Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum

I (Chris Dunham) take no responsibility for the messages on the message forum.
As this is an automated script and at present has no validity checking, I cannot be sure what may appear on the board.
Please note the messages do not contain the views of the myself, merely the posters personal opinion.

If you notice any messages of an offensive nature please email me at

chridunham@aol.com

Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Daddy Mac

No, Slim Cheesborough was the Ration NCO, he was Paddy's boss.

any photos of paddy jim?

Brian, Alec is the guy I remember, thanks. I didn't realise we had more than one ex National servicemen in the Regt? I was under the impression Alec was the only one. I'm afraid I don't remember Paddy or Slim.

paddy was a real old bugger slept in the ration store and used to play hell when we ran out of something and had to go down and knock on his door .

DavidP
Brian, Alec is the guy I remember, thanks. I didn't realise we had more than one ex National servicemen in the Regt? I was under the impression Alec was the only one. I'm afraid I don't remember Paddy or Slim.
The Regimental Clothing Store was Alec's personal piece of heaven, he was master of all he surveyed, the place was immaculate, kept that way by an old, jack boot wearing, German guy. I recall on kit exchange day queueing down the ramp to be called in to Nirvana, one at a time, clutching the item of kit that required exchanging. The inquisition started and if Alec was satisfied with your explanation it would be exchanged, one lad wanted to exchange his plimsoles as they were too small. Alec agreed on the understanding that he washed them and brought them back in a condition whereby he could put them back on the shelf ready for reissue, whereupon the lad turned round and proceeded to launder them in Alec's newly replenished fire bucket. Laugh? I thought both Alec and I were about to have a heart attack.:scream: :fearful: :cold_sweat:

Yes. Daddy mac was killed in Londonderry. 1975 I think.

18bty were manning the checkpoints on the londonderry city walls. Most gates were only open to pedestrians but gate 'Papa 8' was open for cars to enter the walled city. 'Papa 6' was vehicle exit.

If you entered the city through Papa 8, immediately turn left alongside the city wall to the carpark. This carpark was used as the soak/search area for HGVs entering the walled city. The soak area was callsign "Papa 8Alpha". The main P8 sangar was actually outside the walls so P8 and P8A were not directly line of sight of each other.

Daddy Mac was one of the 2 man teams who, in rotation, manned Papa 8 Alpha.

The soak area sangar was inside the wall with its back against the city wall. I believe the IED was lowered down from the city wall onto the roof of Papa 8A.

I remember the day. I was off duty lying on a bed watching TV when the Boom echoed across the city.

Daddy Mac wasn't alone. I feel bad that I can't remember the name of the other chap who was killed.

Ian in responce to your enquiry mate.

Cfn Colin McInnes (20)
Killed 18th December 1975.
Killed while manning an OP/Sanga on the Derry Wall next to the entrance into the city on Strand Road. A bomb had been placed on the roof.

Thank you Chris.

Paul Wolfendale's photos of his visit to the city has (had?) a photo of the exact section of the wall where P8A stood.

Hi.

I remember Daddy Mac, I sat alongside him on the coach transferring us from Aldergrove Airport to Ebrington Barracks.