Andy Kaufman's House of Chicken 'n' Waffles!

Some syrup may get on your chicken but that's okay.

Andy Kaufman's House of Chicken 'n' Waffles!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dick Dastardly?

That's interesting... and this may be why:

I found the same thing you did, putting "Andy Kaufman" in quotes and then the word "Aruba." But nothing on the page there indicates the use of those words... I did see the name "Andy" there but enclosing the full name in quotes would have bypassed that.

But this "Dick Dastardly" seems to be a comic; not the old "Wacky Races" "Stop that pigeon!" character. (I was actually hoping it would be!) So that seems a tie-in somehow. But what seems to help is putting both names in quotes and doing a regular search. One of the results is the KaufmanFakedIt page: http://www.geocities.com/kaufmanfakedit/

There, you'll see, of course, Andy's name, another link which says "Aruba"... and one link which says: "Dick Dastardly (Me)." That link leads, or would lead, to that same photograph... no other real explanation given. The link may not work correctly as the URL for the photo contains an underscore as in Dick_Dastardly, whereas the link offered on KaufmanFakedIt seems to be missing that underscore. So apparently Google does a little "thinking outside the box" when combing for results.

Re: Re: Dick Dastardly, Paul Winchell, and therefore... Andy is alive!

i.e., this "Dick Dastardly" fellow may be one of our compatriots somehow, at least someone who knows of the KaufmanFakedIt Matrix.

So I'm thinking, aside from knowing whoever this Dick is... there must be some interesting connection between Andy and the cartoon character.

The cartoon character Dick Dastardly was vocally portrayed by the recently passed Paul Winchell, a very dear man who also voiced Gargamel from the Smurfs, and Tigger from Winnie the Pooh. And, he was a well-known ventriloquist in the early '60s, perhaps even the late '50s, having created Jerry Mahoney and Knucklehead Smiff... and at least one of those puppets appeared in the lead all-puppet photograph that adorned the andykaufman.org site for a while. We know Andy loved Howdy Doody; he most certainly would have liked Jerry Mahoney as well. Mr. Winchell also happened to have achieved some fame as the inventor of the artificial heart.

So, searching further, using both Paul's name and Andy's name as search criteria, I found a rather recent blog posting:
--------------------------------------
"and PLEASE do not forget
Posted on 08/25/2005 at 04:24 PM by Andy Kaufman

Please do not forget Paul Winchell who way before he was the voice of Tigger, had a daytime local kids show that ages me to even think about. It allowed puppets to be real charecters seperated from a ventriloquists hands. I can still remember how I wondered how they made that happen. That is one of the earliest Andy memories, watching those ****ed puppets and me wanting to have a voice of my own. ( I well up thinking about those memories)

The key to an artist I think is the lack of limitation of media. Write, play with puppets, poke fun at Bush, sing a song, make our seasoned citizens laugh one more time, see the wonder in a childs face, make people laugh in a vomit pit, do better venues, run a room, run a red light.

It is only when an artist feels their limitations that you no longer are an artist, instead you are a fool.

April, your Mom did not raise a fool"
--------------------------------------
In this blog post, it was a response to another comic named April Brucker, whose blog it was. Interestingly, Paul Winchell has a daughter named April, with her own website, www.aprilwinchell.com... but is apparently not this April.

But... posted by Andy Kaufman??? So apparently folks, the good news is, YES, Andy Kaufman is alive and performing! No, not THAT Andy Kaufman, though. Another one, who lists "our" Andy as a distinct influence. Read more:

http://www.comedysoapbox.com/comedianstemplate.cfm?comedianID=1722

And, this Andy has his own blog as well, worth taking a gander at:

http://www.comedysoapbox.com/comedianblog.cfm?comedianID=1722