THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Monday Seven a side...

Have just logged on to this DOOOOMED website of yours Lol and am quite shocked that what looks like a decent squad only managed a 1-1 draw due to being awarded a goal for lateness by the other team, shocking.

Re: Monday Seven a side...

Ritchie, the game was a total nightmare.

Mash didn't turn up (no surprise there !?), so we were going to give Myron's mate (Andrew Thomas) a game to make up the 10. (He wants to join us and had come along to play if anyone dropped out at the last minute).
Trent Park Rovers only had 4 players there at 7.30.p.m. because 3 others were held up on the North Circular. Wildgoose said the minimum number to start the match was 5 and the rules were that we would be awarded a 5-0 win if they still only had 4 players by the time it got to 7.45.p.m.
We therefore let them have Andrew rather than not play at all....because we assumed Trent Park Rovers would be 'shit' like they normally are and we would beat them easily, especially as Shadwell (Stocky & Ellis-Browne's team) had beaten them 8-0 the week before.

Of course immediately the game kicked off (5 minutes late, hence the one-goal start for us), Trent Park Rovers' other three players turned up (after Andrew had already started), although Wildgoose wouldn't let one of them play because he was wearing studs.
Andrew therefore played a full game for them and was better than any of OUR players !!!

Trent Park Rovers also had two or three other good players who had not played against us in the past, so that made it a very close game.
However, we were absolutely abysmal...except for Matt in goal !
Osborn, Scott, Dedman & Steve Cokell were all bollocking each other non-stop for the whole 40 ? minutes whenever any of them made a mistake...in fact Steve did a Northern Monkey impersonation at one stage and stormed off the pitch after one argument near the end.
Myron didn't really get involved in all that but couldn't get into the game because of a lack of fitness/practice and a lack of service, while Colin, Tem & Dan all ran about and gave 100% but made their usual tactical mistakes (e.g. getting goalside) because of their lack of experience.
Despite playing badly though, we still had enough clear-cut chances to score at least 5 or 6, but virtually everybody was guilty of at least one really bad miss when it was easier to score...and of course the bollocking intensified whenever that happened.

When I went in the changing rooms afterwards to get the kit, I was quite surprised to see everyone laughing and joking, so I don't think there is anything to worry about with our team spirit OFF the pitch, but WHY do Ossie, Scott, Dedman & Steve 'bollock' so much ON the pitch ? They all do it every week and it's getting worse. EVERY time someone makes a mistake they are screaming their heads off at them and it's all 'panic, panic, panic'.
There is no doubt in my mind that it stems from losing every week at 11-a-side. The confidence is low and everyone is frustrated because they know we are better than this, but what good does it do for Colin, Tem & Dan ?
If we are not careful they will all leave once they realise their older team-mates are too impatient with them and the club will then have no future.

At the moment, we need three teams.
The First Team...'Quality' Premier Division players who all know what they are doing.
Reserve Team....'Has-beens' who think they know what they are doing !
Youth Team.......Colin, Tem, Dan & others who don't know what they are doing.

Mixing the above is just not working and I don't know what the answer is.

Text 07949 128505

To be honest i think that's a bit harsh saying that the young players don't know what they are doing when you consider how much 7 a-side football me colin and Dan have played compared to some of the rovers players. I honestly think that you have to start seeing us as potential good players instead of stating that we lack experiance all the time which aint going to get us nowhere.

Lol, I don’t like your comment above saying we know anything! You say that with players arguing and moaning will make us leave in a way you have a point. But with comments like the ones above really do not help things! Players (of rovers new and old) and friends look at this website therefore we find it embarrassing! I do agree with the fact we’re in experienced but that’s getting better I believe. Considering The only youth you have all play 7 a side football week in week out for the last two years does this mean we’re still inexperienced?

Colin & Tem....I actually agree with you both.

The 'don't know what they are doing' assessment was made by the others on Monday night, not by me.

Steve Cokell was telling me that whenever the opposition get the ball, you three do not look around and get goalside of the nearest opponent. He reckons that you were all told to do this (at both 7-a-side and 11-a-side) when you first started playing for the club but you are still not doing it, whereas when he was your age he did it straight away and for every match thereafter. However, Steve played for Enfield Rangers and had trials for West Brom at your age (I seem to remember ?) so I think he is being a bit harsh expecting you to live up to those standards when none of you have been coached like he was.
In fairness to Steve, although he is frustrated, I don't think he has been 'effing and blinding' at you in matches...unlike some of the others.

I also think it's Trev's job to see if you are doing things wrong tactically.
It's not easy for me to see on video what you are doing off the ball in 11-a-side matches or at 7-a-side because I am in the bushes getting balls back half the time.

However, I think the frequent miskicks and lack of fitness by the older players on a Monday is far more of a problem at the moment than you two and Dan not getting goalside. At least you three are fit enough to run around and challenge for the ball. I know Trevor agrees with me on this.

Text 07949 128505

Yet again Lawrence you continue to wind players up even the youngsters !!!

