual Subs. At least he lets us know well in advance though, but can he start playing more regularly ?
PAUL AMICO...Only seems to play when Danny Green plays, but he should know most of our players by now. I know he doesn't drive, but presumably Barney and others who live in the Palmers Green/Winchmore Hill area can arrange to give him a lift ? Has said he is keen to play whenever he DOES turn up, but never gets in touch of his own accord and he also owes over £25.00 in subs at the moment. I need to know what his commitment is. I'm sure he has posted on the Forum before ?
JAMIE MARTIN....From what Rob and Terry Brown are telling me, it looks like he has other commitments with his girlfriend now and is only prepared to play on a Sunday if he is needed for the starting line-up and when he knows that the game is definitely going to be on. I need confirmation that that is the case, as that is not really much good to us at the moment. I don't have Jamie's phone number. Has paid £25.00 Annual Subs !
DANIEL DALEY....Is always really keen when he turns up, but he was working a lot on Sundays before Xmas. The last time he got in touch with us (about a month ago), he said he would not be working on Sundays AFTER Xmas, but we have not heard from him since, so we don't know whether he cannot afford to play (he owes over £25.00 in subs at the moment) or whether he has just been assuming that games would not be played because of frozen pitches. Needs to get in touch and tell us what he is playing at.
GAVIN MARDELL...Was only signed up to help us out in emergencies anyway...but this IS an emergency ! I know he has posted on here that he wants to come training, but did he say to me that he does not want to come along and go sub on Sundays following that Lino incident against Great Eastern ? Please clarify...and be honest.
GREG CUMMINS....Has paid half his Annual Subs and played in our last game just before Xmas but has since failed to get in touch. We have no idea if he has been looking at the Forum and whether he knows we have been putting him in the squad. He told Trevor that he can only play when we are at Home due to family commitments though, but then said he could play Away to Cheshunt (Sunday), which was called off anyway. It looks like he thinks we should be phoning him every Saturday to tell him if he is in the team or not and where we are playing, as that's what his former club used to do.
JOSH DUBERRY...Exactly the same as Greg. Never gets in touch of his own accord. Told me in Pre-Season that he has a lot of babysitting commitments.
KRIS SPYROU....Is now fit again after a long injury lay-off, but told Trevor that he does not want to come along and go sub. Is he prepared to change that attitude ? Personally, I think Kris is a very promising player and has a good chance of getting into the starting line up anyway. Has paid £25.00 Annual Subs !
FOYSOL AHMED....Has paid most of his Annual Subs, but since pulling a calf muscle about two months ago, we have not heard anything from him. I know that he has a lot of various work commitments and he has told me before that he would rather work on Sundays than go sub every week, but the way things are at the moment he would get a fairly regular game in the starting line-up anyway.
JOHN 'Junior' BEASLEY....Re-joined at the start of the season because the League that his other club were in is crap, but he didn't pay any Annual Subs and the last thing we heard from him (about two months ago) was that he was 'injured'. We could definitely do with Junior playing regularly for us as he is one of our best-ever players, but has he gone back to his old club ? Has he got family commitments ? Is he still injured ? Where is he ? He used to be a regular on the Forum !
TONY SPELLER....Paid a £25.00 Annual Sub but then told us that he didn't want to come along to go sub every week because of family commitments. However, in the past couple of months he would have been in the starting line-up most weeks, but he has not been replying to e-mails, Forum messages and texts whenever we enquire as to his (and other players) availability. Does anybody know where he is ?!
JAMES WHITTICK...Paid a £25.00 Annual Sub but has only played in one Pre-Season Friendly and half a League match so far this season. Like Speller, he has not replied to e-mails, Forum messages or texts for months, so I have no idea what he is playing at. I cannot understand it, as he was a regular at 7-a-side during the Summer and was really keen to play 11-a-side for us. He could well have been a regular in the starting line-up by now. Does anybody know where he is ?!
SCOTT JENKINS...Paid his Annual Subs well in advance and was really keen to play. Then failed to turn up to a game because he was pissed, then got injured playing for Norsemen on Saturdays (back in November ?) and I have heard nothing since. We could do with him playing again (if he is going to be reliable).
ARON WHITE...Paid a £25.00 Annual Sub and was really keen at the start of the season, but then suddenly moved house to live in Potters Bar (I think ?) and we have heard nothing from him since. Never replies to e-mails and Forum messages and I don't have his phone number. Can Danny Green find out what he is doing ?
LUKE ILLSLEY...18-Year-old defender signed up to help us out in emergencies and only when needed for the starting line-up, but we never know until the last minute on a Sunday morning that we are going to be that short...and it's then too late to call him up because he goes to Church ! According to Jim Arrowsmith, there is little chance of Luke concentrating on Sunday football because of his Church commitments.
AARON ILLSLEY...(16-Year-old forward) Same as Luke.
RAMEL PALMER....Daley's 19-year-old Cousin signed about two months ago. Has yet to make his debut because whenever he has been available, Daley has not been available (and vice-versa) ! The only time they were both there and Ramel would have played, the game was called off because of a frozen pitch ! That was the last we saw of him, but if we can find Daley, then we should be able to get Ramel along as well as he seemed quite keen.
ANDREW WARMERDAM...Played 7-a-side as usual during the Summer and signed up to help us out in emergencies, but whenever we have one, he texts back every time saying 'Sorry, not available'. I know he has a lot of family commitments and concentrates on playing Saturday football, but it would be good to hear from him to see if there IS any possibility of him playing on Sundays again in the future.
OZEL OZERMAN (GK)....Said he was going to come training and to matches (as a sub and Lino if necessary) and make an effort to get into the side, but we have hardly seen him all season. Works as a Tesco home delivery driver (I think ?), so I think we can assume that he has been really busy and probably working on Sundays before Xmas, but what is he doing now. Oz is capable of playing as an outfield player if we are short, so he will be useful if he is prepared to come along and go sub.
SIMON JACKSON (GK)...Said he will go in goal for us on a Sunday if he is given a week's notice, as he is currently playing for another team in another League. Ideal situation for us if Darryl gives us a week's notice that he cannot play...except Jacko seems to be injury prone !?
GAVIN STACEY (GK)...Playing regularly for Norsemen on Saturdays, but presumably Danny Green can still get him to play in goal for us if needed ?
TIM BEEDEN (GK)...Signed up for emergencies. Is his knee strong enough for him to play in emergencies as an outfield player though (ahead of me) ?!
NICK VERTIGANS...Was registered during the Summer but then emigrated to Finland.

