Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum

I (Chris Dunham) take no responsibility for the messages on the message forum.
As this is an automated script and at present has no validity checking, I cannot be sure what may appear on the board.
Please note the messages do not contain the views of the myself, merely the posters personal opinion.

If you notice any messages of an offensive nature please email me at

chridunham@aol.com

Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
42nd my time

Hi just thought I'd post a short note having found this site I joined the 42nd when it was stationed in Devizes however having finished training in the early 70s I was sent out to Northern Ireland to join the regiment seem to spend my time in and out of Ireland some time in Germany fallingbostel.
I joined as just a gunner became the gun layer and driver of the 105 under Sgt Newman I became very fast coming into action I remember a sergeant Davies thought he would teach this young newcomer a lesson and we had a competition to see who could lay the gun the fastest needless to say I did and received a slap on the back of my head for doing so.
I was with the regiment when the gun exploded during live firing.... It was decided that day to give another gun sub the chance to do the first firing... Resulting in not being able to live fire some time until the reason for the explosion was found................ however when we did start my gun sub was chosen again to do the first firing.. never did understand why it was decided that the crew would retire from the gun prior to firing however I was always sat on my own in the gun layer's position maybe when the gun was fired I guess I shouldn't have beaten the other gun subs sergeant

Re: 42nd my time

Good to hear from you, Bryan, sorry I can't place you in my old mind. The only Hammond that springs to mind was Ken "Horse" Hammond; he was an MT Sgt. Don't suppose you were related?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There was also a John (Black) Hammond in HQ Bty.

Wooooooo i only joined in 1970 your photo looks just a bit older than that

Yeah, 1960-62.

Noticed the photo of Willie Shaw and others I remember I have a photo of willie myself and Captain Houghton at Larkhill about 1963/4 demonstrating the first idea for a land rover hover craft. If I work out how to down load photos to the site I will post it, What was the disaster and when was it he died????

Here you go Clive:

Ref Ibrox;

Wikipedia
The 1971 Ibrox disaster was a crush among the crowd at an Old Firm football game, which led to 66 deaths and more than 200 injuries. It happened on 2 January 1971 in an exit stairway at Ibrox Park (now Ibrox Stadium) in Glasgow, Scotland. It was the worst British football disaster until the Hillsborough disaster in Sheffield, England, in 1989

Bryan Hammond
Hi just thought I\'d post a short note having found this site I joined the 42nd when it was stationed in Devizes however having finished training in the early 70s I was sent out to Northern Ireland to join the regiment seem to spend my time in and out of Ireland some time in Germany fallingbostel.
I joined as just a gunner became the gun layer and driver of the 105 under Sgt Newman I became very fast coming into action I remember a sergeant Davies thought he would teach this young newcomer a lesson and we had a competition to see who could lay the gun the fastest needless to say I did and received a slap on the back of my head for doing so.
I was with the regiment when the gun exploded during live firing.... It was decided that day to give another gun sub the chance to do the first firing... Resulting in not being able to live fire some time until the reason for the explosion was found................ however when we did start my gun sub was chosen again to do the first firing.. never did understand why it was decided that the crew would retire from the gun prior to firing however I was always sat on my own in the gun layer\'s position maybe when the gun was fired I guess I shouldn\'t have beaten the other gun subs sergeant
Bryan Hammond army freefall parachute course .....and it was free
21 June at 20:31
Manage

Bryan Hammond Did think about joining a firefighting group in Canada after leaving the army who would parachute into remote locations to fight fires.......just never got around to doing it ......good choice i think on hindsight
21 June at 20:37 • Edited

clive tarr
Noticed the photo of Willie Shaw and others I remember I have a photo of willie myself and Captain Houghton at Larkhill about 1963/4 demonstrating the first idea for a land rover hover craft. If I work out how to down load photos to the site I will post it, What was the disaster and when was it he died????

The 1971 Ibrox disaster was the crush among the crowd at an Old Firm match, which led to 66 deaths and more than 200 injuries. It happened on 2 January on an exit stairway at Ibrox Park in Glasgow as crowds began to leave. Wee Willie was unlucky enough to be caught up in it.

Thanks Jim for the info remember the disaster now.

Came as a shock to hear about Willie after all these years.