THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squad For Our Next Pre-Season Friendly (Sunday 19th August)

We currently only have 9 'definites' for our Pre-Season Friendly against our ex-keeper Shaun O'Neill's side Hatfield Heath this coming Sunday.

These are Terry Moore, Alan Barnard, Tony Speller, Tem Adil, Danny Hagan, Steve Cokell, Daniel Daley, Tony King & Foysol Ahmed.

Robin Pryke, Clark Williams, Conor Mc,Govern, Peter Murphy, Derek Dorward and Stuart Byhurst were already definitely unavailable (together with 2 or 3 prospective new players who are away on holiday at the moment), while Stuart Dorward is also now unlikely to play due to work & family commitments and Nick Vertigans (who was initially interested in playing) seemed to change his mind last night when I told him it was a 10.30.a.m. kick-off in a village four miles past Harlow with a 9.15.a.m. meet at the Southbury Leisure Centre ! (Nick now lives in Central London and would have to get up at 7.00.a.m. in order to play).

However, we still have the following players to chase up to play in this game (if they are interested):
Simon Jackson (GK)...Wants to play in this match but may have family commitments. Will let us know later in the week.
Martin Loveday...As an outfield player if Jacko plays, or in goal if he doesn't.
Mark Dyer...As an outfield player if Jacko plays, or in goal if he doesn't.
Leon Mc,Kenzie-Mc,Kay...We obviously want him to play following his performance last week !
Kris Spyrou...If he is not working again.
Vernon 'Kizza' Nxumalo...Depending on family commitments following a bereavement.
Paul Woolston...Is on holiday in Ireland at the moment and we are not sure if he is back in time for Sunday.
Paul Ellerker...Didn't get back to us last week to say if he could play or not last Sunday. ('Disappeared' ?)
Gary Cokell...If he is not working, babysitting, playing Tennis or playing Vets Football !?
Darryl Johnson...As an outfield player because of his broken thumb. (Steve Cokell reckons DJ is a good centre-half !)
Andrew Warmerdam...Depending on family commitments ?
Shen Plumb...Tem's mate who didn't turn up last Sunday. Apparently he has had trials with Luton though, so he is worth having a look at.
Emmanuel Peter...Daniel Daley's mate who didn't turn up last Sunday. (Again, we'll give him a second chance).
Mauricio Sales...A Brazilian midfielder who has just e-mailed us asking to join. (Seems to be genuine and NOT a 'Jacko' wind-up like the one on the Forum).
Daniel Daley also has another mate wanting to join us after turning down a professional contract for Dundee ! (I'm sure that's what Daley said, but I'll believe it when I see it).

Although the venue for this Friendly is miles away, I'm fairly confident that we can get more than just a bare eleven there this week.

Re: Squad For Our Next Pre-Season Friendly (Sunday 19th August)

Yep I'm ok for Sunday....

Cheers

Looking forward to playing the mighty Rovers.

be aware there may or may not be sandwiches in the local watering hole after the game. However do not get lot as it is a bit like the wicker man when strangers arrive in the heath.

Good job Stu is backing out, they love a Hugh Grant lookalike round these parts.

My understanding was that Nick was persuaded to play by the thought of the post match sandwiches. If they are now off the menu we could be one short.

We are now down to just 8 'definite' players for Sunday.

These are Jacko (GK), Barney, Terry, Speller, Danny Hagan, Steve Cokell, Tony King & Daniel Daley.

There are a few others who are 'might be's, but virtually all of them won't make a decision until Saturday night or Sunday morning.

If anybody else can play this Sunday, please let me know as soon as possible, and if any of the players who ARE playing can bring others along to play who might be interested in playing for us (e.g. AFC Bush Hill Park players...except for the 'hacker'), then that will help a great deal.
I don't want to call this game off.

Lol if you are gonna struggle to get a team it needs to be called off before the end of today.

Sorry but we cannot dick around and can get other opposition or I can get lashed on my annual Saturday night piss up.

This is a massively difficult decision for me.

I am just too busy with work at the moment to phone or text all the 'might be's' today...and even if I do that, most of them won't make their mind up until Saturday between 12.00.mid-day and 8.00.p.m. anyway (when I am out working and un-contactable).

I therefore ALSO need to know by the end of today if we have got enough players.

I know what's going to happen...If I call it off, we will end up with plenty of players saying they would have been available, and if I don't call it off, we will have people dropping out on the day of the match and leaving us down to 10 men (or worse).

Shaun...I'll e-mail and text you at about 5.00.p.m. today to confirm one way or the other.
It's up to the 'might be's (including a certain club captain ?) to get their arses in gear and make a decision TODAY ! (Preferably on this Forum so we all know what's going on).

I will try.

Lol and chaps

I have spoken to the manger and we are getting a mix of 1st Ressies and Sunday side so we may be able to chuck a couple of players your way- I will leave it till Sat Night before making a decision on the game.

Lol if you could give me a bell on my mobile by 8pm as I am out after that- Woooooo Hoooooooo!

Steve Cokell has now told me he is unlikely to be playing this Sunday due to a 'massive blister' (over to you, Deej/Scott ? ).

Seriously though, that's not good news, although Foysol has just confirmed that HE can play, so that's still 8 definites.

I have somehow found time to text and e-mail everyone, but from the replies I have received already, Stuart (Dorward), Warmers and Gary Cokell are definitely NOT playing.

The 'might be's' I am still waiting to hear from are:
Nick Vertigans
Daniel Daley's three mates (including Leon)
Wooly (Still in Ireland but my text has been delivered to him)
Paul Ellerker
Darryl (To play as an outfield player)
Kizza

Barney is also trying to get Martin Loveday to play again (as an outfield player), and if Jim Arrowsmith CAN play, if he could bring the A.F.C. Bush Hill Park yougster he mentioned to me last night, that would be great.

The problem is, we need at least 4 of the above to confirm their availability before 5.00.p.m. tonight, but usually, most of them don't respond to texts or e-mails at work in the afternoons.

Another thing I should mention is that I am NOT calling up certain individuals who (as we know from the 7-a-side League) are not good enough, just so that we can field a team.

I know I played last Sunday and we still won, but I only want people who are good enough for Division One playing from now on.

Right, it's looking a lot more promising now, and I would say 'game on' at the moment.

Paul Ellerker is 'not available' (again), but Nick and Tem are both going to play, even though Nick won't get much sleep and Tem won't get any at all !!

I make that 10, or 11 including Jim Arrowsmith, 12 including Martin Loveday, and possibly as many as four others, which will be ideal if half our team are suffering from blisters, or are pissed or tired !?

Also, as Shaun said, we can borrow a couple of the oppostion if necessary (like we did last Sunday).

Right i'm in and so's my mate Dan Crook - he's very good and maybe looking for a new team though you're probably not short of players for the season.

See you Sunday

Jim, we used 29 different players last season, so we need as many as we can get.

A typical month for your average Rovers player is:
1st Sunday...Away in Dublin, New York, Finland or wherever with the missus.
2nd Sunday...Groin Strain
3rd Sunday...Babysitting
4th Sunday...Playing for Rovers !!!
5th Sunday...Working