Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum

I (Chris Dunham) take no responsibility for the messages on the message forum.
As this is an automated script and at present has no validity checking, I cannot be sure what may appear on the board.
Please note the messages do not contain the views of the myself, merely the posters personal opinion.

If you notice any messages of an offensive nature please email me at

chridunham@aol.com

Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
John Newman - ex-49 Bty

I phoned Ella today, she's keeping well but poor Jock has a severe case of dementia, hardly speaking and not always responding to conversation, often not aware of things. He's still at home but has carers to get him up in the morning and put him to bed at night.

Jock has a heart of gold and would never do anyone any harm. He was a great debater (would start an argument in an emty house) and I miss the heated chats we used to have on the phone.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: John Newman - ex-49 Bty

Sorry to hear about John I remember him while we were serving and was glad to meet him in Malton a few years ago

Jim, I am real soory to hear about John, the last time I saw and Ella was when they travelled with me and Lillian to a 49 Battery reunion in Wallsall in 1996. That seems years ago now. The next time you phone please pass on my regards and thoughts to Ella. Is there anything that we can do for him ?

Spoke to Ella again today and suggested a digital photo frame loaded with 42 Regt photos. She was enthusiastic and thinks that it may help to improve his memory. He's not totally forgetful; when she said I'd called she asked him if he remembered me and he replied, "Aye, and Helen." John attends a day centre twice a week to give Ella a break, which I'm sure she'll need - John could be very trying even without the dementia (poor lad).

Anyway, I'll get a photo frame, load it up and deliver it personally. I'll fund it myself; the least I can do for an old comrade and friend.

well done Jim

I am very sorry to hear of Jock's health problem and well done Jim with regards to the photo frame. They say anything white around the home near to the person with this dreadful disease can help that person and also play music which they are accustomed to hearing. Perhaps you might tell Ella of this Jim the next time you talk with her. When you and I last spoke we mentioned about people with this problem and that my sister-in-law has got Alzheimers and so I am passing on this info in view of our chat. Yes Ella will need some respite as it does affect two people and she wants to take advantage of the offer and not to feel guilty.

Delivered the photo frame this morning, John recognised me immediately and we had an enjoyable wee bit of a blether about old times. He seemed far more lucid than I'd expected, his speech is somewhat impaired but he asked after various ones and told me I needed a shave. When I responded that he needed a haircut he managed a chuckle and the old John shone through. I was more heartened than despondent with the occasion. Having said that, John needs a lot of care and attention and it's good that he has the support of his loving family around him. He goes to a Day Centre for a couple of hours two days a week.

John briefly watched some of the photos whilst I was there and recognised many of the faces; hopefully it will help to improve his memory.

Ella doesn't appear to have aged a bit since we last met, spry as ever. Today was Ella's one day a week off, so I got to meet their eldest daughter Lily, a lovely girl that I last saw in Devizes in 1969 when she was about ten or eleven. She was there to look after her Dad today and had to get three buses to get to Newburgh from where she lives.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thanks for sitrep Jim hope the picture frame will keep his memory sharp.
PS
Lock Eke and the Whistlefield Inn looks good

Yeh, Loch Eck & Whistlefield well worth a visit, Jack.

Thanks for the disc, haven't watched it all yet but great so far, particularly the WWII Pickering do.

John, (Load it) was my number one in Devizes(18bty) there was never a dull moment when he was about, so sorry to hear he has dementia it’s the curse of modern day living. Well done big Jim for what you’re doing for him, I remember you and me talking and having laugh about him in Chester 2009.

My Mum and my sisters would like to thank you all for the digital photo frame given to my Dad. It brought back a lot of good and happy memories not only for my dad but mum and us. It was also nice to see Jimmy again, although I was a lot younger when I last seen him

Lily

Nice one Lily, lovely caring family. You should mention my name that will give him something to talk about

God bless you

Glad to hear the news that you found John better than you expected Jim. I told all the lads at the 49 reunion last weeeknd and they said to send their best wishes.

Sorry to learn that John went into hospital yesterday suffering from pneumonia. Ella says he was a bit brighter today and he's on a course of antibiotics.

Let's hope and pray he recovers.

Johns a tough un he will get over this.

