THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Last Night's 7-a-side Match

After my rant on here the other day, I think it's best I say a few things about last night's match.

Although we lost 5-0, I'm glad to report that everyone turned up, the team spirit was good and we played better than the week before. I had a good chat to several players about what I wrote and we cleared the air a bit and were in agreement with some things, not so much with other things.
After the game, the older players told me they are happy to keep playing on Mondays with the youngsters as they are sure things will improve the more games we play with a settled team.

One thing that was still glaringly obvious last night though was the lack of proper constructive calling, not just by the youngsters, but by the older players as well, and several players I spoke to agreed that it would be ideal if Wooly could play on a Monday night as he is the best in the club at organising things on the field of play and telling players what to do. I will investigate.

Again though, the youngsters still need to learn that if you are playing in midfield, you MUST 'track the runner' (i.e. your immediate opponent in midfield) if he goes on a run upfield, and you do NOT 'pass him on' for the defenders to deal with...unless they give you a CALL that they can cope with that. There were so many times last night when Tem (in particular) let the runner go, leaving our two defenders facing two or three attackers.
There is nothing wrong with the youngsters' fitness and enthusiasm though, but having studied the game a bit more closely last night than I normally do, I can see why our older players get frustrated by them when it comes to tactical awareness.

As I said though, I'm sure that things will continue to improve on Monday nights.
Oz and Colin took the game more seriously last night, which was good to see, although it was a bit disappointing to see Oz let in a couple of goals which seemed to go straight through him...but then it was very wet and windy.
Dan battled well up front and I think that is a better position for him than in midfield as he is fit enough to put defenders under pressure, while that was the best that Ritchie has played for a long while and Speller is gradually regaining his fitness after being out for so long.
Warmers, Nick and Bill are still getting to know all their new team-mates but they told me they are enjoying playing Monday nights despite the results.

So Trev, it is not all doom and gloom !?

Re: Last Night's 7-a-side Match

Excellent report Lol. Nice to read some positive comments. This could be the turning point for Rovers.