Please note that I am NOT having a go at anyone here. I just want everyone to be honest with me for the sake of the club. If you ARE, then we can easily get this situation sorted out and not have to fold.
The bottom line is that (in my opinion) we can no longer name players in the squad who are not prepared to go sub, and we can no longer name players in the squad who are in jobs where they quite often have to work at short notice on a Sunday morning.
If that leaves us with just a bare eleven or less most weeks, then we will just have to sign up even more new players. It doesn't matter how crap they are as long as they can play more-or-less every week and are prepared to go sub.

Re: Our 40 Registered Players - An Availability Check !

True statement for me - As you know I was willing to drive on Sunday but took your advice - Having said that I would have been majorly pi**ed off if I travelled a round trip of 100 miles only to have to play with 8 or 9 - If I can do it from Leigh-on-Sea then people from Enfield & surrounding areas can!

Work commitments for me will be few and far between but when they do occur I usually don't have much choice.

My other no show reason would occasionaly be The Arsenal, I have to be honest. For example I will be travelling to Cardiff for the FA Cup in a couple of weeks time for a lunch time kick off. However it looks like the fixtures are ok for the rest of the season after that except for playing Spurs on the 8th Feb.

Just to explain to everyone that work commitments on a Sunday are not a problem when I know by a Friday evening before the match, as I can usually contact a replacement on a Saturday morning. It's when players tell me anytime after mid-day on a Saturday that they are working the following morning that really screws things up. Invariably I get sent a text which I can't do anything about because I am working on a Saturday myself. By the time I get home at 8.00.p.m., it is far too late to get anybody else to play because they have already made arrangements to do something else.
Although Rob doesn't have much choice if he has to work on a Sunday, I strongly suspect that in a lot of cases, the Sunday morning last-minute work is offered as voluntary and players are accepting it because they think they are only going to be a sub 'anyway'. The problem is that we then have three or four players all doing exactly the same thing and we are left with a bare eleven or less. It has happened so many times over the last 2 or 3 years it's untrue.

