THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Few Things

1) After a discussion down the pub following yesterday's match, we are now thinking of putting the date of the 30th Anniversary Dinner back to the last Friday in October or first Friday in November. This is because we are finding it difficult to contact a lot of former players in time for the 29th September.
It is by no means certain that we will be 'allowed' to do this by the venue because of licensing 'laws', but in the meantime we would like to know if anyone thinks this is a good idea or not.
Conor thinks we should have the Dinner on a Saturday night, but that would mean we have to use up our one allowable 'release' date already, which is a bit risky when someone might have a Stag Do (or whatever) on a Saturday night later in the season.

2) Regarding the goalkeeping situation, apparently Darryl told some of our players on Thursday night (at 7-a-side) that he has just been promoted and now has to work on Sundays again. I don't know whether this is for the whole season, but we really need Darryl to let us know 'officially' a.s.a.p.
Personally, I think John Rice will be a good keeper, especially with some proper coaching, but we are having to throw him in at the deep end at the moment and it's unfair on the lad when we play opposition as good as we faced yesterday.
Colin made a very good point to me after the game in that John CAN attend training in midweek, but we no longer have an Astroturf to train on (with a full-size goal).
Maybe an answer is for Jacko to be a temporary goalkeeping coach for John and they go over Enfield Playing Fields one evening a week (on the grass for free) and use the meagre light from the Astroturfs ?
That's when Jacko is not working abroad of course !
I believe Ozel works Tuesday-Friday evenings ?

3) Another thing we talked about down the pub yesterday was the fact that our Club Rule of players phoning us to find out what is going on if they are not on the Internet is 'not working' !?
This is in relation to a club member who has apparently got the right hump that I didn't phone or text him to inform him of certain things.
The reason I didn't do that at the time he was referring to was because my old mobile phone was absolutely useless for texting and also because I can only phone people between Monday-Friday 9-5 because I am working at all other times. (Exactly the opposite to everybody else's lifestyles !)
Okay, from now on I will text people a lot more often (as my new mobile phone is much better for that), and I will also phone people between Mon-Fri 9-5 and 'annoy' them at work. How's that ?

4) After yesterday's debacle, I'm not sure the Club Linesman Rota System is going to work. If everybody who gets lumbered with it is going to get the hump and not do it properly, then we are going to let in goals that are offside, lose more matches and Trevor will then have to run the line every week.
That will mean no more tactical substitutions and players who have been named as substitutes 'stewing' on the touchline. In fact, some of them might even walk off and go home. The result...chaos !

5) Yesterday's match...We MUST just treat it as a one-off. We had eight players out on the piss the night before and that is not going to happen every week.
Yes, we are playing a team this coming Sunday who are as good as Enfield Rangers O.B./I.M.L. Red Cow/Risden Wood by all accounts and we have a severely depleted side, but if we put eleven 'sober' players in our starting line-up (including a more experienced keeper) there's no reason why we cannot compete and give them a decent game.