THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
11-a-Side Pre-Season Friendly...If We Want It !

Flamstead End, who finished 3rd in Division Four last season, have asked us if we would like to play them in a Friendly on Sunday 30th July.
They have a pitch available, presumably at the Cheshunt Club in Albury Ride. (Their normal home ground).

As we have a number of new players playing 7-a-side for us at the moment (and several others who can only play on Sundays and can't play 7-a-side because of work commitments), I think we should go for this, giving priority to those particular players...IF THEY ARE AVAILABLE.

I am looking at a side something like:
Rob Abrahams (GK)
Bill Wheeler (RB)
Alan Barnard (CH)
Cameron Peart (CH)
Peter Murphy (LB)
Matt Crawley (RM)
Paul Ellerker (CM)
Boyd Mc,Taggart (CM)
Tony King (LM)
Derek Dorward (CF)
A.N.Other (CF)
then five subs from other players who cannot play 7-a-side the week before or the week after that particular date, or are happy with only two days rest after playing 7-a-side the previous Thursday (ideally Stuart Dorward, Conor Mc,Govern, Paul Woolston, Terry Moore, Foysol Ahmed, Kris Spyrou, Juneka Junior, etc.)

What we have to be careful of is having a situation where we end up with only 3 or 4 players for the following night's 7-a-side game because too many others 'have blisters' from playing the day before, something which happened last year when we went in the Risden Wood Tournament and myself & Trevor ended up having to play 7-a-side !

Can I have some feedback on this please, especially from Murf.

Re: 11-a-Side Pre-Season Friendly...If We Want It !

Lol, would love to play but am on Ozzi's stag that w/e...

What about Sunday 27th August (Bank Holiday Weekend) ?

We could play a Friendly then as we have no 7-a-side match on Bank Holiday Monday (29th), but if 'everyone' is going away that weekend it would be no good.

I am also away that w/e on the annual IoW scooter run...the two dates you suggest aside, I am not away at all this summer at mom!!

The two dates I have mentioned are the only dates Flamstead End have a pitch available to play us in a Friendly.

I'd be up for it Lol

Although I listed those 10 players, we already know that Murf is unavailable for both dates and I would be very surprised if we have any more than three or four available from the others.
Quite a few of these prospective new players don't particularly want to play Sunday morning football at the moment for one reason or another, although we would definitely like them to, which is why we are letting them play 7-a-side.

I would rather play Flamstead End on the 30th July as we know what has happened in the past whenever we have fixed up a Friendly for the late-August Bank Holiday Weekend and we don't want that happening again !

I spoke to Osborn yesterday and he told me his Stag Do is in Bournemouth on the 30th July, so I assume from that that Stuart, Del, Conor, Wooly and others would all be going ?
If that's the case, we could be left fielding a side on the 30th made up of most of the Monday Night 7-a-side team, which would then cause problems for us in fielding a team for the 7-a-side match the following night.

Stuart, where you say 'I'd be up for it, Lol', do you mean for the 30th July or the 27th August ?
...and what is Conor doing on the 30th July ?

Osborns Stag

Sorry Lol I meant 27th August as am also at Osborns stag

Text deleted

Flamstead End are still asking if we want to play them on that Bank Holiday Sunday (27th August) before they offer it to another team.
They need to know by this weekend.

So far, only Murf has said he is unavailable, but I suspect most of our players will not know what they are doing that weekend until about a week beforehand.

Do I take a risk and go ahead with this Friendly then ?

It is a 10.30.a.m. kick-off at the (Tesco) Country Club in Cheshunt.

Ooo that is tempting as it is a nice surface over there - As you suspect Lol, I along with everyone else would love to say yes now but could very likely pull out nearer the time. I work hard mate, long w/ends are rare & good opportunities to get away.

It's your shout whether to commit or not.

I'm getting quite a few responses by e-mail, so I should be able to make a sensible decision by the weekend.