THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Last Night's Match

As Trev doesn't do his Manager's Report until the end of the week, I thought I'd just put a few 'thoughts' here as I'm sure our Thursday Night squad are interested in what happened last night !?

Our opponents Crazy Horse were top of the table with three wins out of three and we were bottom of the table with three defeats out of three.
We also had Steve Cokell and goalkeeper Ozel Ozerman both drop out only a couple of hours before kick-off.
Steve was working late which was fair enough, but Oz's absence was a bit annoying. It's the same old story of a lack of communication. If he cannot make 7.00.p.m. kick-offs on Mondays because he doesn't get home from College in time (or relies on Colin for a lift for 7.00.p.m. kick-offs as they go to the same College), why was I not informed of that a few days earlier ?!

With Colin and Bill Wheeler both on holiday we were left with only six players, but fortunately Gary Cokell and Tem & Dan's mate 'Ed' both played at short notice with Gary volunteering to start the match in goal.
I had not seen 'Ed' play before and had heard reports from those who had seen him at training that he was 'shit' ! He was very ungainly and a bit overweight, but he actually did o.k. in a defensive partnership with Ritchie Copues and was very effective in blocking shots and clearing the ball out of defence.
In fact we were only losing 1-0 right up until 3 minutes from time thanks to some good defending by those two and some good saves by Gary Cokell and we really should have been level at least as Tony Speller missed an absolute sitter when he dummied the keeper to leave himself with an open goal but then tried to pass it square and allowed the keeper to make a save ! Speller then had a header miraculously saved just after that...yet again we were up against a team with a proper and quality keeper...and we also had several other good chances in a decent spell in the Second Half.
However, when they scored a second in the 47th minute to kill the game off, Gary Cokell then got really annoyed that he was still stuck in goal and I think their 3rd & 4th goals came about because of that...and I don't blame him at all for not making much of an effort to save them.

Yes, I am still really annoyed about our goalkeeping situation, both on Mondays and on Thursdays.
I am now going to put an advert on the League Website for a goalkeeper to play regularly from 7.00.p.m. onwards on BOTH nights with a view to being our first-choice keeper at 11-a-side next season.
If Darryl, Simon and Oz have better things to do and/or can't keep me informed of their availability then that is no good to us at all as we are not going to win anything with outfield players in goal every match.

Just a few more comments on players individually...

'Ed'...Can you (or someone) please give me your full name for the club records/website please !
Also, our players who have played 7-a-side recently will have noticed they have now put up 30-foot high netting behind the goals to stop balls going into the bushes. However, in the warm-up, Ed still managed to boot one of our practice balls over that and into the bushes in trying a shot into an empty net !
Although he did better than expected last night, I will not be picking Ed for the squad next week ahead of Steve & Gary Cokell, Ozel and Bill Wheeler if they are available. However, I will give him another chance whenever we are left with a bare seven again and he can play instead of me.

Tem...How can somebody of his age seemingly put on a stone in weight in the space of two weeks (since he last played) !? Tem, you are going to have to start going on a diet as you are not going to be able to play in Division One next season unless you improve your fitness. Speller (who used to be known as 'Porky') is the man for advice !

Dan...In complete contrast to Tem, I was impressed with Dan's level of fitness and I was actually pleased that he came off the pitch at the end really annoyed that we had lost 4-0 after it had been a close game for 47 minutes. I like to see that attitude as it really hurts me as well when we lose like that.
What Dan has to work on now as a forward is in making the right runs into channels and how to lose his marker. I can't remember him having a shot last night because his runs were in a straight line and too predictable. It was easy for defenders to mark him.

Nick...Is holding onto the ball for too long and getting caught in possession, but we all had a chat about that in the bar afterwards and sorted that out. More quick one-twos are needed as it is taking too long for moves to build up and we are allowing defenders to get back. (A massive difference to how the Thursday Night team are playing).

Warmers, Speller & Ritchie...Are all improving their fitness and playing reasonably well at the moment despite the results.

