THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Non-Fulfilment Away to East Herts

Since I posted the report on the website earlier this evening (Go to http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk/The%20Present/Match%20Reports/january.htm#EAST HERTS), I have been having a good think about certain things.
Most of the report is still fairly accurate, but having spoken to various League Officers and other people over the past few hours (Sunday evening), that last paragraph will now be removed (or re-worded).

Basically, I now think we deserve whatever we get thrown at us in terms of possible expulsion from the League if we have another non-fulfilment on top of this one...and Trevor agrees.

We are currently being absolutely slated by League Officers over what happened this morning, and myself and Trevor now think they are right.
There were several matches played on rock-hard frozen pitches this morning, and there were no injuries whatsoever in any of them.
The League are of the opinion that if the Referee has deemed the pitch playable, then you play...and any team that has half their players sitting at home assuming the game will be off deserves everything they get.

Back in the 70's and 80's, our players regularly played on frozen pitches and never once complained about it, neither did our opponents. They all turned up every week whatever the weather and they did NOT invent excuses just because they didn't like the look of the weather.
Do other teams in our Division not bother to turn up for Referees' pitch inspections ? No they don't. Their players are all there because they are a TEAM and all 'in it together', especially East Herts...and that's why they win a League Title or a Cup Final year after year after year.
What have WE done for the last 22 years ? Absolutely nothing except play for fun when players feel like it.

We are an absolute laughing stock at the moment.
We have 40 registered players and I cannot see a single player in the club who puts playing for Rovers as their No.1 priority on a Sunday morning.
Yes, we have roughly 10-15 who will play on average three out of every four weeks, but when we won a League and Cup double way back in 1979/80, we only used 14 players all season !
Players played through injuries and they still turned up and played even if they were ill or pissed.
Yes, I know 'times have changed', but you look at other teams in our Division and they only have squads of 16-18 players and invariably they all fight for each other as a team.
We have used 32 players already this season and we still have matches where we are fielding less than eleven.

For the remainder of the season, I think we are going to have to do the following, otherwise I will fold the club up...if we do not get kicked out of the League for another non-fulfilment anyway:
a) Either myself or Trevor will have to PHONE and SPEAK to every registered player and find out how committed they really are. We need to get confirmation from those who due to work or family commitments, can only play if we are short.
b) If players are not prepared to attend matches unless they are in the starting line-up, then we kick them out of the club.
c) If players persist in dropping out on a Saturday evening or a Sunday morning WHATEVER THE EXCUSE (leaving us with no chance of being able to call up a replacement and us fielding less than eleven), then we kick them out of the club as well.
d) We give players a bollocking in team talks (when necessary) whether it upsets them or not. If they can't handle it, then goodbye.

If, after we have done all that, we are only left with about 10 players, then we will deserve to fold up as it will prove that our players were never really committed enough to play for us in the first place.
Unfortunately, the way things have been going for the past few seasons, I suspect that will happen.
Hopefully, you lot can prove me wrong.

By the way, I will take my share of the blame as well.
It was me who advised Conor not to travel this morning and I have been as guilty as anyone over the past few years with negative comments about how crap we are on the field of play.

Obviously I cannot afford the club to fold as it would be disasterous for my business, so I will be doing everything I can to keep it alive, but I will definitely need your help !

Re: The Non-Fulfilment Away to East Herts

The facts are the pitch today should not have been deemed playable. However, with 40 odd players signed up, i cannot understand why we do not have AT LEAST 11 players available to play week in week out. I know there are genuine reasons as to why people cannot play, but for 20 odd people to not be available is beyond me. Conner I can understand living where he does with conditons like today. Would i want to drive from Lea on Sea to find the game called off (as many expected)? No i wouldn't. To me, that is the only exception in the case of today. But nearly all of us are "in the area" and should have made it. We have all payed our subs and are playing for a well run side DESPITE WHAT MANY THINK!!

We either deal with it on the forum or have a meeting within the next 10 days with ALL available members to attend.

Moving forward, do we say that EVERYONE signed up is in the squad for Sundays from now on and pick the best 11 from there with a view that, if you turned up you play next week guaranteed if you do not play the 1st week??
I don't know.

I do know that i am fed up with the situation as it stands.
We should have had 11 people there today despite the fact it should have been called off.
Is there a change of policy needed in terms of picking the squad?
Do we look for new players who are dedicated every week despite of the conditions?
Do we join with another club?

Again, there are people who cried off during the week and that is fair enough as individual circumstances change. I don't wanna sound like i'm having a go at everyone, but to a large extent i am.

What is the answer??

You must respond to this as we may not be around much longer at that would be a shame. We need to work this out ASAP.
For the first time in a while, i actually feel sorry for Lol having to call the game off in front of that lot and having to take some stick i the process.

I have to say, I was thinking exactly the same last night. I thought we were justified at the time in non-fulfilling but in retrospect it's a total embarrassment. I still don't think the pitch was playable but I would have played (begrudgingly)if we had had enough players.

I don't know why it is different today from 15 or so years ago when I started playing adult football, but it is. People should be playing through the knocks and the pissed hazes like they did then. To have only 6 players over there yesterday morning out of 40 odd is shocking really.

I was going to say that maybe having an older squad, family commitments etc doesn't do us any favours but the 6 players that did turn up yesterday were all 30+ years old (I think with the exception of Jim although he looks 40 ).

I think we all need to look at ourselves lads and decide exactly how much desire we have for carrying this team forward.

Think we're going to just have to pull together. We know that when we get a team out we're still a decent enough side. I reckon we try and get back on Soccer AM....e'one will want to play/join then!!

Some very good points there Deej.

To be fair to Conor, I think he WAS prepared to come all the way from Leigh-On-Sea (as opposed to Lea-On-Sea !), but I advised him not to bother !

What I cannot understand is why numerous players paid a £25.00 Annual Sub at the start of the season and have now simply disappeared !!!
I find that unbelievable.

The basic answer to our problems is that players are now going to HAVE to turn up and go sub (and possibly run the line) whether they like it or not.
If they are not prepared to do that, then we will have another non-fulfilment this season and the club will fold.

Rob is absolutely spot on with everything he said there.

Stu...getting even more players in and/or being on telly again wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.
We have got enough players already. It's just that far too many of them are lazy and they lack motivation. They need a good kick up the arse.
I am certain that most of them do NOT want the club to fold. They just have no idea of how strict our League is and how serious the situation is for us.

it was very tongue in cheek. The last thing we need is for teams to have the extra motivation in beating us!!

Can't really add anything from the comments made so far.

Come on lads....lets sort this out!

I loved Darryl's idea

'We either deal with it on the forum or have a meeting within the next 10 days with ALL available members to attend.'

Can I suggest a meeting 10.00 a.m. at Hazlewood next Sunday morning!

Not good lads... I think it would be nice to have a pre-game meeting on Sunday, and will happily turn up early if that's what we decide to do.

Cheers
Barney

I sent Stuart, Conor & Terry Moore an e-mail two days ago asking for a Management Committee decision on that, but I didn't get a reply !

If we are going to do it (and I suggested everyone getting there at 9.45.a.m. whether they are in the squad or not), then I really need to inform everyone by tomorrow, either by text or e-mail, otherwise it will be too short notice.

i would say 9-30, u know what some peoples punctuality is like

Terry is helping me do the changing rooms/nets job anyway, but I suspect Stuart and Conor may not be able to get there before 10.00 themselves due to family & travel reasons respectively.