THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PENALTY KICKS

Okay this is how it works - after the game on Sunday, all players & any spectators who fancy it put £5 into a kitty. Simon has volunteered to go in goal for a penalty shootout.

Depending on how many we get & if the council want to shut up the changing rooms or not we'll sort out the format on the day.

Basically the winner takes half the pot & the club takes the other. I think we all owe the club the chance to make a bit of money back this season so lets all get involved - it will be a laugh - maybe Lol can film it for the out takes at the AGM & I think Simon will bring a box of beer to get us 'warmed up' for On Broadway afternoon antics.

What does everyone reckon?

Re: PENALTY KICKS

I reckon my idea is great.

pentastic

Regarding the changing rooms, we have to be finished in there by 1.00.p.m., so if we allow a maximum of 30 minutes for the penalty competition as if we were playing extra time in a cup match, there will still be time for everyone to have a shower afterwards before the groundsman starts locking up.
This is dependent on us kicking off dead on 10.30.a.m. (which shouldn't be a problem) and getting the penalty comp organised straight away...which could be a problem if we are 'sorting out the format on the day'.

Conor, I presume you are thinking/expecting a number of Reserve Team players (e.g. Osborn, Scott, Russell, Ritchie) are coming along to watch our game, then take part in the penalty shoot-out ?
That will then knock Chris Morrish's idea of a Friendly at Albany on the head then, won't it ?

Also, didn't Stuart want a 'Crossbar Challenge' filmed for Soccer A.M. rather than a penalty competition ?

Just a warning though, that if I get a booking to film a Cup Final in the afternoon this Sunday, I will not be able to stay and video the penalty comp.

Penalty kicks sounds good. If it kills my idea, that's no problem. Just a thought really. Probably would have ended up five-a-side "monkey" rush across the pitch or something equally sh*t and pointless anyway!

Same as training really, Chris.

I think it's best that we forget about organising anything where we know that players are bound to cry off at the last minute, otherwise it just makes the situation even worse and even more players will 'leave'.
It's all to do with a lack of motivation simply because we are losing every week.

After these final two League games are out of the way, we should just 'start again' with the 7-a-side League, get new players to play in that...no matter how cr@p they might be...and then take things from there.

Lol, I might be wrong but hadn't you already previously ko'd the cross-bar challenge for one reason or another?? (filming commitments maybe??) The crossbar challenge would have to be videod because the whole point was to send it into Sky & get us some coverage. The Pen comp doesn't have to be videod - it was just an idea.

We don't have to arrange for people to be there, just whoever is there - gets involved if they want to - even some of the Everest players could be tempted if it's on film - raising even more for the club?

I will be there for the penalty shoot out.Also I will give a few of the reserves a ring to see if they are coming to watch on Sunday and maybe stay around for the penalty shoot out and the 'Leo Sayer' in the afternoon.

The 'Crossbar Challenge' was previously 'k.o.'d' because we were planning it as part of an Old Boys match.
We had to forget about the Old Boys match because we do not have Hazelwood or Albany available after the 10th April and either our First Team or Reserves were playing every week before then.
Nobody thought of having it at the end a LEAGUE match...until now !

I'm happy to film either a Penalty Shoot-Out or a Crossbar Challenge, so I will leave it up to others to decide. I do not have any bookings to film Cup Finals this Sunday afternoon at the moment, and I am not expecting anyone to phone up before then as it will be a bit short notice.

Regarding Everest players joining in and Tarby getting as many Reserve Team players as possible, it's a good idea as it will raise more money, but we have to be careful not to make the competition last too long. We will get in trouble with the Council if the groundsman is 'forced' to stay after 1.00.p.m. because players want a shower before they go down the pub.
If everyone is prepared to have a shower at home instead (and come down the pub later), then it's not a problem.

I think Trev maybe bringing the beer, left over from the snooker night. Remember us poor northerns only eat coal and have cold baths, so how can I afford a crate!!!!

You must be a 'rich' northerner then if you get to have a bath - I thought you all washed in ditches. With coal.