For your information: I admit I had a ding dong with the "ginger Pele" and I moaned once at Colin for telegraphing his pass to an opponent and then that was it, I certainly never had a go all match !!

Steve Cokell seems to have taken over my mantle but think that is general frustration at not playing with the likes Stu and Conor.

Kev Deadman was calling everyone c*nts all game apart from himself !!

Anyway roll on Monday for next installment !?!?

For the record:
1) Barney had with Oz, no problem kissed and made up.
2) Anything I said to anyone during the game, to both old and young, was meant to be constructive and I believe it was!
3) If anyone who played or watched believes different please reply.

Lee says: ''Yet again Lawrence you continue to wind players up even the youngsters !!!''

So what are you doing with your last message then ?
Anyway, as far as I am concerned this is what the Forum should be for...to have a 'healthy' debate and get things off our chest !!?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that yourself, Scott, Steve Cokell & Dedman all want to win and are trying to be constructive with their comments on the pitch, especially in trying to show some urgency and giving team-mates a 'kick up the backside' so that they show 'more effort', but the way that it was done on Monday (in particular) was not right.
Over the last 10 years we have very rarely had players ranting and raving at each other on the pitch and storming off in protest and that's why we gradually went up the Divisions and ended up finishing joint-second in the Premier Division (because players all encouraged each other and it bred confidence).
What's happening now is a throwback to the bad old days of the Nurse brothers and Dave Ashton (late-70's/early-80's when I myself had to suffer non-stop bollocking for bottling out of headers and challenges and ended up trying to fight with my own team-mates) and the 1990-91 season (when a 16-year-old Tony Speller walked out on the club after Gary Warner...and others...had criticised him for doing exactly what Colin, Tem & Dan are doing now).
That's why I am so concerned with what I have seen from the Reserve Team over the last few months. Surely it can't be enjoyable playing in matches like that, even if there are no problems amongst the players on the final whistle (as Scott rightly says).
For the next Monday Night match (in two weeks time by the way, Lee !), whoever is Manager should get the players together before the kick-off and give them a team-talk as follows:
1) Apologise if you make a mistake. Don't just say nothing or try and blame others.
2) If one of the youngsters makes a mistake, DON'T shout at them while the ball is still in play. Wait until there is a break in play and then have a QUIET word with them (one-to-one), or wait until Half-Time/Full-Time to tell them what they did wrong.
3) Shout out 'well-played' if one of your team-mates does something good.

The above is what the likes of Wooly & Stuart do in First Team matches and that's how it should be done.

Lee, you are right about Steve Cokell being frustrated that he is not playing 7-a-side with the First Team, but that's his choice that he can only play on Monday nights so he will have to put up with it or shut up won't he !?

Text 07949 128505

Just a quickie on lol's 3 points
1- Yes , but you must bullock the ginger pele!
2- To be fair the from what i noticed in first two games and what i heard from a couple of point of views, is the goals have come from "senior" players mistakes. But i do agree stupid flicks have to stop and the lesson that scotty has used his whole life of "keeping it simple!"
3- And being positive even when your 3-0 down!
O and 4- just watch that dropped shoulder! ....a ritchie!

Lol,i actually agree with many of the points you made and some that ozzy made.
Yes i do moan on mondays but very rarely at the youngsters as i'm sure they will verify and i do say 'well played or unlucky' to them nearly all the time. I only get frustrated as you said when i do have to repeat myself 5 times in every game to do such basic things as get goal-side of a player but DO NOT go ballistic at them if they don't do it,I do go ballistic at the likes of Ozzy and Ginger to~~er as they've been playing long enough to know better and telling them 'not to do it again', isn't good enough for the likes of scott and me and gary have been playing with him a long time and know that.We also would expect the same thing back from any player as we should know better.
Just because i did play a half decent standard as a youngster i don't 'expect' as you said by the way not me,the youngsters to learn everything in one game but i don't think its unreasonable to see less of the basic mistakes made.
I would also like to say that it does irritate me to hear the likes of Trev and yourself Lol say things like 'oh these games are only played to see new trialists and bring the youngsters games on',yes these games are partly there for that but i don't give up a fiver and a monday night to for those reasons,i play to win and for the enjoyment not to justy have a kick about and i'm sure all the others who play on mondays feel the same.
As for the 'storming off the pitch' incident it was a little over the top from myself but i did need to calm down and it was the best thing for me to do in order to calm down.
Thats all i have to say,bring on next monday.

So far the standard of our opposition has been poor on Monday but we are still unbeaten. If our finishing had been better we would have had 3 comfortable wins. I'm not blaming you Steve, but no goals in three games ! Try and place it instead of blasting it at the goalkeeper. I am looking forward to at least a hat trick next Monday.

Thanks for the tip Trev thank god your our manager!

I will be Manager this coming Monday, Steve.

Trev isn't there as it's his step-son's birthday and I don't think Tarby is about either.

Text 07949 128505