Andy Kaufman's House of Chicken 'n' Waffles!

Some syrup may get on your chicken but that's okay.

Andy Kaufman's House of Chicken 'n' Waffles!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mistaken for Andy

For no special reason, I just happened to remember one time when I was mistaken for Andy. No, not THAT Andy, but AN Andy nonetheless.

It was around 1973, about a year before I would have even heard of Andy Kaufman. I had just gotten a bike I had wanted and mostly saved up for myself... it was called a Schwinn "Lemon Peeler." It was the latest in the "Apple Crate" line of bikes, which came in several different colors, this one being yellow. Even though it was named after a lemon, the yellow seat was usually likened to a banana. What I thought coolest about this bike, was it had a small front wheel and impressive shocks on either side of it, and it looked a lot like it was styled after a "chopper"-style motorcycle.

Nowadays I find these are real collector's items now and fetch good money on eBay... sadly, I don't have that one anymore.

But when I got it, I rode it all the time. I was just blocks from home when a kid about my age stepped out of his house onto his porch and shouted out, "Hey, Andy!"

Not me! I didn't even think he was addressing me. But as I rode past and beyond, I heard him continuing to yell, "Andy! Andy!" and then finally, "Andy... when did you get the new bike!!"

I laughed to myself and thought, "What a maroon."

Re: Mistaken for Andy

"Hey, Andy!"