THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squad for this Sunday (6th November)

As we only ended up with having two substitutes for our last match (against London Ajax), we have named a squad of 18 this time to cover for a number of players who may have to drop out at the last minute because of niggling injuries, 'flu' (i.e. heavy colds like the one I have got at the moment !), or simply thinking we would have enough players without them !

Our squad for this match is therefore as follows:
Darryl Johnson (GK), Stuart Dorward, Tony Speller, Andrew Warmerdam, Paul Woolston, Terry Moore, Paul Ellerker, Nick Vertigans, Derek Dorward, Conor Mc,Govern, Steve Cokell, Peter Murphy, Vernon 'Kizza' Nxumalo, Colin Bester, John Mc,Loughlin, Daniel George and new signings Flory Zinga and Juneka Junior, who were both signed up at training on Tuesday night.
(The Player Profiles page has now been updated to include these two if you want to know more).

As this is a Cup match which might go to Extra-Time and Penalties, we MUST make sure we have three substitutes this time, as Derek Dorward and Flory Zinga both have to leave at the end of 90 minutes to go to work in the afternoon....that's assuming they are both in the starting line-up.

The following players are not in the squad at the moment, but are believed to be available should we have more than four players drop out: Gary Cokell, Kris Spyrou, James Walker, Scott Robertson & Ritchie Copues. These five players are advised to phone or text Laurence or Trevor Hughes on Sunday morning between 9.30 & 10.00 a.m. if they are awake and not doing anything else...just in case ! (They would have got a game if they had done so last Sunday).

We only have two players who are definitely unavailable for this match at the moment in Robin Pryke (Working and also suffering from an ankle injury) and Foysol Ahmed (Fasting for Ramadan...his last week of that), so this is by far the strongest squad we have fielded so far this season...and indeed for about four years !

Just to put a 'dampener' on things though ...Please be aware that the weather forecast is for a lot of heavy rain over the next few days, and particularly on Saturday. If it rains heavily on Saturday, and particularly during the evening and overnight, all players are advised to phone or text Laurence Hughes on 07949 128505 after 9.15.a.m. on Sunday morning, as that is when we will find out if the pitch has been called off waterlogged. We all know that Broomfield (the Saturday side who 'own' the pitch) put pressure on the groundsman to do so whenever it rains heavily on a Saturday/Saturday night.

Re: Squad for this Sunday (6th November)

Forgot to say that we are at HOME to Lea Valley Royals....but I'm sure you are all intelligent enough to have looked at the Fixtures page on the website and realised that !?

Re: Turning up on spec'

"These five players are advised to phone or text Laurence or Trevor Hughes on Sunday morning between 9.30 & 10.00 a.m. if they are awake and not doing anything else...just in case ! (They would have got a game if they had done so last Sunday)"

Lol', when did you find out you only had 2 subs last week?

If you name squads of 15, 18 or whatever, you can't expect those not named to wander over with their boots on the off chance or wait until 9.30 on Sunday morning to text you to see if they're needed.

You and Trev' obviously thought 2 subs would be okay or simply couldn't be @rsed to make a call to cover the 3rd sub spot, somehow I think the latter is the case.

Scott (or at least I assume this is Scott !!?), what happened last Sunday was that we knew Gary Cokell had dropped out before the morning of the match, but we still had four subs, so there was no need to call anybody else up at that stage as we can only use three subs anyway.

When myself and Trevor turned up on Sunday morning (at 10.00.a.m.), Colin then told us that James Walker had texted him to say he was going skydiving, then Stuart phoned Trev to say he was running late and said 'Oh, by the way, Warmers isn't playing. He's got flu'.
Undoubtedly, Colin, James, Warmers & Stuart all thought it didn't matter if Trev wasn't informed until 10.00.a.m. or after, as we would still have enough players there anyway...in other words, Colin didn't know Warmers had dropped out and Stuart didn't know James had dropped out.

I agree that only having two subs is silly, but everyone knows that Trev can't be arsed to phone for reinforcements when players drop out on a Sunday morning and I think Mark agrees with him that players not in the squad originally should be phoning us to see if anyone has dropped out or should be coming over to watch and bringing their boots anyway (if they are not doing anything else).

Myself and Tarby have always been prepared to phone up players on a Sunday morning at 10.00.a.m. who were not originally in the squad, but it looks as if Tarby is now going to live in Manchester permanently (please confirm, Tarby), while on the occasions I have tried phoning players on a Sunday morning over the last year or so, NOT ONE PLAYER has ever had his mobile switched on at 10.00.a.m. or responded to text or voicemail messages left on there....and yes, Scott, that has included you on more than one occassion !
The Risden Wood Pre-Season Tournament was the last straw as far as I am concerned and that really pissed me off. I must have tried about 10 players for that match we lost 9-0 and not one of them answered.

If players want us to phone their home numbers at 9.30.a.m. and wake up the rest of their families as well as themselves, then we'll do that if you want !