John's condition has improved somewhat but he's expected to remain in hospital for some weeks yet. I'll send him a card on behalf of the OCA.

Image Hosting
Picoodle Image Hosting

Please do here John is on the mend let's hope it continues

It's nice to hear a bit of good news these days Jim........Let's hope John continues to improve he's a fighter and a 42nder what more can be said? Good Luck John.

It’s great to know that John, has improved a little get well soon John.

Big Jim
I'll send him a card on behalf of the OCA.]

You'll have to excuse my sense of humour but John and I have been friends for many years and I know he'll see the funny side; hopefully it will help to cheer him up.

Image Hosting
Picoodle Image Hosting

Brilliant, well done Jim

Jim you misse a word between on parade, sounds french with a scotch accent.

John still in hospital but improving. Ella says he enjoys watching the photo frame, recognises many faces and identifies all the guns.

Had a text from John's daughter Lily today.

I'm delighted to report that John came home from hospital on Monday this week. Lily says he's OK but getting more forgetful.

I asked Lily to tell her Dad that all his Army pals are thinking of him and wish him well. I also asked her to tell him from me to get his hair cut.

Lily said he badly needs it!

thats good news about John getting home, not so good him losing his memory though, its what keeps us old ones going, remembering the good as well as the bad, thats what makes life interesting.

Haven't had any contact with John or his family for some time. I recently emailed daughter Lily but got no reply. I tried calling Lily's mobile today but call failed, looks like she's changed her number. Called the house but just got the answering machine, left my number for someone to hopefully call back. I'm beginning to feel a wee bit uneasy, but will keep trying to contact.

Jim. I read some of your previous posts concerning John. I can understand your uneasiness. John was a few years ahead of me but I do remember him, mostly as a Bdr and, as I recall, a staunch member and a leading light of the J NCOs' Mess. A larger than life man. I do hope he is OK.

I also hope John is okay and just away on holiday...

Panic off, I've just been talking to Ella on the phone, they're all fine, basically no change in John's condition, so that's good news.

Pleased to hear it

A good Man "Load it" and very kind even if he always had to have the last word.

I can still hear him now

"BARBER FFS !!"

"Bu bu bu bu bu but Sarge" those of you who were there will understand and remember

Happy times

We're planning a tour of the Highlands this summer and I intend to call in and see John.

Jim please say hello from me and Lillian.

where in Scotland is he ?

Jon ,John Newman lives in Newburgh on route to St Andrews you could get the berry bus from Blairgowrie lol

We could we are there next week so I will be contacting you shortly

So sorry to read about John he was always
Happy and helpful

Being in the area last Monday I thought I'd drop in and see how Jock was doing. I phoned first and spoke to Ella who informed me that he is not home at the moment. He's in a respite centre near home awaiting provision of a hoist his carers say he needs in order to continue his care at home. Ella says his physical condition is much the same but his memory is getting worse. I asked Ella to pass on best wishes from us all.

This happy picture shows John and his four daughters today on the eve of his 80th birthday.

I'm sure we all wish him well on reaching this milestone and wish him many more to come.

Why am I not surprised that John was born on the same day WW2 broke out?

Click to enlarge:

Newman

Happy birthday John, stay in there you know you can do it

A lovely heart-warming pic of John N and daughters.

good to see John smiling and with his lovely Daughters for his special day.

Glad to see John is well again , had many a laugh with John in Lippstadt.

Greetings from Perth Australia JOHN!!!!!!

CLIVE ( JACK) ( INANTO ) TAFF ) Tarr

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOHN!

Click to enlarge:

BP 15

Thanks Big Jim, for updating the forum on John’s health, and his 80th birthday hope you had a great day, all the best John nice photo of you and your four daughters.

John has been rushed to hospital, doesn't look good, I'll keep you posted.

Jim, sorry to hear that, my fingers are crossed mate.

I'm sorry to report that John passed away last night.

I will post funeral details later.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thanks for letting everyone know Jim about John's passing and may he rest in peace,also condolences to his family and friends. Another gentleman and Gunner passed this way.

RIP John I remember you from your 49 Bty days and the Malton reunion 2004

I am devastated to hear the sad news Jim, I would like to attend the service so please keep me informed mate.

So sorry to hear the news. RIP John and condolences to his wonderful family

1 2