Return to Website

Horror Vacui/Caleb Muse Forum

A message board to discuss the vampire character Caleb Morley (from the ABC-TV daytime drama "Port Charles"),  other vampires in fiction and myth, the supernatural,  the arts, and various dark muses.   

Horror Vacui/Caleb Muse Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nick Cave video

Recommended video--"Where the Wild Roses Grow" by Nick Cave, available on YouTube at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdB-0SOd6sQ

Nick Cave is one of my favorite musician muses, and this song demonstrates the seductive, sinister beauty of his work. The imagery and storyline of this ballad reminds me a bit of the vampire character Caleb Morley from the cancelled daytime drama Port Charles. I love the contrast of the pastoral setting (Nature at its most idyllic--singing birds, a bunny as cuddly as something from a Disney movie, a tranquil lake, blossoms bursting with life) and the act of violence which occurs with the caress of a lover. "All beauty must die," the song states, and with a rock in his hand, the narrator, kills his beautiful young lover. She is now, like the wild rose, a thing of beauty plucked at her most lovely.

The video is haunting, troubling because it is so beautiful and seductive, a twisted, morbid romance.