Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum

I (Chris Dunham) take no responsibility for the messages on the message forum.
As this is an automated script and at present has no validity checking, I cannot be sure what may appear on the board.
Please note the messages do not contain the views of the myself, merely the posters personal opinion.

If you notice any messages of an offensive nature please email me at

chridunham@aol.com

Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Richard Cook Korea etc

Just received this email and I have replied asking for phone number etc

Hi,
Don't know if I'm in the right place, but my father served with the 42nd field regiment in Korea in 1954, stationed on the 38th parallel. Just trying to find out about his regiment, father also has a photo album from his time there.
Father's name is Richard Cook from South Shields,

Thanks very much

George

Richard Cook Korea etc

Hi George, I served in Korea with 42 Field Regiment RA at the same time as your Dad, but can't say I remember him. I was with 179 Battery and I suppose he could have been with them as well, but perhaps more likely he was with either 68 Battery, 87 Battery or Regimental Headquarters.

Good luck!

Re: Richard Cook Korea etc

Jim Richard served in 179 Bty mate. His son George has explained about the site and I am going to email George a couple of direct links to save him surfing the site to find the right ones for Korea. Richard would love a chat with you so as soon as I get his home number I will pass it on in an email mate.
Richard is in good health and no doubt once George tells him about the possible Korean trip he may also want to try and get there next year.
Richard has a photo album somwhere just having trouble finding it but as soon as its found George will arrange for it to be forwarded to scan for the site.

I am sending an email containing links to the relevant pages for Korea for Richard to have a look at.

This site is still getting people out of the woodwork. LOL

George, I have quite a few photos of 42's time in Korea that will probably interest your Dad. All I need is an email address to send them to.

Jim nice to chat last night especially to find out I had the last 2 digitis of your home number back to front. A bit like the lads who wear the baseball caps. LOL
As I mentioned I have emailed George the links to the relevant pages for Korea, he is also interested in taking his Dad to Korea. Have you spoken to any of the other Korean Vets mate ?

My dad Richards memory of the time is a little sketchy, but he recalls that he arrived in Pusan Korea on 16th December 1953.
He remembers that the head of the 42nd was a guy called Tierney and that his RSM was a guy called Wall.
He can recall a friend of his was Taffy (Edgar) Thomas and another friend from Hebburn was called Armstrong whos brother was George Armstrong who holds the appearance record for Arsenal F.C.
Just the other day he told me a story of a guy in his regiment shooting an officer and injuring him,and when they asked the guy why he shot the officer he said that officer was constantly picking on him. My dad can remember guarding the prisoner for a while and that he was basically held prisoner in a kind of chicken coop. Hope this might jog a few memories, thanks for reading

Richard Cook Korea etc

Interesting, George. I remember the shooting incident, think it was a guy from 87 Battery just over the hill from 179.

I believe it was the 8th of December when we arrived at Pusan. It stuck in my mind as it was my Dad's birthday. I was only 17 when we arrived having been told I'd have to go to Kure in Japan until I was 18, but that didn't happen.

glad you guys are chatting over old times.

Hi George....I was involved in that shooting in Korea...A new intake arrived into the 87th battery and did not settle in...he was a loner, he did not keep in contact with his parents and his mum contacted our commander, Major Morris....Morris pulled him over the coals and gave him a severe bollocking. Couple of weeks later on a bright and sunny morning the C.O. and our BSM were standing on the road opposite the tent lines when a shot rang out and the BSM fell to the ground, shot through the stomach, he was groaning in severe pain.
Peter Burk and myself had just an hour before come of duty (radio ops) and were lying on our bunks when we heard the racket going on. Peter and myself ran to the BSM and helped him as much as we could. Capt Bunny Kendle was the man of the moment, he jumped the idiot shooter and managed to get him to the Nick, which was a big cage in the radio tent come guard room. Capt Kendle controlled the situation until the Regt Police arrived. I don't know the shooters name but he got 7 years in a civil nick in the UK. Jack was the name of the BSM, a great bloke and well liked, cannot remember his surname??? He was flown out to a field hospital in Seoul, was getting better and then had a relapse, was then flown out to Japan, never heard any more. Hope he got better.Peter Burk passed away a couple of years ago, a good friend as was Peter Barber, they were from the same town, think of them all with fond memory's...
Regards Ivan Baney......................

Memories, memories!

Pete Barber's bed was next to mine in Korea and we were great friends. I think he was a National Service man. I knew Pete Burke as well, believe they were both from Rochdale. Pete Barber certainly was and I visited him there once some years later. I remember he took me to a wedding where we had a great time. He came and visited my wife Helen and I when we were stationed in the Royal Citadel in Plymouth in the late 1950s.

Happy days!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic