THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No plan B

Listening to ex-scum Tony Woodcock this morning on TalkSport he was saying that @rsehole W@nker's problem with the current filth side is that there is no plan B when they can't break teams down.

Now far be it for me to draw comparisons to our own Finchley poor man's version of the french t0sspot, but watching on Sunday we ran out of ideas and apart from the usual "push Stuey forward" there was nothing doing and after going 2-0 down with the match lost the least we could have done was give 10 mins to the unused substitutes if only to give them some sort of incentive to repeatedly turn up as sub week in week out and you never know some "fresh" legs may have made a difference (!!??).

Especially with 3 or 4 regular first-teamers due to return to the squad for forthcoming games, an oportunity to keep the also rans interested was missed, inevitably these 'clubman' type characters will be lost despite there willingness to stay and support the team.

Re: No plan B

Schoolboy error, subtitute 'their' for 'there'.

I accept that it is always the manager's fault if we lose but hindsight is a wonderful thing. If I'd known we were going to lose anyway I would have given the other substitutes a game. However, even at 2-0 down we were dominating possession, even if not creating many clear cut chances, and the call for substitutes to be brought on never suggests which of the players on the pitch should be brought off. With respect to Colin, Ritchie and Scott, none of them have a reputation as goalscorers and the decision I took at the time was to leave the players on the pitch who I felt were more likely to score.

This is why I said we should have made more of an effort to get more new players back in July/early August so that we could keep the Reserve Team going....and nobody listened to me (as usual).

Scott, I think you might need to blame your brother-in-law (amongst others) for you not getting a game rather than Trev !

We have a policy that the First Team is NOT for giving all substitutes a game in a close match irrespective of ability. That was what the Reserve Team was meant to be for.

I would be gutted if you, Ritchie, Colin & Dan all left before the end of the season for continually being unused subs (or worse !), but I know it wouldn't be my fault (or Trev's) if it happened.

Text 07949 128505

Ginger I told you not to give us your Spurs season ticket over "playing for Rovers" !!

's' is not even close to 'p' on the keyboard, Mr Osborn really is a fookwit.

The demise of the reserves is not the issue, I (and possibly others, Ritchie perhaps you can comment) will be happy to be substitute regularly if occasionally, when there is an opportunity, we are given a run-out.

And I'm not suggesting substitutes should be given a run-out irrespective of ability, quite the contrary, there is obvoiusly other criteria that comes into the managers perspective, and I'm not necessarily singling out Trevor here, it happens at every club:

1. Who will give me less ear-ache if I don't give them a game (ie. subs should be made irrespective of players attitude or commitment to the club).

2. This player is young and will get better (ie. subs should be made irrespective of player's age or unknown potential, look at their ability now!).

In answer to Trevor's point at who to take off (and without naming names) on Sunday there were a number of players playing below par as well as players of certainly similar ability on the pitch to those of the unused subs.

Your response is eagerly awaited!

I haven't finished editing the video yet, so I can't really comment on whether players were tiring and bringing on more subs would have made a difference for sure, but let's say we had taken Murf off (for example) after 70 minutes, put Kizza on the left of midfield and put Scott up front with Steve Cokell as a 'battering-ram' centre-forward.
Would Murf have had the hump if we had done that ?
Maybe not, and it could have been worth a gamble.

It would help if Russell and Mark were available to confer with Trevor on the line regarding substititions, but unfortunately that's not going to happen for the time being. I can't do it while I'm filming, although I often get ideas come into my head while I am doing so. Whether they are good ones or not is another matter, but there's nothing to stop Trev coming up to me and having a chat about it when the ball goes out of play.

Text 07949 128505

Don't pick on me 'cos I'm old...!!

Have now finished editing the video and really, our defeat was all down to poor finishing.
We had 10 definite clear-cut chances and they only had four or five, but whereas 75% of our shots against A Small World were ON target, 75% of our shots against Rosemill were OFF target. Shots that hit the bar are classed as off target, so we were a bit unlucky though.
We were all over them and playing really well just before they scored their second goal in the 81st minute, so Trev was right not to bring any more subs on at that stage.
However, we didn't have a single shot after that, mainly because Rosemill raised their game rather than our heads going down, but yes, maybe Scott, Ritchie or Colin could have been brought on then, but certainly not before.
Would you have been happy with just 5-10 minutes though, Scott ?

A few other things resulting from the video:...
- The only mark I changed was Del from a 7 to a 6.5 (in line with Murf, Kizza & Steve Cokell) for 'bad finishing' and I gave Terry Moore Man Of The Match out of the four players with 7 because of his header off the line and a crucial last-ditch challenge on their No.11.
- Their first goal was a definite misjudgement of the long ball by Darryl, so he was at fault there, but it looked as if Gary Cokell & Robin were trying to play No.10 offside and messed it up ? Either that or they both got badly outpaced !
- Their second goal...It looked as if their No.3 nutmegged Gary Cokell rather embarrassingly before crossing the ball for Robin's own goal, but Dan followed No.10 over to the wing somewhere instead of leaving him and 'doubling up' with Gary on No.3. Not necessarily Dan's fault as we may have been badly outnumbered at the back and I don't think anybody called him what to do. Can't really see everything that was going on off the ball on video for that incident.
- Clip Of The Week is Del & Stuart's headers against the bar incident. This is now online.

Text 07949 128505

For the record I didn't follow the No.10 onto the wing, he was in a goal scoring position and I blocked it off. So that was not the reason that they scored from it. Had I left the No.10 he would have had a free shot at goal.

That's it Lol, blame the defeat squarely on individuals and name them on the forum.

Whatever happened to win as a team, lose as a team?

Conor, you seem to forget that when I first started videoing our matches in the early 90's (when you and many others were still learning the game), virtually everyone used to hire copies and analyse any mistakes they made. Trev also used to work on things in training as a result of watching the videos and it definitely helped us improve as a team and move up the Divisions.

As hardly anybody watches the footage any more (except for Clip Of The Week) and Trev hasn't watched any match videos for about 10 years, how are our players going to know they did something 'wrong' unless I tell them ?
Okay, I accept that putting it on the Forum is not ideal, but I can't see the problem in debating on here what we might have done wrong tactically (like Dan has just done), and if players hold their hand up and admit they were at fault (e.g. Gary Cokell & Robin trying to play offside when they shouldn't have been ?) and they can put it right next time, then great...and the 'video analysis' would have worked.

The simple answer to all this is for everybody to turn up to the Snooker Night and watch it all for themselves (with Trev pointing out where we have gone wrong), but that is never going to happen is it !?

I am, however, making an attempt this season to finish editing each Sunday's match before training the following Tuesday night so that I can have my 'Video Notes' with me and talk to players there rather than on the Forum.
If I had been able to do that this week and attend training, I wouldn't have needed to put it on the Forum.

Text 07949 128505

All the defeats are my fault 'cos I am a kant!

Foe the 2nd goal i stumbled ! Even so i think the midget miss hit his shot, then took an unlucky flick off someones head. The first goal i think was caught between going to the ball and staying back. But was he off side?

Scott is dead right with his 3 point substitute rant earlier in the thread.

And no Gary, the fella was not offside, if he had have been I would have signalled the comb-over to let him know.