THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Video Notes From Frenford Match

I have upped one or two marks out of 10 having now edited the video.
Colin, Tony King, Del and Danny Hagan were all 7 out of 10's instead of the 6.5 that Trev gave them, and Kris was a 6.5 instead of a 6. I know Kris was only on for 8 minutes but he did a good through ball to set up a chance for Stuart and didn't do much wrong in the time he was on.

The only other players who were less than a 7 were Steve Cokell (who would have been a 7, but he has to be docked half a mark really for those two bad misses when clean through), and Ozel, who made three good saves but was 'at fault' for three of their goals.
When I say 'at fault', it's basically in just being too small , but then maybe Darryl might not have made the save Oz did when he dived at the No.9's feet in the First Half. A 6.5 it has to be for Oz though.

For their 1st goal, Wooly was obviously calling everyone 'out of the box' for Oz to come and claim the ball...but he didn't. (As we let in an identical goal the week before with John in goal, we maybe need to stop those tactics if Darryl isn't playing ?)

For the 2nd goal, the near post flick went over Oz's head on the line whereas it would have hit Darryl in the chest. Good goal though.

Their 3rd Goal...The No.10 was definitely a yard offside and Foysol (Lino) wasn't concentrating.
Unfortunately this is going to keep happening when we are forcing 'anyone' to run the line, and unless we find a regular lino, we are going to concede a lot more goals like that this season...and lose more matches because of it.
The way the game was going at the time, I think we would have gone on to win the match if we hadn't conceded then.

Their 4th Goal...Something went wrong with the zonal marking to allow their No.10 (not a tall player) a free header. It looked as if Nick Vertigans was the nearest man but didn't attack the ball.
However, again the actual header went straight over Ozel's head when it would have been an easy save for Darryl.

As myself & Trevor didn't go down the pub after the match, we didn't do the marks as a general consensus of opinion this time, but nobody has queried them so I presume everyone agrees !?

After a bit of a nightmare first 10 minutes, we were definitely the better side thereafter, having 12 'clear-cut'/good chances compared to their six.
We also had more possession and passed the ball about better than them.
All you can hear on video is their Manager bollocking them and a lot of arguing because we had them under pressure.

I spoke to their Secretary via e-mail afterwards and he said they had four first-choice players missing, including their normal keeper...so pretty much the same as us then !
He also confirmed that himself, their Manager and their Lino (Assistant Manager) used to run Memorial Sports, who were basically the best Sunday team in the South of England for a 5-year period up until a year or so ago when they folded.
Some of Memorial Sports players were playing on Sunday, and I think Frenford's No.10 (who scored a hat-trick) plays for Barkingside on Saturdays (Essex Senior League). They also had players playing against us who played for the London F.A. Representative side last season. Their Captain was one of them.

However, having now watched the video, I didn't think they were half as good as Trent Park (Arkay). They were well dodgy at the back, especially their No.5, while I didn't think their big No.6 was a good defender at all. Trev thought he was their best player !?
Their best players were definitely the No.10 and the little No.9 in midfield ('Dobbo').
I thought we played really well to compete (and at times outplay) players as good as that, and I'm now really looking forward to the rest of the season.

Finally, I didn't get Nick Vertigans' shot for the Own Goal very well as there were too many players in the way, but I have put it on Clip Of The Week anyway.

Also, as I said in my match report, I didn't get much of the Referee's antics before the kick-off as it all caught me by surprise and I didn't have the camera turned on.
I noticed the players had to shout out 'keeper ?' for him though !
What can you tell us about what happened over there, Stu ?