Spurs v. Arsenal on Sunday 8th February (a 1.30.p.m. kick-off) is a prime candidate for our second non-fulfilment of the season.
We are now too late to use up our one allowable release date as the deadline was the 8th January, so we are going to HAVE to field a team on that date.
I suspect that Stuart, Danny Hagan and others will also be going to Spurs v. Arsenal and will want to get there early for a piss-up.
However, if we play at Hazelwood, it is possible to walk to Spurs in 30 minutes from there, so why can't Rob, Stuart, Danny, etc. play for us in the morning then have a piss-up AFTER the match. I'm afraid it might be a choice of that or us folding !

For the record, i'm from the north, we get frozen pitches in summer. I was ranting at the ref about it on Sunday as we only had 6 men.

Just to clarify my exact situation, i have a new baby and my wife isn't working and i don't want her to have to. I want to play as much as i can on sundays but if i get the opportunity to work and earn good money then i will work. I try to give you Lol as much notice as i can, but it isn't that often that i work sundays and i don't want to really. So i would like to be included in the squad every week and as it stands i shall be there sunday.

i have no problem in playing as long as we are at home and going straight to spurs after our game

Scott is still injured, and I will be suprised if he kicks a ball again this season.

Gavin - As long as UTD are not playing and he is given enough notice I could get him to play. I.E Sunday morning is not really good enough...

Paul is available Sunday and will confirm as much on here.

I am availble Sunday and will be for the next few weeks, every year I am down the darts, and I do have the odd work commitment, and a season ticket at Spurs....

Aron = Pretty sure you can cross him off the availibilty list to be honest... if he shows an interest again I will let you know.

As for last Sunday, if the pitch was frozen you do not play simple, it is dangerous.
I cannot understand how that game would have been called on and the one earlier in the season at home wasn't. Our home match that got called off was not that bad.

Anyway we will just have to make sure we have 11 every week regardless of the weather from now on.

Dan (Green)...are you prepared to forego a pre-match piss-up for Spurs v. Arsenal on the 8th Feb then, and play for Rovers in the morning before going to the match ?

I also need Stuart to answer that question URGENTLY !

There is a possibility that the League Fixture Secretary may still allow us to use up our one release date after the deadline, but I really don't want to go down that route because it will mean us having to play in midweek when I am filming Ebbsfleet or Grays.
Also, Trev is missing two Sundays in March when he is off to Cyprus again.

As long as I leave on or before 12:30 I don't mind, if its an away game it will be tight thou??

I'll be ok for 8th Feb

I'm available, and I don't have a problem going sub / running the line either for what it's worth. Not sure if I mentioned already, but I'm away for the weekend of the 8th of Feb, apologies if not. Also, there may be another Sunday / couple of Sundays that I can't make, but I'll let you know as soon as I know.

Cheers
Barney

Barney...no, I haven't got that one (8th Feb) on my list.

I don't think I can really ask for us to be released on that date until I know how committed most of our 40 registered players are as regards getting us out of this mess.

If we have the pre-match meeting this Sunday, then that should give us a better indication, but we are past the deadline already in requesting release for the 8th Feb, and I can't see it being allowed anyway because of the backlog of fixtures for everyone caused by the recent freeze.

An update on three of our 'missing' players...

SPELLER...Stuart spoke to him. He has got a new job working in Kent and is up to his eyeballs in that, together with family commitments/babysitting. I think Stuart said that Speller has pretty much retired from playing Sunday football now due to that. If that's the case, I would like to thank Tony for his services to the club over the years, and he will most certainly be added to the 'Greats Of The Past' section when I next update it.

DALEY...Phoned me a couple of days ago. He is currently out with a groin injury but has not had internet access for several weeks, so he didn't know we had been naming him in the squads. He is hoping to be fit for our next game on the 8th Feb and he will let us know by text nearer the time.

RAMEL PALMER (Daley's Cousin)...Is definitely interested in playing and does not mind going Sub (initially at least), so he will come along with Daley when we next have a game.

when is spellers testimonial?

I would say FOR now rather than now. If that makes sense. Never write the porky off...never!