THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squad for this Sunday (20th November)

The squad for this Sunday's Division One match Away to Trent Park (Arkay) at Enfield Playing Fields is as follows:
Darryl Johnson (GK), Stuart Dorward, Andrew Warmerdam, Paul Woolston, Terry Moore, Paul Ellerker, Nick Vertigans, Derek Dorward, Conor Mc,Govern, Steve Cokell, Vernon 'Kizza' Nxumalo, Flory Zinga, Peter Murphy, John Mc,Loughlin, Colin Bester & Juneka Junior.
If any of the above 16 players drop out, then Daniel George will be the first to come in and replace them.

We have left Tony Speller and Robin Pryke out of the squad as they were not at training, and as we have everybody else available, there is no point in them playing this Sunday if they have still not fully recovered from their recent injuries.
We also have the likes of Foysol Ahmed, Gary Cokell, Kris Spyrou, Ritchie Copues and James Walker available if needed, and as we are playing at Enfield Playing Fields, it would be good to see these players come along (with their boots just in case) to give us some support...and volunteer to act as Club Linesman with Mark Howley on holiday in Australia !?

As usual at Enfield Playing Fields we will be changing at the Donkey Lane/Carterhatch Lane end.
We will be playing on Pitch 15, which is the first pitch down on the right after the Rugby pitches.
There is also an interesting match on the next pitch...Dysons Rovers v. F.C. Vasco (i.e. Osborn marking Myron !). I might have to swivel the camera round 180 degrees for Clip Of The Week !

Re: Squad for this Sunday (20th November)

Tis true, see you on sunday chaps !!!

When I say the 'next' pitch, Dysons v. Vasco is on Pitch 17, but there is no game on Pitch 16 (unless another League are using it).

Would love to help out running the line but you will have to get one of your subs to do it , as I am not particularly happy with having members of the opposing team calling me a cheat, let alone having the club cameraman implying the same. For Conor's goal I did not flag because he was not offside. Not really worth keeping up with play if all the offsides can be judged from your vantage point on the half way line, but there you go.

Ritchie, you are right. Offsides CAN'T be judged from where I am positioned on the half-way line. That's why I am asking if you flagged, because I can't see you in the picture.
When I said Conor looked a yard offside, of course he did from my angle, but that doesn't mean you were wrong.
It's the Ref's fault anyway. I don't think we have EVER had a Ref before who has asked club linesmen to flag their own forwards !

Trev does not want any of the youngsters running the line this Sunday because he thinks they don't know the rules, so it looks like Trev running the line and appoximately 20 non-playing Club Members on the touchline being joint Manager (and getting in the way of the camera !).

Gary Cokell needs to start getting some credit off his subs owed though. Is he about this Sunday ?

If the youngsters dont know the rules then what the feck are they doing playing proper grown-ups football in the first place?

FECK ME THAT COMMENT BEGGERS BELIEF !!!

Any hoo, knowing the rules does not stop Trevor being a crap linesman !!!!!??

Scott, when I say 'the rules', it's the 'interfering/not interfering/active/non-active' offside decisions that are the problem.
In fact this affects anyone who gets lumbered to run the line nowadays, and not just any of our youngsters.

What happens in virtually every match on a Sunday now is that because Referees think all Club Linesmen either don't know the rules or deliberately 'cheat', they tell them either to flag for every offside whether a player is interfering or not, or alternatively for them not to flag at all for offsides and to only signal for throw-ins and corners. The Ref then tells the Linesmen that he will decide himself (invariably from 50 yards away !!!) whether a player is interfering or not and that he will then ignore the flag if necessary.
The problem with that is that the Referees NEVER tell the players what he has instructed the Linesmen to do, so when they then see a Lino flagging (or not) and then over-ruled by the Referee, they call him a 'f**king cheating kant' and then it all 'goes off' !
Because of that, it's not surprising that nobody wants to be a Club Linesman. If I was doing it, I would definitely go on the pitch and 'chin' someone.

Our Referee this Sunday is Lee Addison, who in my opinion is one of the best Referees in the League, and indeed has won the League's 'Best Ref' award in the past. However, our players will remember that match last season when we lost 4-3 to Lea Valley Royals in the last minute after he ignored Trev's flag for offside, which was almost certainly because their players had been calling Trev a 'cheat' all match and it influenced his decision. (The reason they were calling Trev a cheat was because Lee Addison hadn't told them he would be over-ruling linesmen on offside decisions).

I doubt whether Lee (or any other League Referee for that matter) will see this, but if they do, may I suggest it might be an idea to get all the players together before each match from now onwards and tell them the same as what you have told the Club Linesmen ?!!!

Your right scott they should know the rules,
i bet they sit there watching andy gray and analysising with him!!
And they are the future!!
As for sunday i am working, but might try and make pub after.