Lol, firstly I didn't phone up to say 'by the way Warmers isn't playing'! Warmers phoned me on Friday and Saturday to tell me he was feeling rough and I said to him to leave it till the last minute before dropping out as he was on the mend. Warmers then phoned Trev himself on Sunday morning to say he could not play.

Secondly, I will phone people up on Sunday mornings if we have a few drop outs. Providing Trev lets me know what has happened I don't mind phoning round. Argument over.

Argument over regarding Warmers, yes. I couldn't remember exactly what happened.
Essentially, he still dropped out on the morning of the match though, which was not his fault, and indeed whenever players drop out of a squad we have named, roughly 95% of them do so on a Sunday morning for reasons which are unavoidable and unable to be made any earlier.

If Scott is saying that he (and Ritchie, Kris, James & Gary Cokell ?) need(s) to know BEFORE a Sunday morning if he is/they are needed (because mobile phones will be switched off thereafter), then we are going to have a lot more situations this season where we have players asleep or doing chores with the missus when they could have been playing.

I agree Lol but if we do only find out on a Sunday morning as will happen most of the time to us and other clubs, lets at least have a phone around to try and get a squad.

No Offence Lol, but if you are going to name a whopping squad of 18, you can't expect the people you do not think are good enough to be in such a vast squad to be calling you on a Sunday morning just on the off chance that people might not bother turning up. In the case of missing games at short notice because of illnesses or any other situations that may arise it is fair enough, however if people don't turn up because they may be sub then you need to have a word with them, not moan about people who generally turn up as asked and even sometimes when they are not. Do you honestly expect the likes of Scott and myself to traipse over boots in hand every week regardless of selection?

Anyway, grumble over, I should be about Sunday in case any of your seven subs or various sustitute substitutes are unavailable.

Just thought , the reason Trev doesn't ring people may be because he can't see the numbers on his phone as his eyesight seems to be deteriorating as of late.

Also Lol, what is this poxy "enter text" thing , every time you want to post a message, it sucks

Ritchie, I'm not really 'moaning' about players not originally in the squad planning to do other things BEFORE it gets to Sunday morning...I don't blame them.
Where it gets frustrating for Management Committee Members like myself is when we don't KNOW they have done so and we then can't contact them on a Sunday morning and end up fielding a weakened side/squad.

You have said you will be about this Sunday morning, so that's good.
If Scott, Gary Cokell, Kris & James let us know NOW if they can be called up at 10.00.a.m. on Sunday morning (this week and in general), then that's even better and will help us out a lot.

I don't know if James decided to go skydiving on Sunday because he thought/knew he would only be a sub. He wasn't at training this week so I couldn't ask him.
It is in our 'rules' in the 'All About The Club' section on the website that players can do this if they want and they won't get fined for it if they inform Trev in advance.
However, players who would rather do other things than go sub might find themselves sliding down the pecking order for future matches though.

Regarding the 'enter text' thing, I don't know why Bravenet have suddenly started that.
I notice that quite a few clubs, and especially in Non-League football, now use the free Forums that London Ajax use on their website. You can put links and images on those, which you can't on Bravenet.
I can look into changing the Forum if our club members think it's a good idea.

Nothing to say - just wanted to see what Ritchie was going on about on this 'enter text' thing.

Ok, now I've seen it. Isn't it to stop automated 'spam' advertising messages?

BTW - Don't like the style of other forums so I'd prefer to stick with this one - Enter text thingy or not!

We will be sticking with this Forum for at least another 8 months anyway because it's been paid for !

I tried to post a message the other day and wondered why it didn't work !

Ritchie's reference to my eyesight relates to the numerous fouls he was claiming at training for innocuous challenges.

See! Your eyesight is getting bad you didn't even notice the "enter text thingy". I am sure you were reffing the Percival training session at one point.

Lol, I am not suggesting that you change forums as some of the forums you mention are pants, the setup of your current one is far superior, I was just curious if the "enter text thingy" was something that was fully turnoffandonable, if it isn't don't worry yourself about it.

Lol try Fans Focus - Excellent non league forum Free no Spam- Sawbo have a forum there same as both the Enfields and a few Sunday sides.

BTW to stoke the fires- I think the management should call for reinforcements it is not teh duty of players not selected to chase the shirt.

A compromise would be for any players who would be up at that time and able to get to a game not in the squad to go on "standby" so to speak.

Text mmmmmmmmmm

The Sawbridgeworth Town Forum can be found at http://www.fansfocus.com/forum/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/sawbridgeworth_town

I had a look at it the other day as it happens.

There's some match reports on there with some apalling spelling & grammatical mistakes.
I wonder who did those ?
Looks like he had lessons from Osborn !

Seriously though, those fansfocus forums seem a bit complicated to set up compared to what we are using (i.e. having to register and use usernames & passwords, etc).
I think we'll stick to this one.

Match reports are done whilst my boss is not looking at my screen. Thus the "rushed" grammar and spelling

Text mmmmmmmmmm