THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Possible Friendly On Sunday 2nd September

Good news for Conor, Stuart Byhurst and Murf (if he is fit to play again).
There is a very good chance that we will be able to play a Friendly against Fobbing F.C. on the 2nd September.
They have a pitch available and are already due to be playing someone else on that date, but should be able to switch opponents.

Fobbing is off the A13 near Basildon.
It will take us about 45 minutes to get there from Edmonton/Enfield, but about 10-15 minutes for Conor, Stuart B & Murf !

I will know for definite by Monday afternoon when I film Grays v. Histon. (Some of Fobbing's players are Grays supporters).

They are a good side who have just been promoted into the Premier Division of their League (the Thurrock Association Sunday League).
The top team in that League are Ockendon Motor Spares, who lost 4-0 to Frenford in the Essex Sunday Senior Cup Final last season. We only lost 4-2 to Frenford in the London Cup last season.

We will have a lot of players missing (earning brownie points) but we should still be able to field a very strong side, so I think this is much more worthwhile than having training, even though we won't have a Manager. (Trev is going to Arsenal and I think Tarby is up in Manchester).

Re: Possible Friendly On Sunday 2nd September

Fobbing have now told me their current opponents on the the 2nd Sept don't wish to switch dates, so we we therefore won't be playing them now.

Don't arrange to do something else yet though, as there are still other possibilities.

We are now definitely having a Pre-Season Training session at Hazelwood this Sunday (starting at 10.30.a.m.) in preference to playing another Friendly.

Full details are now on the Forthcoming Fixtures page and all players have also been e-mailed.

Jesus Lol the defeat on Sunday was hardly 'disastrous' was it?

Although it's nice to pick up a result in pre-season it's just as important to get some games under our belts isn't it?

Don't forget there was a lot of players missing from Sundays game & the weather was proper scorchio. Let's not paint a doom & gloom picture just yet!!

I was only going on Wooly's reaction actually !
He seemed to be furious with virtually everyone all throughout the match and then stormed off afterwards.
I can't tell what's 'going wrong' until I see the video...and I haven't started editing it yet because I was filming Grays yesterday.

I agree that another Friendly this Sunday would have been better, even if we played more strong opposition and lost again, but what's the point when Trev and Tarby won't be there ?
We cant find opponents with a pitch available anyway.
If players decide to do other things because we MIGHT get a sh!t turnout at training this Sunday, what's the point in that either ?

I am not 'doom & gloom' about our squad at all.
I am more worried about how good Abbey Youth Old Boys were...and that other teams have strengthened their squads even more than we have.

Wooly can read but not post on the forum & he's asked me to post this on his behalf....

Have just seen Lol’s comments on the forum, but as I can’t post I wondered if you could put him straight for me.

I didn’t have the hump with everyone like he claims. It was because it was obvious what was going wrong but Trevor chose not to listen or change how we were set up when I started to talk about it at half time. I didn’t storm off, I had family commitments.

I would prefer it if he didn’t ‘quote’ me or make assumptions about what I’m thinking or doing too!

I wish I didn’t have to do this but whenever I email him something like this he doesn’t post it.

Actually, I agree with you that we should look at the game in context. It will be a different side for the first league game.

Rant over

Cheers

Paul Woolston

No problem. Fair comment.
As I have always said, this is what the Forum should be for.
A decent debate and to get things off our chests.
I now know why it looked as if Wooly stormed off !

Had a chat with Terry giving him a lift home and he agreed that it was much better me arranging Friendlies against good opposition than having an easy win (as we did in our only Friendly last Summer). It's a kick up the arse and we now know how strong we are or not without certain players and what we need to do to improve.
A 5-1 win against inferior opposition on Sunday would have probably given a false impression.