Return to Website

PetNetDesigns Message Board

Welcome to the PetNetDesigns Message Board This message Board is for Pet Professioals. Discussions can include any Pet Industry topic. We are professionals, and profesionalism is expected when using this board. Absolutely no vulgar language or slandering of others will be tolerated.

PetNetDesigns Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Salon vs. Mobile ??

I have been working in a Salon for decades! Really! I love the other groomers & bathers. I am going to be interviewing soon (In a different state) One of the positions is with a Mobile Grooming Co. I am alreading leaning toward this position, because they offer bene's etc. So, I would like to hear from other Pet Stylist who were in a salon & then went Mobile. Pros & Cons. Thanks & have a nice day & stay healthy.

Re: Salon vs. Mobile ??

I had a job offer once for mobile grooming a good sign on bonus but they wanted me to sine a contact that said if I did not stay with them 3 years I could not groom for any one in are state with the right people I think it would be fun but you can do more grooms in a shop and how about them pottie brakes? GOOD LUCK

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have been working in a Salon for decades! Really! I love the other groomers & bathers. I am going to be interviewing soon (In a different state) One of the positions is with a Mobile Grooming Co. I am alreading leaning toward this position, because they offer bene's etc. So, I would like to hear from other Pet Stylist who were in a salon & then went Mobile. Pros & Cons. Thanks & have a nice day & stay healthy.

Re: Re: Salon vs. Mobile ??

TeeHee-TeeHee, yep, I really have thought about the "Potty Breaks"! But I feel since I am making a REALLY big change in my life, I have to think of Bene's etc..... I know I can groom more at a salon, (7-10) And that's with answering phones, checking pets in & out, rebooking & also selling products. I love the $$$, but getting burnt out doing so many dogs - along with every thing else. A contract??? Oh no, I cannot do that!! Do those contract really stand up in court?? I know hairdressers that sign contracts, and most of their contract read: cannot be employeed within 5 miles . . BUT I guess that would be hard if you were with a mobile, HUH?? I know if I stay with a "Salon" I could do more dogs, and pay my own Bene's, I am just tired of the hassel, and most of the mobiles give other perks, Vac. pay, bonus, I have not heard of any "Salons" able to offer this! Do they ? Or, am I just looking for too much?? Thankx for your input!!

Replying to:

I had a job offer once for mobile grooming a good sign on bonus but they wanted me to sine a contact that said if I did not stay with them 3 years I could not groom for any one in are state with the right people I think it would be fun but you can do more grooms in a shop and how about them pottie brakes? GOOD LUCK

Replying to:

Re: Salon vs. Mobile ??

I started out mobile but the company I worked for didn't care much about thier equipment or the groomers, just the money coming in. I couldn't do my own bookings and they would make up my schedule. I was once given 1-1/2 hours to complete a full coated collie AND get to my next appointment.

With mobile you must contend with auto problems (flat tires and engine problems can happen) no parking and traffic and yep, the potty breaks.

Now you must temper my poor reveiw of mobiles with the fact that I worked for a *&%$^%#%%&%& company with run down equipment, who went out of business shortly after and and 1 other groomer left. It sounds like the company you are looking into is better (offering benefits is a good sign).

I did not move to a big salon but openned my own shop out of my home. In my book, self employment is the best way to go if you can do it. There are no paid benefits, you must pay full SSI plus all the problems are yours and yours alone. But the benefits of being near my family, my own dogs, and my own home is worth it all. OH YEA and the profits are all mine too.

I understand this may not be an option for you, but I didn't think it was for me at first either. That was 22 years ago and I'm still going strong (Yep and I also own PetNetDesigns who sponsers this board)

Oh one other thing. I've never seen it in the grooming industry, but a vet clinic nearby me did successfully enforce a contract similar to the one mentioned. So it can be done.

Good luck and let us know how it works out

Peggy

Replying to: