Andy Kaufman's House of Chicken 'n' Waffles!

Some syrup may get on your chicken but that's okay.

Andy Kaufman's House of Chicken 'n' Waffles!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Fuzz

Me too, please. I don't want to miss it either.

All right, one more

See the thread below for the recap of the Letterman episode.

Meanwhile, in the midst of watching it, I also Google'd "Andy Kaufman" in the "News" category and found several articles, which I also mentioned in the thread. So since I've pretty well hogged up the end of that thread, I'm up here all over in this one now, with another of those articles. And remember this quote, it may be useful some day: "I don't plan on not being good."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050806/SPT03/508060351/1022

Miller eager to hit field
Battling back from surgeries

By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

GEORGETOWN, Ky. - Sitting on his scooter, Caleb Miller inched backward as water from a sprinkler system closed in on him. Considering the heat and humidity still lingering following an afternoon practice, the prospect of cool water splashing against the body should have made the Bengals' second-year linebacker move forward.

Then again, no one ever accused Caleb Miller of being on the same wavelength as the rest of the planet.

"I think most of the coaches would honestly admit that there are loose bodies in my head," said Miller. "All of the defensive coaches would agree and I think most of the offensive ones. That's OK because I enjoy being a kid and having fun with life, not taking things too seriously."

One thing Miller is serious about is getting back on to the football field and proving to everyone that the Bengals didn't make a mistake in drafting him in the third round last year. While David Pollack, this year's top draft choice, missed Friday night's intrasquad scrimmage due to stalled contract negotiations, Miller couldn't play because he's recovering from arthroscopic surgery on his left ankle one week ago.

Miller hopes to be playing by the time the regular season begins Sept. 11, but that remains to be seen. After last season, he's not taking anything for granted.

The surgery was the third time this offseason on Miller's ankles, the second time on the left one. He was bothered by ankle troubles all last season. He was rewarded for an impressive preseason a year ago with a start at outside linebacker in place of an injured Brian Simmons in the season opener at New York against the Jets, but that's where he first hurt himself. When middle linebacker Nate Webster was lost for the season with a torn patellar in his left knee in Week 3, Miller was named to replace him.

Miller was limited to just two starts in the middle by his ankles and the performance of fellow third-round pick Landon Johnson. He had a season high 11 tackles against Tennessee on Halloween, but the next week against Dallas he aggravated the injury and finished with just three tackles over the final nine games of the season.

"For last year to miss my first game - I'd never missed a game before in my life - it was weird and I didn't understand what it was about," said Miller. "I didn't know how crummy it was just to sit on the sidelines when your team is playing and you can't be out there with them."

Miller played in 13 games as a rookie, but the frustration level was noticeable as the season wore on. Only two other players in the history of the University of Arkansas made more career tackles than Miller's 368, but he simply couldn't do what he had always been used to doing - running fast and tackling opposing ballcarriers. His playing weight was listed at 225 pounds last season but on his 6-foot-3 frame he struggled to keep it that high and his greatest physical asset, his speed, had been taken from him.

"Last year, we all left camp impressed with Caleb, and unfortunately the season didn't go in his favor," said head coach Marvin Lewis. "I think he's relieved now because he has one ankle feeling really good and the other feeling average. I'm glad for him that he has an opportunity now to get back to playing football. He's really transformed his body this offseason and has matured as a player."

Miller transformed himself for his individual picture in the team's media guide. He turns 25 in September and for his entire life he's had curly hair. Except for the day he was scheduled to have his headshot taken.

"I'm pretty sure that now, whether I can play a musical instrument or not, I am a rock star," said Miller. "Did you see the picture? I am a rock star."

The hair was uncurled with the use of a flat iron, an idea he got after a visit to his two sisters in Dallas. They were curious as to what he would look like with straight hair.

When he uncurled it, the front bangs reached to his lower lip. An image of one of Miller's favorite movies, "Man on the Moon" about the life and death of comedian Andy Kaufman, struck the player.

"It was really weird; it looked funny and it was hilarious," said Miller. "Dude, if that picture is what shows up on TV every time I play and all of my friends see that, that would be the best Andy Kaufman that I could pull off my entire life - it's not funny to anyone else in the world except for me and about 10 other people, but that wouldn't matter. It's a private joke funny to two people. It's a great picture."

A better picture for Miller would be getting back on the field. It's been nine months since that Dallas game and, as offbeat as he may be, he has a real desire to prove his worth.

"I knew the injury wasn't in my head, I knew what it was so I'm glad (the medical staff) figured out what it was and hopefully that will be the end of it," said Miller. "We can then talk about my play. I'll either be good or I won't, and I won't have any excuses.

"I don't plan on not being good."