Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum

I (Chris Dunham) take no responsibility for the messages on the message forum.
As this is an automated script and at present has no validity checking, I cannot be sure what may appear on the board.
Please note the messages do not contain the views of the myself, merely the posters personal opinion.

If you notice any messages of an offensive nature please email me at

chridunham@aol.com

Welcome to the 42 Regiment Royal Artillery Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: time in 42 Regt RA

warren williams
hi dereck.
I doubt you remembering me as i didn't a distinquished military career. but i remember you were one of 3 brothers from Bolton
Lofty Mtatt and Barry Hands i also remember. I left the army in April 1969.
In 1975 I emigrated to South Africa and then In 1976 I emigrated to Rhodesia. I am now living in Johannesburg where I have been since 1989.
I would welcome any correspondence from anyone who was in 49 battery the same time as me.
warren williams

Warren, I was in 49 Bty but your name doesnt ring a bell. I was in SA in march but in Cape Town and Durban for a holiday. I will email you the link to the 49 Battery web site and you could get access to the forum, in the meantime I will copy and paste your comments mate. 49 is having a big reunion in November in Walsall Birmingham. actually you left the battery in Devizes about 2 months before me. I lived next door to Lofty in devizes, loft has been divorced and remarried.

Barce barracks and earthquake Feb 1963

Jim,

As you were in Libya in 1967 you might be able to answer me this question.

I was there as a 13 year old with my dad who served with the 14/20 king hussars and stationed at Wavell barracks just off Benina road. We lived in Benghazi till January 66. But the 5th inniskillings we handed over to in Nov 65.
I have been searching out all regiments to see which barracks they were based at just in Libya and have put it on a site called "A Story of Two Bridges/colors of Libya".
As you were in Libya training in 67 four years after the Barce earthquake you mention going to Barce. I want to know if you went to see if Barce barracks was still standing and if so was it still being used and which British regiment was it still there or was it taken over by the arab army. If you dont know the answer. And your former members dont know. Where can I find the information for my research.
Thanks.
John.

Hello,

I'm researching for my father's eulogy, and trying to remember all the regiments and batteries he served with.

His name was George Reeves and he was a Battery and then Regimental Sgt Major. My mother can't remember when he was made RSM, and the Army Personnel Centre won't release any information without £30, a copy of a death certificate and about a months notice, so I'm reduced to trawling through the internet to try and find anyone who knew him.

I was born in 1963, and I know he served with 22 and 42 Regiments, he was in Pembroke Dock in 1960 (one of my sisters was born there), and in Dortmund and Bielefeld, (another sister was born in Hamm), I was born in Wallsend in '63 but haven't as yet found anything which tells me who he was with then.

If there IS anyone out there who remembers him I'd be very VERY grateful if you could respond.

Thanks.

Jude Ayres

I seem to rememeber that the 2 i/c or adjutant also batted for the other side and got caught at it and disappeared whie we were in Slim Barracks.

Scouse Melvin was TQMS at one time and we in the LAD got on with him really well as he couldn't mess us about as our EME wouldn't have allowed it even if he wanted to which he didn't. I always found him to be aggod sort but I suppose being BSM you can't be too friendly with we peasants.

1 2