Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum

I (Chris Dunham) take no responsibility for the messages on the message forum.
As this is an automated script and at present has no validity checking, I cannot be sure what may appear on the board.
Please note the messages do not contain the views of the myself, merely the posters personal opinion.

If you notice any messages of an offensive nature please email me at

chridunham@aol.com

Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Death in 94 in Lippy

I can add some more information to the Freddie Nightingale saga. I was on duty the night of his demise &, to ensure I don't libel anyone, & to avoid any haziness over the time that has passed since, a few details will be omitted! Freddie did indeed have a lot to drink that night. He got in involved in a drinking competition & without a clear winner, carried on as a 'solo.' It later transpired that around 12:30 am he was seen 'watering' the roses outside the block, so he was ok(ish) then. Around 6:30 I went round the block waking people up .. those that wanted too. The guys who liked a drink, or 3, were all in the same room so, deep breath, open the door shout "Wakey, wakey!" close door & exhale. Couldn't say whether he was alive or not then though the evidence would suggest, most likely dead. About 7:30 the guys started cleaning the block up &, as I was in charge of the 3 people doing the corridor, I was asked by one of them if I would gee Freddie up as they weren't doing his job for him. Into the room & found Freddie lying on this side, on top of his bed. A small pile of puke on the floor under him. Quickly ascertained that he was not of this world anymore & got everyone else out of the room. Got someone to stand by the door & to make sure no one entered. Down to the Battery office to ring the medical centre. One Sgt. (Netley) Davis was there & whilst waiting for the call to go through I told him what was going on. The orderley, when I told him we needed an ambulance & doctor to 94 Battery block, said (& I quote), "Can't he walk up here?" to which Netley, grabbing the phone out of my hand said, "What part of fucking dead, don't you understand?"
The rest, as they say, is history. Much form filling as the whys & wherefores regarding Freddie. The official verdict was 'asphyxia due to the inhalation of vomit.' Choked on his own puke in other words .. too pissed to get to the bogs or hang his head out the window. The Battery club was going to be closed. I think it was for a while. I was going to to be hauled over the coals. When I asked why I was told, in almost as many words, a scapegoat was needed. To the assembled officers & senior NCO's I said I wasn't going to be anyone's patsy. I wasn't his guardian or keeper & what he did in his own free time, as long as it was legal, was his own business. Much muttering & murmuring & I was dismissed. Arseholes!
Probably, as much as anything else, explains why I never rose above the lofty ranks of L/Bdr.

Geoff, thanks mate for the sad details. there but for the grace of god, it could have been anyone of us as we all loved a drink. RIP Freddie

Due to the mists of time I missed something when I wrote my response to this.
Freddie wasn't has name ... it was his nickname because he bore more than a striking resemblance to Freddie Garrity of 'Freddy & the dreamers.'
RIP Freddie .. whoever you are.