THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Back pass law for Simon and Stuart

Law 12
An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following five offences:
• takes more than six seconds while controlling the ball with his hands before releasing it from his possession
• touches the ball again with his hands after it has been released from his possession and has not touched any other player
• touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately been kicked to him by a team-mate
• touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate
Decision 3

Subject to the terms of Law 12, a player may pass the ball to his own goalkeeper using his head or chest or knee, etc. If, however, in the opinion of the referee, a player uses a deliberate trick while the ball is in play in order to circumvent the Law, the player is guilty of unsporting behaviour. He is cautioned, shown the yellow card and an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team from the place where the infringement occurred. * (see page 3)

A player using a deliberate trick to circumvent the Law while he is taking a free kick is cautioned for unsporting behaviour and shown the yellow card. The free kick is retaken.

In such circumstances, it is irrelevant whether the goalkeeper subsequently touches the ball with his hands or not. The offence is committed by the player in attempting to circumvent both the letter and the spirit of Law 12.

You will notice that the words used are deliberately kicked to him by a team mate.

I can find no reference to above the knee or below the knee. I do not think you can kick the ball with anything other than your foot even if some of our players do use their shins occasionally I assume they do not do this deliberately.

Any comment from Mr Wildgoose.

Re: Back pass law for Simon and Stuart

Trev:

Exactly right.

The ball has to be played by the FOOT in order for a pass back to be so.

Re: Back pass law for Simon and Stuart

Thanks Steve, this has made things much clearer and i'm sure in future that edmonton rovers will never have an issue with a back passage aagain.