THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Friendly On Sunday 23rd October ?

Given the massive turnouts we are getting at training (including last night) and the sheer number of players who are not getting a regular game at the moment, shall I attempt to arrange a Friendly Match on Sunday 23rd October ?
(This is when we don't have a game because we got knocked out of the Roy Bailey Challenge Cup by Rosemill, who are playing Away to St.Mary's in the next round on this date...on our pitch at Hazelwood ! )

However, there is a good chance that we might be able to book Pitch 2 (the other men's pitch) at Hazelwood for a one-off game as nobody appears to be using it on a regular basis at the moment following the demise of our Reserve Team, who were going to use it this season themselves.

From my 'availability checklist' for the 23rd October, we can/should field a team (for a Friendly) as follows:
Jackson (GK); George, Warmerdam, Pryke, Robertson; Spyrou, Mc,Loughlin, G.Cokell, Walker; D.Dorward, Nxumalo. Subs.: Copues, Rebairo, Dell

Robin, Gary Cokell & Del would be included because they can't play every week due to work commitments, while the others are new signings or players who have not had much of a look-in so far.
Unfortunately, Colin Bester, Foysol Ahmed & Nick Vertigans are all unavailable on this date, as they could have played as well.

The other teams from our League who do not have a game on the 23rd October are as follows (take your pick !):
Broxbourne Rangers (Premier Division)
Lea Valley Royals (Premier Division)
Potters Bar Rovers (Premier Division)
Highway United (Division Three)
Northmet (Riverside) Reserves (Division Three)
Real P.B. (Division Three)
Turnford Rangers (Division Three)
East Herts (Top of Division Five)
Turnford Geese (Top of Division Six)

There are a couple of problems with trying to arrange this though.
Firstly, the League will almost certainly not have a spare referee for us to use in a Friendly, which will mean Trev having to do it (That's if he has not already arranged to do something else that weekend ?), and secondly, the League Fixture Secretary, on finding out we can get a pitch, may tell us to use it for a Home League game against London Ajax instead. London Ajax are also listed as 'free' on the 23rd, but we are playing them Away the following week...and 'do I not like that' !
However, he could well swap the fixtures about so that we are playing at Home to Trent Park (Arkay) on the 23rd (on Pitch 2) and London Ajax play Away to Trent Park's original opponents, Northmet (Riverside).

What I need to know asap then (today preferably) is whether any of our players (and Trev !) have already made plans to go away/do something else on the 23rd October and also whether they think arranging a Friendly on that date to give others a game is a good idea.
I can then get things sorted with the relevant 'authorities' tomorrow.

Apart from Nick, Colin & Foysol, the only other player I have listed as unavailable for the 23rd at the moment is Murf.

Re: A Friendly On Sunday 23rd October ?

sorry i have already made plans.

made arrangements already. I'll be most unhappy if there's now a game!

Re: Re: A Friendly On Sunday 23rd October ?

Ditto Stu.

There won't be if we don't ask for one.

As far as playing a League game is concerned, the League can't force us to pay for another pitch to play a Home game on this early in the season...only when there is a backlog of fixtures.
It's our choice if we want to do that now.

The idea of possibly playing a League match on Pitch 2 on the 23rd was just to keep the momentum going when we are starting to play well, but if too many key players have already made other plans, then we won't do it.

If the League Fixture Secretary allows us to play a Friendly instead, then great.
I don't think he will be too pleased if we manage to find a pitch and do so though.

Wooly (who cannot access the Forum) has e-mailed me to say he would like to play a League match (but not a Friendly) on the 23rd because he is missing the game on the 30th.
I have e-mailed him back saying we can't play a League match because Darryl & Stuart are missing.

Terry (who also cannot access the Forum) has e-mailed me to say he fancies a week off on the 23rd because he plays Saturday football and needs a break now and again from playing two days running.

As hardly anybody has left messages on here saying they want to play in a Friendly (or a League game) on the 23rd, I shall now scrap that idea and we will have a week off...again.

Leaving it until this Sunday to make a decision is too late.

I would be available for the Sunday 23rd

i would be able to play if there was a game,but not overly keen to play.