THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dan's Crunching Challenge

I'm still catching up on editing a backlog of match videos from last season and have just done the Reserves losing 4-0 away to Dysons Rovers, a game which was filmed by a trainee cameraman.

He missed their first goal because he followed the ball on the pitch behind instead, but he got everything else quite well, including the 'crunching challenge' by Dan that everybody was talking about at the time and requested to see on Clip Of The Week.
(It is therefore now on Clip Of The Week...albeit six months late !!!).

Having now watched the match, I can't believe that Russell gave most of our players either a 6.5, 7 or a 7.5 and said we played well enough to win !!
We didn't have a single shot on target and only one worthwhile attempt at goal all match (from Lee Osborn which went narrowly wide) so 'their goalkeeper playing a blinder' is absolute nonsense, while Dysons had no less than 16 clear-cut chances, the majority of which were from their front two and their Player-Manager Scott Griffin being far too quick and skilful for our back four, or from free headers because we were trying to mark man-for-man instead of zonally at corners (which seemed to be Osborn's idea ?!).
Russell is being very modest with his original mark of 6 for himself as he was clearly our man of the match in goal, while his original Man Of The Match Myron Mc,Kay spent most of the Second Half limping and didn't look remotely like scoring. To be fair to Myron (and everybody else), nobody gave up and we put in a lot more effort than in previous Reserve Team debacles last season, but as I have argued before, you can't give players 7½ for effort alone when they have basically been outclassed by better and fitter players. (The majority of my Marks Out Of 10 were therefore 1½ or even 2 down on Russell's original figures !!!).
At least I saw no evidence on video of any mass bollocking sessions after the game though (which was good to see), although it would have helped if the cameraman had set up his tripod on our side of the pitch instead of amongst the Dysons substitutes. Why didn't anybody tell him !!!?

Anyway, that's all in the past now, but we will certainly be having a good laugh at all the horrendous mistakes our players made when we watch the highlights at the next Snooker Night.
Yes, it was a 'typical Reserve Team match' !