THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squad for next 7-a-side match (Monday 6th June)

The squad for this coming Monday night's match against J.G.L. (7.30.p.m. kick-off) is as follows: Matt Morter (GK), Lee Osborn, Scott Robertson, Steve Cokell, Kevin Dedman, Colin Bester, Tem Adil, Daniel George, Myron Mc,Kay & Tony Speller.

If anybody drops out from the above squad, then Andrew Thomas (Myron's mate) will be the first-choice replacement.

We are aware that certain players are going to be very frustrated that they are not going to get a game (again), but a Management 'Sub-Committee' of Trevor Hughes, Russell Beeden, Laurence Hughes & Stuart Dorward all agree that our policy for 7-a-side matches will be that even if we lose and/or players are all 'bollocking' each other, we will still pick the same squad for the following week's match if those players are available. The next player to come in will then be the best player available...in this case it is Tony Speller as we only had a squad of 9 last week due to Mashood Burahee failing to turn up. There is an argument that we need to see what new players are like, but we feel it would be unfair to drop our regular players in order to do so. New players and those players who cannot get a game at the moment (e.g. Ritchie Copues, Chris Morrish, Peter White & Barry Matthews) will just have to wait until somebody is unavailable due to holidays, work or injuries, then they will come into the squad and keep their place.

If any of the above squad do not want to play this coming Monday because of what happened last week, please let me know as soon as possible.
One or two players said just that on the final whistle last week, but presumably they have calmed down by now ?!!

Text 07949 128505

Re: Squad for next 7-a-side match (Monday 6th June)

No disrespected intended but why not play some of the potential new players/ones who cant get a game on Thursdays instead of John Beasley and Nugget who as far as I know are not playing for Rovers next year ??

I'm available for Monday by the way

Our policy for Thursday nights at the moment is to use players of KNOWN Premier Division quality ONLY (unless we have a squad of less than seven of course).

This is because there is more chance of Junior, Nugget, Terry Moore, Greg Buck and the various ex-Everest players signing up to play 11-a-side if we do that.
At the moment we are not putting any pressure on any of them to sign up, especially as most of them played for other Sunday clubs last season and are keeping their options open.
However, last night we fielded a squad of nine quality players and won 12-1 against a half-decent side. The football we played was quite brilliant and everyone really enjoyed themselves.
When the Thursday night team lost 3-0 the other week, we used three 'Reserve Team' players who, although they are not bad players, are not of Premier Division quality compared to those in the side we fielded last night .

We only have to look at some of our results in the Premier Division last season when we had to field 'half our Reserve Team' to realise that we MUST try and sign up as many of the players mentioned above as possible if we are to have any chance of winning Division One and getting back up to the Premier.
If we put Chris Morrish's mates (for example) in the Thursday night team without having a clue what they are like and they turn out to be 'crap' and cost us the game, then it will lessen the chances of known quality players joining us.

The way I am looking at this is that if all the ex-Everest players and the others we are using on Thursday nights (including Junior & Nugget) sign up to play 11-a-side, then the likes of Gary Cokell, Speller, Dedman & Colin will be able to play regularly for the Reserves and they will then have a very good chance of winning Division Five. The whole club will then benefit from that.

Text 07949 128505

It was only a suggestion Lawrence keep your hair on..........what you have left anyway !!

Looks like you agree then.

By the way, Lee....Stuart now wants to use the Reserve Team's Jade & Black kit for 7-a-side from now on because he says the old Umbro shirts have turned into 'nipple-busters' !?!
Can you therefore bring the whole kit on Monday ?
We will use it on Monday night and I will then sort it all out and bring it along each Monday & Thursday night thereafter.
Despite what we said at the last Management Committee Meeting (when Stuart was not in attendance) that the current Reserve Team kit will last another year and that we should carry on using the Umbro kit for 7-a-side, Stuart now thinks he can sort another another kit sponsorship from On Broadway for the coming season.

(If Scott can keep all the rest of the Reserve Team equipment for the time being though, as I have not got room in my shed).

Also, a warning to all players. We have run out of black electrical tape !!!
I think Mark was wrapping too much of it round the goalposts last season, and we are also still getting players leaving full reels of the stuff behind in changing rooms.
Darryl was our previous supplier but it looks as if we are not going to see him anymore, so can anyone else get any 'freebies' a.s.a.p. ?

Text 07949 128505

Yes

Dedman has dropped out of tonight's squad because he has got 'other plans' and Steve Cokell has phoned to say he has just done his back in at work this morning !
I have texted both Speller and Myron and had no reply, so at the moment I have no idea if they are available or not.

I have now spoken to Ritchie and he will be one of the replacements for Dedman & Steve Cokell. Hopefully Andrew Thomas (Myron's mate) will be the other one.

I suggest Chris Morrish phones me after 5.00.p.m. to find out what the situation is, as he will be next in line to be given a game if Speller, Myron and/or Andrew have not got in touch by then.

I have made these decisions myself because as far as I know, neither Trevor or Russell will be there tonight, so I will be Manager !

Text 07949 128505

Just seen Gary Cokell's message re Matt not playing.

Is the Northern Monkey about ?

Text 07949 128505

I will be around if needed?

You are definitely needed !

Bring some ear-muffs to wear though, 'cos Osborn's playing !

Text 07949 128505

Sorry didn't realise, change of heart, cannot make it.

If Simon is NOT joking, then we will not have a keeper.

Regarding outfield players, Myron has now confirmed his availability, but not sure about Andrew yet.

Speller has just texted me. He is on holiday in Florida !
If Chris Morrish wants a game, he can therefore replace Speller.

Text 07949 128505

Of course I'll be there...........

Would have loved a game lads but I couldn't wait until 2 hours before kick-off to know if I can do other things or not unfortunately so I've made plans now. Will be up for a game next week if it's available for definite.

I have now phoned Foysol and got him to play, so that makes 10 if Andrew (Myron's mate) turns up.

If he doesn't, then we will just use a squad of 9 unless there is anybody else there watching (with proper astroturf boots, shinpads and money !) who fancies a run-out. (Can't guarantee them more than a few minutes though...depends who they are and what the score is !! )

Text 07949 128505