THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can't Update Website

Yesterday, some new Norton Internet Security updates and/or Windows updates were downloaded over the internet to my computer. This is done automatically once or twice a week through my broadband connection and is supposed to stop viruses & hackers, etc.

I now cannot upload any updates of the website to the server because of 'MS Jet Remote Code Execution attacking HTTP Port 80'...whatever that is supposed to mean !

I have a feeling that this could take days, if not weeks to sort out, and with quite a few of our players not being able to access this Forum at work, we could well have a long-term problem here.

Just to let everyone know then, that we drew 2-2 at 7-a-side last night with Tony Speller and Scott Robertson our goalscorers.

Re: Can't Update Website

It's mid-day on Friday and there's still no sign of the website allowing any updates.

I have contacted the web hosting company and they have told me that it's because I use Microsoft Front Page (2003) to create all my websites with.
This needs something called Front Page Extensions on their server in order to upload files (i.e. update my websites online), but hardly any other companies use Front Page to design their websites with, so basically the web hosting company can't be arsed to upgrade or re-set Front Page Extensions just for my benefit when things go wrong.
This goes for most other web hosting companies as well.
It seems everyone else uses Flash Macromedia or other 'hi-tech' web design software which uses the FTP (File Transfer Protocol) process, and that is the uploading (pdating) system that all web hosting companies primarily cater for.
(Front Page cannot use FTP).

This means that I am now going to have to buy different software (which costs about £400.00 !!), learn how to use it, then totally re-create the Rovers website (and the League one !) from scratch.
This will of course take months, so it looks highly likely at the moment that we will have to do without a website until further notice.

Text 07949 128505

I don't know whether anyone will see this message before the A.G.M. tomorrow night, but I have now managed to get the website partly updated, although the whole site could go completely offline at any time from now onwards and updating the site is still very much 'hit & miss'. Sometimes it works, but invariably it doesn't.

I have actually got this season's Top 10 Goals online NOW, so that anyone can have a 'sneak preview' of them all before they vote for their Top Three when they watch them at the A.G.M. tomorrow night !
In fact, if any club members are not coming to the A.G.M., they can actually e-mail me their 1-2-3 (before a deadline of 5.00.p.m. Saturday evening) and we will add £2.00 onto their subs owed and enter them into the draw on the night.

The Player Profiles pages are also now completely up-to-date and online.

For the Goal Of The Season page, enter http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk/The%20Videos/goal_of_the_season.htm in your browser address bar.

For the Player Profiles pages, enter http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk/The%20Present/player_profiles.htm

Text 07949 128505

Further to what I have just put on the Latest Club News page, I managed to do a couple of succesful updates late last night without anything going wrong, so the Latest Club News page, the Forthcoming Fixtures page and the 7-a-side pages are now all completely up to date....which is good news as we have a 7-a-side match tonight.

The main things 'wrong' at the moment are the missing links to The Present, The Past & The Videos (at the top of most pages, including the Home page...although you can get to these by clicking on the cartoon !) and the video clips for Goal Of The Season are not there when you click to download them.
I will try to 'repair' these at some stage today and get them all back online. When I do so, I will put a message here.

I am now going to continue to update the website during the next week or so (particularly 'The Past' section) until things start going drastically wrong again

Text 07949 128505

Hi Lol,

Dont know who you use as your server but just thought id let you know that I use Frontpage to build my site and I use Yahoo small business.

I pay £20 a month and have never had any problems with Videos etc....

Give us a bell if there is anything you need to know

Cheers

Nick

Hi there Nick.
I presume you noticed that two of our Goal Of The Season contenders were against your team !?

Unfortunately, it looks as if I am not going to be able to get them online though....or any of the other video clips from now on !

This is because the web hosting company that we use have now re-set Front Page Extensions, which means all other pages are now updating correctly, but video clips will not go through because they are all over 1mb each, which is the apparent limit for single files.
I have just found this out on http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?lang=en&cr=US&dg=microsoft.public.frontpage.client , which is the link to an official Microsoft Front Page Help Forum. A lot of the stuff on there is very technical though and I haven't got time to read through and try and understand it.

Apparently the video clips have previously uploaded alright because Front Page Extensions had become corrupt on the server and were allowing them to pass through...which buggered up other pages and produced numerous error messages while uploading.
When I try to upload a video clip now, I get an error message come up which says 'Servor Error: Cannot Open File gsa.wmv.tmp. for writing'.
For some reason the server is reading the video clip as a 'temp' file instead of just 'gsa.wmv'.

Nick, let me know if you are managing to upload video clips of over 1mb to your website using Front Page (with Front Page Extensions installed).
£20.00 per month is a lot more than I currently pay though.

Text 07949 128505

Lol,

Yes i noticed but i take homage from the fact that only good goals are scored against us.....and we won

As for the video clips, YSB allows files of up to 5mb.

If you want i can upload your goals onto my server and you can link to them from your site.

Nick

Thanks for the offer Nick.

I will investigate this further after I have had another chat with our web hosting company...probably after the Bank Hol weekend.

Text 07949 128505

This is really pissing me off !!!

I am now getting this 'Servor Error: Cannot Open File xxxxxxx.tmp. for writing' error message for EVERY page I try to update now, so it looks likely that I will not be able to update ANYTHING on the website at all for the forseeable future.

According to various Front Page Help Forums I have been reading, this error message means that I have exceeded my allowable space on the server, but that is complete nonsense. If not, then the Front Page Extensions on the server have become corrupt again and need to be re-set again...only for the same thing to happen again no doubt !?

Text 07949 128505