Return to Website

Horror Vacui/Caleb Muse Forum

A message board to discuss the vampire character Caleb Morley (from the ABC-TV daytime drama "Port Charles"),  other vampires in fiction and myth, the supernatural,  the arts, and various dark muses.   

Horror Vacui/Caleb Muse Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dorian Gray and vampire aesthetic

I've been thinking about Oscar Wilde's novel the Picture of Dorian Gray in relationship to the vampire myth-- in both there's the promise of eternal youth, freedom from illness and decay, pursuit of sensual and aesthetic pleasure, the refinement of the senses. I see the Catherine Deneuve character in The Hunger and Caleb in Port Charles as particularly vivid embodiments of the aesthetic ideal explored in the Picture of Dorian Gray.

Re: Dorian Gray and vampire aesthetic

One major difference between Dorian Gray and the two vampire characters, however, is that Dorian is incapable of love and self-transcending passion.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I've been thinking about Oscar Wilde's novel the Picture of Dorian Gray in relationship to the vampire myth-- in both there's the promise of eternal youth, freedom from illness and decay, pursuit of sensual and aesthetic pleasure, the refinement of the senses. I see the Catherine Deneuve character in The Hunger and Caleb in Port Charles as particularly vivid embodiments of the aesthetic ideal explored in the Picture of Dorian Gray.