THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squad for next 7-a-side match (Thursday 9th June)

The squad for our next match this coming Thursday night against The Quays (7.00.p.m. kick-off) is as follows:
Matt Morter (GK) (To be confirmed), Paul Woolston, Andrew Warmerdam, Conor Mc,Govern, Chris 'Nugget' Beeden, John Beasley, Nick Vertigans, Richard Bates, Greg Buck & Eric Ibekwem.

Stuart Dorward (attending a Wedding in Scotland ?) and Terry Moore are both unavailable for this match.
We were hoping to use ex-Everest goalkeeper Danny Cole for this game, but he has now decided to join another club. Simon Jackson is also unavailable and Russell Beeden is currently down in Bournemouth visiting his parents, so we will try and get our regular Monday Night 'keeper Matt Morter to play. If not, then we could have a big problem.

Text 07949 128505

Re: Squad for next 7-a-side match (Thursday 9th June)

As big as the Cuban Missile crisis?

'World stands on precipice of doom as Rovers desperately seek keeper for Thursday night Southgate seven a side league.'

As it happens, I have now heard there is a chance that the game might get called off, but we probably won't find out until during the day on Thursday itself.

This is because our opponents, The Quays, were apparently on a final warning from the League organiser for various punch-ups/sending-offs BEFORE they had ANOTHER mass ruck with Mc,Kenzie Rangers 'B' last Thursday. The 'final warning' was that they would be kicked out of the League if it happened again.

However, the League organiser is currently on holiday (which is why recent results have not appeared on the Southgate Hockey Centre website) and does not get back until tomorrow, so he doesn't know about The Quays latest punch-up yet.
All players are therefore advised to keep checking this Forum during the day on Thursday to find out what is happening....or phone/text me on 07949 128505.

If we hear that we have NOT got a game on Thursday night, we could actually use the pitch for a training session (First Team AND Reserves), although it will be a 7.00.p.m. start (until 8.00.p.m.). This would give Chris Morrish (and others) a chance to bring any mates along who want to join us and we can see what they are like.
We actually used the pitch for a practice match amongst ourselves last night when our opponents failed to turn up, and although we still have to pay £26.00 (and charge players subs accordingly), it is excellent facilities and well worthwhile if we can get a minimum of 14 over there.

If players can let me know whether they would still turn up for a training session, I can then let the League organiser know if he phones me to say the League match is off.

Text 07949 128505

'Hughes finds the quay to goalkeeping crisis in overly long message shock'

No shock with the 'overly long message' Junior.

On a serious note, if the game is off I'd be prepared to come over for a practice match but not a Hughes training session. Mainly because we'd look stupid doing a selection of 'Southbury' drills.

Also, on the previso that whoever plays wears astroboots, not moulds & doesn't try to kick the sh*t out of our own players.

Of course, all of the above is only applicable if I can get out of work & I won't know that until the day.

I can make the game this Thursday but not for the following two games. Do you still want me to come??

Sorry Junior, but this is going to be a long'ish message !!

Sam from the Southgate Hockey Centre has just phoned to say he has cancelled ALL of tomorrow night's matches as he needs to look into what's been happening while he has been away. It looks as if he is going to have to throw some teams out and re-do the fixtures.

However, I have arranged with him that we can use one of the pitches over there tomorrow night for a practice match between ourselves, starting at 8.00.p.m....that's 8.00.p.m. and NOT 7.00.p.m.
We will pay £26.00 for the use of the pitch and charge everyone attending some sort of amount up to a maximum of £5.00 each. (I will leave it up to Trev to decide that).
Don't forget we can use the bar afterwards as well.

We would therefore like all Thursday night players AND Monday night players (including Chris Morrish and his mates) to come down ready for an 8.00. start if they are available to do so. Meet on the balcony at 7.30.p.m.
If we have more than 20 turn up (which is unlikely), we might be able to use the other pitch as well...or at least the grass outside the pitches.
We particularly need two goalkeepers to turn up though, so if anyone (e.g. Colin ?) knows anyone, please bring them along.
We will bring some kit, but I would prefer it if everyone brings their own kit as if it was a normal midweek training session during the season. We will then use the training bibs.
Also, please remember....Astroturf Boots or Trainers ONLY please !

CAN ALL PLAYERS WHO READ THIS MESSAGE PLEASE LET US KNOW IF THEY WILL BE ATTENDING OR NOT ?

I will e-mail or text those who do not reply.

Text 07949 128505

I'll have to say no to the game as my team are training this thursday

I won't be there tomorrow.

I'll be there

Just to let everyone know that this was actually Tarby's idea to have a training session/practice match at the first opportunity...so that all those who have not been getting a game recently can have a run-out and we can see what new players are like.

He was convinced that 'everybody' would turn up and it would be worthwhile.
I knew it would be a bad idea and that we would only get 5 or 6 turn up because some of our 'married' players are seemingly 'not allowed' to play twice in the space of five days (in the case of those who played on Monday night), while the Thursday night team seem to think the 'Reserves' are all going to turn up wearing studs and blades, clatter them from behind and/or not give them a decent pass all night, so they are not keen either !

Nugget is the latest to phone up and say 'probably not', while we have not had much of a response on here, have we ?
I don't think Trev will be there just for a practice match as he has got a lot of work on at the moment, while Russell is still in Bournemouth (as far as I am aware).

However, I am not going to call it off just yet, and I will therefore e-mail, phone & text 'everybody' tomorrow.

Text 07949 128505

Sorry, too much work to watch a practice match.

Lol you are such a dick !!! My idea was to have a training session on a Sunday morning/afternoon in the next coming weeks not this Thursday !!! I think if I can start organising it now that im back on the internet that we will get a reasonable turnout especially those players who have not played 7 a side yet ie Chris Moorish and mates !!! I do think at the moment this is the only way we a going to get a look at potential new players. If you don't think this is a good idea then I will organise it and pick up the balls and gear then you won't have to bother to turn up and maybe we will get a good turn out.If anybody thinks we should do this please leave a post.Im not in Bournemouth Lol but im out tomorrow night anyway

I think the key to this is for Chris Morrish to come on here and state which he thinks is the better idea...A practice match on Astroturf tomorrow night with changing rooms, showers and a bar on-site, or going over Enfield Playing Fields on a Sunday afternoon in 90-degree heat when the rest of our players will probably be at a barbecue or playing cricket.

Tarby, if enough people are interested in using the facilities tomorrow night (and the key is Chris Morrish and his mates), I will be there to organise things even though you & Trevor won't be there, so there's no need to panic. After all, I ended up organising things on my own virtually every Tuesday night at the Southbury Leisure Centre last season anyway.
If you want to organise a Sunday afternoon training session as well, then go for it.

Text 07949 128505