Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum

I (Chris Dunham) take no responsibility for the messages on the message forum.
As this is an automated script and at present has no validity checking, I cannot be sure what may appear on the board.
Please note the messages do not contain the views of the myself, merely the posters personal opinion.

If you notice any messages of an offensive nature please email me at

chridunham@aol.com

Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Reg Clansey RIP

Got it in one, Jimmy.

Brian MUG ! Reg whats the common denominater mate !!

I had an emeil from the Gunner and they forwarded my contact details to Reg,s family. I have since heard from his daughter and once I can chat with her I will let you know what she has to say about Reg.

Dear Mr Dunham,

Tara from the Gunner magazine passed on your kind words regarding the passing of my dad. Thank you so much for getting in touch. What a shame you never managed to keep in touch it would have been good for him. Unfortunately he never mastered the computer and his deafness made phoning difficult. I know he was very lonely after mum passed away in 2003 and he found it difficult to make friends although he would always stop and talk to anyone who would listen. I moved in with him about a year after mum died and we moved from BC to Ontario to be closer to my younger son Colin, of course he was soon moved on to Nova Scotia after his deployment and we moved here. However I told my son I was not going to follow him round the world so probably will remain here now. Dad took great pride in his grandchildren and I was pleased he managed to watch them and the great grandchildren grow.

It was only during the past year or so that he began to really talk about his time in the forces, mostly after Colin returned from Afgahnistan so there was a lot about him I never knew. Things started to trouble him towards the end with nasty nightmares etc, there was nothing I could do to help there. Now they have PTSD and help but then nothing was available. He was always very active and loved life but last year he became very frail with a heart condition despite having a pacemaker then he contracted sepsis, we have no idea how and the last weeks were in hospital heavily sedated. It happened so suddenly it was quite a shock and his passing went with so many things unsaid and feelings of guilt on my part. I am comforted only by the fact he believed in God and that he is now at peace without nightmares or pain.

I think my best memories were of Lipstadt, it was a nice community, of course I was of teenage years then and worked at RHQ for 22 Signals, I loved the work there and moved to Canada in 69 just before dad went back to Middle Wallop. I loved being an "Army Brat". I went on line once and saw how the barracks have all changed, the AKC is a church now! Time moves on doesn't it, not always for the best but there you go.

Sorry for the rambling on, I do miss my dad a lot it will take some getting used to after all this time. Living alone is for the birds!!!

Thank you for getting in touch

Sincerely,

Grace Clansey

Yes it was my dad who was the provost Sgt with his dog Rex!! I used to walk the dog round the camp as much as he would let me (you may guess why, I was 16 at the time)! I did attend the battery dances when the big wigs were invited, otherwise I used to baby sit for Gnr Jones children. I loved the time in Lipstadt those were my best memories, broken hearts included!

Now which Jones was this ?

Grace many thanks for sharing your memories of your Dad. I am very sorry to hear of the passing of your Mum, I was the Tech QMs Clerk when she was the QMs Clerk in Lippstadt. I visited Lippstadt in July this year and took a few photographs, some of which I passed on to Big Jim, hopefully when he returns from his gallivanting around the USA he will post them here - you may recognise a few places.