THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Manager's Report

Trevor was working late and missed the First Half of the Reserves' 3-0 defeat against AFC Bush Hill Park in the 7-a-side League last night, so he won't be doing a report of the match in his 'column' on the Latest Club News page.

I therefore had to take over as Manager as Russell was on his way back from Bournemouth...and it was NOT an easy job !
We had no keeper available so I had to persuade Tony Speller to go in goal, while it was also difficult trying to do substitutions when nobody was playing particularly well but then not getting particularly 'knackered' either.
That meant I got 'moaned at' whenever I took Colin, Tem or Dan off because they had presumably brought their girlfriends along to watch them play a full game and they didn't seem to understand that 'roll-on, roll-off' substitutions are an essential part of 7-a-side and NOT an indication that somebody is 'playing shit'.
Colin got really annoyed and stormed off into the car park when I left him on the touchline and brought myself on for a run-out in the Second Half for Tem once we went 3-0 down. (What is it with all these Reserve Team players walking off the pitch ? The habit is obviously catching on ! )
Sorry Colin. In hindsight you were right ! I didn't do anything to change the game when I came on and it was needless really.

We were 1-0 down inside a minute and 2-0 down at Half-Time before conceding a third goal 10 minutes into the Second Half.
It wasn't our worst performance in the Monday Night League, but AFC Bush Hill Park only had the bare seven players and we fielded a squad of nine and a half who should have been capable of beating them.
In my opinion, the reasons we didn't (and things we need to address) are as follows:

1) No goalkeeper, although Speller did actually make some good saves.

2) Ritchie & Osborn didn't play well together at the back (again) for some reason and they made too many individual errors, although not as many as normal !!! . Ossie seems to be better in midfield at 7-a-side, and we would have been better with Speller at the back.
At one stage I heard Steve Cokell moan at Ossie for wearing flat-soled trainers instead of proper astroturf boots which meant he had to do a three-point turn every time he was facing his own goal and attempting to turn the other way. (There is too much sand on the pitch to keep your feet properly wearing flat-soled trainers). Maybe that's the problem ?
I also think Ritchie is still being troubled by his ankle injury and is consequently too tentative in his challenges at the moment, particularly in stretching a leg out to try and block shots. I had that injury myself when I was in my early-20's and I can remember blocking a shot which caught the end of my toe and twisted my ankle backwards. I was then out for nearly a year with even worse ligament damage than I already had. I believe this is the same sort of injury that Robin has been plagued with over the last 3 years as well.

3) Colin, Tem & Dan are not playing 2/3-touch pass and MOVE like we do in training because they are playing too much 'kids football 5-a-side at Powerleague' in which everyone just gets their head down and dribbles with the ball.
They were giving the ball away too much last night because of that, but at least they were much better defensively in getting goalside when we lost the ball and in covering for others.

4) AFC Bush Hill Park's players were all awkward gangly 6-foot-plus tall and very strong and fit...exactly the sort of opposition we come unstuck against on a Monday night because most of our players are too small and get out-muscled too easily (unless they pass and move and don't try and take these players on in one-on-one situations). Colin and Foysol suffer the most from that. Tem and especially Dan have a bit more strength in that department but are always going to get beaten in the air.

5) Steve & Myron did not get enough clear-cut chances because our build-up play was too slow. If we did more quick one-two's / pass and move like the First Team do on a Thursday night it would definitely help, although Myron is clearly lacking in a bit of practice, fitness and confidence at the moment anyway.
Steve is understandably getting frustrated because he is used to playing with First Team players.

For next Monday's match we will have a proper keeper (so Speller will be an outfield player), we have Scott and possibly Gary Cokell available again and some people are saying that Kizza should play...and I tend to agree because I think he might solve our goalscoring problem.
The problem is...whoever we drop to accomodate these players is going to get the right hump, especially as I don't think we were that bad last night and most of the points I mentioned above can easily be 'ironed out'.
I hope Trevor doesn't tell me he is working again and leaves the decision down to me !!?

Anyone for Manager ?
Bring back Howley ?!
...and where is Tarby next Monday !?

Text 07949 128505

Re: Manager's Report

I should be there next Monday as I should be back from Manchester.I also think that we should definatly train on the 3rd of July I don't no about what we should do the following weeks because I will be away most of July and August and may come down for one of the pre-season games so it should be up to the players.

Having read that War and Peace effort Lol I have to admit that the problem is clear. It's Osborn.

already know i'm unavailable due to work

At least you read it all Junior...unlike others !

Does it relieve the 'boredom at work' or increase it though ?

Text 07949 128505

I'm sorry but a lot more of the others were giving the ball away a lot more than colin, tem and me. Maybe if some of the more experienced players learned to pass the ball then maybe we would play better football.

Dan, from what I have seen on Monday nights, some of the more experienced players need to get the ball under control in the first place before they attempt to pass it.
At least you, Colin & Tem are capable of doing that. You three just need to choose the right option once you have done so, but that will come with experience.

Some of the shooting was also abysmal though (from everyone)...and I include myself in that !

Another thing I noticed last night was the calling. It was a lot better in respect of calling players back to mark and cover, but when a player is in possession of the ball our Monday night players just shout out that player's name at the top of their voice or don't call for the ball at all. That's why we give away possession too much.
On Thursday nights our First Team players are shouting out far more intelligent and helpful instructions like 'look to your left/right', 'plenty of time', 'keep it', 'go line', 'little ball inside', etc.
It makes such a difference.

Text 07949 128505

When you use the experienced word, you are saying osbourne and scotty ! Who don't have a first touch!. So i don't feel you are being fair to the word "experienced".

Cheeky fecking c@nt!!

How dare you, How dare you, you spineless anonamous T0SSER!

My first touch is far less crap than Ossie's!!!!

I'll be back Monday to put things right!!