THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thursday Night 7-a-side League Confusion !

You can ignore what's on the Thursday Night 7-a-side League page of OUR website at the moment (and my 'preview' of 'The Kings' match next Thursday on the fixtures page), as the following link: http://www.fixs.co.uk/view/compview.asp?DivisionID=5357&offset=30 to the Thursday Night League table on the Southgate Hockey Centre's website seems to indicate that Trent Park (Arkay) have now withdrawn (or been chucked out ?) and all their results have been expunged.

I have e-mailed the Southgate Hockey Centre to try and find out what's going on, but I am still awaiting a reply.

It looks like bad news for us though, as we were one of the few teams to beat Trent Park (Arkay), so we now HAVE to win our last match of the Qualifying Group stage next Thursday to ensure our place in the 'Cup League' as it may only be the top FIVE who now qualify instead of the top six.
(If it's still the top six, then we only need a draw).

Equally confusing is that The Kings seem to have changed their name back to 'Old Boys' and Far From Athletic now seem to be called 'Wood Green Old Boys'.

Re: Thursday Night 7-a-side League Confusion !

I have now spoken to Liz at the Southgate Hockey Centre and she says that Trent Park (Arkay) HAVE withdrawn (of their own accord) and their results HAVE been expunged.
However, she is not making a decision on whether it is the top six or the top five who go into the 'Cup League' until AFTER Thursday night's final Qualifying games.
That means we now HAVE to win our last match as a draw might not be good enough.

She also said that The Kings HAVE changed their name back to 'Old Boys' but we are going to have to play them at 7.00.p.m. instead of 8.00.p.m. this coming Thursday because they have got to play another game at 9.00.p.m. (against Jubilee) and need a break in-between !
I am currently trying to persuade Liz/the SHC to play our game at 9.00.p.m. instead of 7.00.p.m., but if 7.00.p.m. is more preferable than 9.00.p.m. for our players, I will leave it as it is. (Over to you, Conor ?)
We definitely can't play at 8.00.p.m. though.
However, Liz warned us that there is a possibility that 'Old Boys' might only be prepared to play ONE match on Thursday night and they might not turn up for the 7.00.p.m. kick-off (against us), so she is trying to contact them to make sure.

Also, Far From Athletic never actually played in the League !
They were replaced by Wood Green Old Boys after their first five matches were written off as 5-0 wins to their opponents, but Liz didn't know how to change the team names on the software for the League Tables.
We therefore played Wood Green Old Boys, NOT 'Far From Athletic'...and it was no wonder we lost 4-2 to them, as Wood Green Old Boys are a top AFA club from Saturday football and much better than Terry's Old Edmontonians !?

We have certainly had a lot of bad luck here.
Firstly, we have lost out by Trent Park (Arkay) dropping out.
Secondly, we had to play Wood Green Old Boys when most other teams got a 5-0 walk-over against Far From Athletic,
and Thirdly, we are having to play the 'Old Boys' (i.e. The Kings...who couldn't field a team when we were originally supposed to play them) because there is a spare night to fit the fixture in, whereas earlier in the Summer, International were given a 5-0 walkover when WE couldn't field a side (because at that time there were no spare dates to re-arrange the game on).

However, I look at the 7-a-side League as a chance for our players to keep fit and to try out new players above anything else, and I don't think it's in our interests to ask for the points against 'Old Boys' this coming Thursday instead of playing the game...even though we might lose and end up in the 'Plate League' with Mr. Wildgoose reffing us every week !

Also, if we end up not having a game this Thursday, we should use the pitch for a training session between 7.30.-9.00.p.m. (we can book it to do so...probably free of charge) and then get 14-16 of our own players over there (including myself).

Your opinions please ?

Re: Thursday Night 7-a-side League Confusion !

I also notice they have a corrected score up there...Casuals 'A' 5 Wood Green Old Boys ('Far From Athletic') 1 instead of the other way round !

...so yes, we WERE 'shit' in that 4-2 defeat to Wood Green Old Boys ('Far From Athletic') after all !