Andy Kaufman's House of Chicken 'n' Waffles!

Some syrup may get on your chicken but that's okay.

Andy Kaufman's House of Chicken 'n' Waffles!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Myth of Depression

This is from an essay on depression (full article at http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/17/magazine/17DEPRESSION.html?incamp=article_popular_3). It's about not romanticizing depression, about differentiating perhaps between melancholy and depression. Seeing that depression is not necessarily insightful depth. The "what if" question is, "What if Prozac were available during the time of Van Gogh?" (Myself, personally, I am rather appalled at how many people medicate themselves and their KIDS, especially, rather than learning important lessons in discipline, self-control, or, I don't know, how to simply live without instant gratification. This article dodged that subject, focusing instead on the point that some people suffer debilitating depression that is to some extent treatable. I liked the point that was made, debunking the "depression necessarily equals depth" myth. I like the emphasis on resilience, with full knowledge of the human condition.)

That variant of the what if question sent me to Albert Camus's essay on Sisyphus, where I confirmed what I thought I had remembered -- that in Camus's reading, Sisyphus, the existential hero, remains upbeat despite the futility of his task. The gods intend for Sisyphus to suffer. His rebellion, his fidelity to self, rests on the refusal to be worn down. Sisyphus exemplifies resilience, in the face of full knowledge of his predicament. Camus says that joy opens our eyes to the absurd -- and to our freedom. It is not only in the downhill steps that Sisyphus triumphs over his punishment: ''The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.''

Re: The Myth of Depression

Lithium helps me, thats what my shrink gave me them. I love that detached feeling. Some people need Paxil Prozac, the people I have dealed with seem alot nicer while on it.
I dont believe that there is any cure for depression. The best thing to do is start drinking about 5:00 PM and stop about 11:00 PM thats when I start to take the Lithium and that shit knocks me out.

Re: Re: The Myth of Depression

Is that a Kmart I hear?

Re: Re: Re: The Myth of Depression

That's WW if yer nasty!

I'm picturing Sisyphus pushing a big prozac pill up the hill.

Re: Re: The Myth of Depression

That's perfect.

DON'T YOU PEOPLE HAVE JOBS???!!

Re: Re: Re: The Myth of Depression

I've been out sick yesterday and today. I have to return to work tomorrow. *sighs*

Self imployed = dicking around all day.

very thought provoking, Lulu

If Van Gogh had been a happier person maybe his paintings would have been even better, or maybe the fact that he was so tortured made him a better artist, or maybe the fact that he wasn't successful in his lifetime wouldn't have mattered to him if he hadn't been depressed. I agree, I think there is a tendency in our society to over medicate or to medicate when it's not needed at all, but I don't think overcoming real clinical depression is only a matter of discipline or self control, at the same time I do think melancholia is benefited by learning to utilize self control and discipline and a definite distinction between the two should be more carefully made by healthcare providers before medication is dispensed.

While I admire the attributes of the fictional Sisyphus I identify more closely with Van Gogh. I don't think Van Gogh found much joy in his struggle and I don't think it's realistic that one might joy in futility. I'll be the first to admit I'm a pessimist

Re: very thought provoking, Lulu

I have the perfect antidote for melancholia. I went to see Desmond Decker last night in Hollywood. I garentee it is impossible to feel anything but bliss after that experience.