THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Video Notes

Firstly, following my 'argument' with Conor down the pub on Sunday, let me define what I mean by a 'clear-cut chance' !
...It is where we have a clear opportunity to get a shot or header on target, invariably from inside the area and without being challenged by a defender, or where somebody has a shot or header which has beaten the keeper but goes narrowly wide, hits the 'woodwork' or is blocked on the line by a defender. Last-ditch tackles by a defender when we are 'clean through' and delay a shot also count, as do an overhit through ball to somebody who would have been clean through.

Under those 'guidelines then, we had a total of eleven 'clear-cut' chances on Sunday apart from our two goals, with ten of them coming in the First Half !
Broxbourne Rangers Old Boys only had ONE clear-cut chance apart from their four goals, and that was in Injury Time right at the end of the match !
We also had eleven corners compared to their none and we clearly deserved to WIN the match by about four or five clear goals, not LOSE it 4-2 !

Their finishing for all their four goals was absolutely superb and undoubtedly in all their other matches this season they will not do that again. If they do, then they should all be playing professionally !

Looking at the goals on video, obviously Simon & Terry lost the ball in the sun for the first one.
We were unlucky with the second one because 'technically' that quick free-kick was taken with a rolling ball, but the ref was trying to let the game flow which was fair enough. We were then all caught upfield because of that (it was following a corner) and outnumbered at the back, but Paul Ellerker actually GAVE them the ball to take the free-kick quickly instead of leaving it where it was, which would then have allowed our players to get back and defend !
For the third goal, you can clearly hear Speller shouting 'offside' on video, but none of the players that matter are in the picture at that stage. When the camera pans round, all you see is our defenders standing like statues (expecting Trev to flag ?) and their No.10 heading in totally unopposed.
'Jacko' was unlucky with the fourth goal. It looks bad in normal speed, but when you slow it down 'frame by frame', you can see that the ball got a really bad bounce and hit him on the shoulder. We were then really unlucky that it went straight to their No.12 though instead of any of our players !

Clip Of The Week is not surprisingly Conor's goal. Well worth a look.

Also, just to advise Murf I have corrected one or two factual errors in his report. One of them was 'Darryl Jackson'. I can't remember the others but they were only minor and nothing to worry about.

Re: Video Notes

....slip of the digit, Mr Trenchcoat...was working agst the clock as I was going out to see Madness on Sunday evening...

Madness

Did you know that myself and Trevor used to play in an Indoor Cricket League against Suggs and various musicians, some of whom may have been part of Madness as well !!?
We are talking about late-80's here...at some place down Bruce Grove.
Trev will remember it better than me.

no, I didn't...did they play in baggy trousers, perchance?

Just to clarify what happened on the 'offside' goal. My instructions before the match by the referee were 'ball in and out of play, flag for offside if you're up with play but I will make the decision.'
For the 3rd goal I was up with play, perfectly in line, and in my opinion there was clear daylight between Speller and the forward who received the ball when the ball was played. It was close and I can understand why the referee may have thought it was not offside because he was not in line, being serveral yards behind the play. I heard Speller call 'offside' but just as I was about to raise my flag I heard the referee shout 'No it isn't'. I decided not to flag because I thought that our players would see the flag and stop, the referee would overule me, they would go on and score and we would get one or more players booked or sent off for dissent. They scored anyway, but there was no dissent as it was a close offside and, presumably our players thought the referee was right because I didn't flag.

The job of club linesman is difficult enough as it is but the difference in the instructions given by referees makes it even harder. Perhaps, Mr Wildgoose can raise this at a referees meeting.

Trev, they don't have League Referees' Meetings any more because 'nobody' ever used to turn up !