In general though, the Monday Night team's biggest problem is the lack of a goalscorer/proper forward, but at least the team spirit is fairly good and everyone is still keen to carry on playing despite the results.
Hopefully Steve Cokell and/or Kizza might be available to play on Monday nights soon, so that might make all the difference.

Re: Last Night's Match

am available for next monday , as long as finish on time will have 20 mins to get there from tottingham

i'll lose a stone or two by the next game no probs.

Alrite lads! Cheers for the game yesterday. My name is Ediz Mehmet ( Turkish Cypriot for the record)

just call me Ed as u do! lol

Lol

Considering you have thrown me out of the club for profanity (thats rude words for you thick kants), why the fack would I bother giving you my availability, you pr1ck! You may also want to use your 'super password' to block my IP address as well.

Blocking your I.P. address wouldn't be any good.
You are in Bermuda one week, Hawaii the next, the South Of France the next, etc., etc. !

Yeah this is true, but surely with your 'super administrators password' anything is possible, surely it could even create a WIN for you !

Re: Re: Last Night's Match

As i have previously said, i CANNOT make 7.00/7.30 kick off's on either day. Also i CANNOT confirm my availability until i have finished work which can be up to 8.30pm by which time i'm fcuked and just want to go home.
Ta

Fair comment regarding your unavailability for 7-a-side Darryl, as you did tell me that by e-mail.

But what about 11-a-side next season ?

You will probably say 'Yeah, will definitely play every week', but because of the past two seasons how can I be convinced that's going to happen. I'm sure you know that your ex-Beehive colleagues suspect that your long-term absences on Sundays are nothing to do with work (or a groin strain)...or maybe they are just being cynical ?

This is why I have got to get another keeper in NOW before they all get snapped up by other clubs.
We can't have a situation where come the first Sunday in September you, Simon & Oz all suddenly declare yourselves unavailable for one reason or another.

Well, to be fair, the groin strain was a killer. You could tell it wasn't right as the season went on as my goal kicks were getting worse and worse. I remember the cup game near St Albans when we lost after extra time as the worse for me. I was in agony. I can say that I do want to play every week, however, I do have work commitments and right now I can't say i'll be available week in week out. I will sign on and hopefully in the next month or so i can be more specific.

O.K., that's fine by me.

Of course another problem is a lack of practice for you, Simon & Oz if you miss out on 7-a-side matches.
Simon played last night and made a bit of a howler for one of their goals which I'm sure was down to that, but he signed the League Multi-Registration form and agreed with me that I have to advertise for a keeper who can play on a regular basis.

This also goes for outfield players.
If we have people who dont want to (or can't) play on a regular basis on a Sunday but might be able to play the odd game here and there when needed, they should sign the Multi-Registration Form NOW if they are not going to be signing up for another club in our League.

Trev can confirm what the situation is for those players regarding the payment of Annual Subs. Maybe he might only charge them £10.00, which is what I pay ?

Yeah i understand about the match practice but to be honest, i don't really gain anything other than bruises to my legs, arms and fingers. I would rather run about for the hour. I agree we need to sign another keeper but you are then looking at possibly 4 of us available almost every week. It will be hard for us to get a run in goal as the longer you are not playing the harder it is to hit the ground running when you are selected. However, in saying all that, we probably won't have all of us available more often than not and still need an outfield player in goal. Again, until the next month or so is over, i can't say to you that i can play every week.

Can I just say, it is touching to see that Lol and Jacko were at one anothers throats at the start of this post, but by the end of it they have kissed and made up, agreed on something, registration forms have been signed and then Lol has to go and ruin it by mentioning another of Jackos Howlers.
It must have been reasonably bad though as he hasn't come on here and called you a Kant yet Lol.

Ritch, it looked worse than it actually was. Just think of a 3 year old trying to pick up a ball wizzing past him and him missing it and you'd be on the right track! It would have made Jacko look better if he hadn't actually moved

Text deleted