THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Midweek Game ?

This is just testing the water at the moment...nothing definite, but how are our players fixed up if we agree to play a match on a Wednesday evening in early-mid March Away to Wormley Rovers under floodlights with a 7.45.p.m. kick-off ?
(This will be either the 1st, 15th or 22nd as it is Arsenal v. Real Madrid on the 8th).

The reason I am asking is because it is convenient for them as they have a big backlog of fixtures, it will avoid us having a two-month break before waiting to play them on a Sunday, and it is also very convenient for me personally filming-wise if we play on a Wednesday night so that I can film more Cup Finals on Sundays in March and April.

It's also worth bearing in mind that if we had got through to one of the League Cup Finals this season, they are ALL played on Wednesday nights with 7.45.p.m. kick-offs, so we wouldn't have had any choice if that had happened !

I think if players say they 'definitely' can't play in a midweek match because:
a) They live in Hitchin or Billericay.
b) They don't get home from work until 7.30.p.m.
c) They work late EVERY Wednesday (or go to College), or
d) 'The missus has the car to go to aerobics on a Wednesday so I'm left holding the baby',
then surely these problems can be overcome just for one match and with a couple of weeks' notice ?

There shouldn't be a problem with players getting a train to Cheshunt straight from work in the City, then a cab or a lift from someone to the venue from there. I will even be prepared to give players a lift home to Hitchin, Billericay, Loughton or wherever afterwards if necessary as I don't have to get up early the following morning !

Can I have some feedback on this please ?

Re: A Midweek Game ?

Larrie

Can yous get mes a lift on your back, back to africa, if the answer is a yes then eyes wood be massively up for one of those big ones.

What's a cup final?

In response to your points
a) if you live in Billericay or Hitchin stop being so incosiderate and move to Wormley
b) this will no longer be a problem because you will be living in Wormley
c) refuse to work or go to college on Wednesdays
d) tell the missus that the gym now has mother and baby aerobics on a Wednesday. Don't use this until the day of the match and when she finds out you will have already scarpered to footie. When confronted later just blame it on 'someone from the gym told me'

I'm OK for 1st or 15th.

22nd is F.A. Cup 6th Round. This does not affect Spurs or Arsenal fans but Wooly might want to watch Chelsea.

Wooly is not keen on playing in midweek anyway, even if Chelsea are not playing.
He is the only one who has complained so far, but he makes a valid point in his e-mail to me this morning where he says 'Would much prefer that the game is played on a Sunday. We are a Sunday morning football team and have numerous Sundays available between now and the end of the season.
I do not find the prospect of having to leave work early to travel to Wormley attractive and the arguement about cup finals is irrelevant'.

He goes on to say 'There are plenty of other clubs that have more games to play than us, so it may make sense for it to be another club that plays them mid-week anyway'.

I should be speaking to the League Fixture Secretary (who also happens to be Wormley Rovers' Secretary) later this afternoon, and hopefully I might be able to get a decision as to roughly when all three of our currently unscheduled/remaining matches might be played.

To be honest though, I don't think it matters now, as in e-mails I have received from Speller, Terry, Wooly and Nick Vertigans this morning (none of whom can access this Forum), all four of them have stated that they are now unavailable on numerous Sundays (and Wednesdays) in March and April because of holidays and family commitments.

Whenever we play those last three games we are going to have key players missing.

I could still do with some more feedback on playing in midweek from those of our players who have access to this Forum though. (e.g. Stuart, Del, Conor, Colin, the Cokells, Dan, Kris, Ritchie, and especially Murf !).
After all, nobody has said that they CAN'T make a midweek game.

All we have been getting on here so far is piss-taking from a faceless individual who I suspect is somebody who has played for the club in the recent past but no longer does (or who is not good enough to get in the team) so it doesn't really matter to them.
Yes, they are funny comments, but can we have some sensible answers as well ?

We don't want a situation where we end up getting relegated because I have fixed up a game against a team we are capable of beating on a date when hardly anybody is available ?

lorrie

eye hopes yeez is not implementing that george the big one, is a facless indieviduel, as this would upset a me a plenty! many times eye has wanted to cum to yours res-q, but thou has never infultrated me, but you must be awhere that i can make wednesdays unless mrs n'bogwou has a little george.

A Midweek Game ?

Could play I reckon if it's 7:45pm KO, but seeing as though I'll probably still be injured, I didn't think that I need reply.

Sorry, been really busy here....I am absolutely fine with a midweek game and always enjoy a game under lights...

Ta,

Murf

yes can play midweek.

ok with me, although like Wooly, would PREFER to play on a Sunday.

I didn't manage to speak to the Fixtures/Wormley Secretary today, but I will be on Sunday evening, so we can have a further chat about this on Sunday morning when Paul Ellerker and Del are there. I have not heard from those two yet.

At the moment though, it certainly doesn't look as if we would be fielding a weaker side if we played in midweek. We may even be stronger !
We have so many players unavailable at various times from (and including) Wednesday 1st March though, that it now doesn't really matter when we play and we might as well just leave it up to the League Fixtures Sec. to decide.

One thing I HAVE insisted on though, is that we play our one remaining Home game against I.M.L. Red Cow at Hazelwood and not at Enfield Playing Fields.
Our permit for Hazelwood runs out on Sunday 2nd April, so as long as IML Red Cow don't get cup games postponed during the rest of February and early March, it should be fitted in on or before the 2nd April.

could play midweek.... but upto 3 injuries now!!

I'll play midweek if needed

I have put this on the Fixtures page, but just in case some of players missed it on there, I have now told the League Fixture Secretary that we do NOT want to play in midweek and to make sure our remaining three games are all on Sundays.

Paul Ellerker is the only one who has told me he definitely can't play in midweek, although I forgot to ask Del. However, a number of players were not happy with playing in midweek when we can fit all our remaining games in on Sundays.

The League Fixture Sec said that our final three games will be very spread out, and it will probably be something like Away to Europa on the 12th March (when Nick Vertigans and Terry Moore are both away on holiday and Conor is still out injured), then Home to IML Red Cow on the 2nd April when Speller is getting married in Las Vegas and Del & Trev are over there as well (no Manager against them again then !), and finally Away to Wormley Rovers on Easter Day (16th April) when we know players are almost certain to go away.
None of this is definite yet, but highly likely....so be warned !