A Place to discuss all things Maverick.
THIS PAGE IS NOT ASSOCIATED WITH MARSHALL ISD IN ANY WAY

Be Kind.  Keep it clean.

My Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Will Carthage series return?

Will we return to our series against the Bulldogs next year or is it done? Personally I really enjoyed the series.

Re: Will Carthage series return?

I think keeping the Carthage game serves several positive purposes:

1. Playing a quality opponent. Carthage is no scrub. 4A or not.... they could beat 80-90% of the 5A Div II programs in the state... and probably a good portion of the 5A Div I programs too.

2. Big crowds early in the season. Hard to replicate a playoff atmosphere in September.... but 8,000+ will be at this game more often than not just because of proximity and bragging rights.

3. Money game.

To be honest.... I think this would be a great replacement for the Longview game. But that's just my opinion.

I'd like to see a pre-season line-up that included Carthage.... John Tyler.... and maybe Lufkin. Drop Longview and the long trips to Houston/metroplex.

JMHO.

Hated to see the Carthage game gone. You have to keep Longview just for the fact that they are a good team year in and year out. We tend to play in a weak district so playing state championship caliber teams in non-district is vital imo. Wish they would of kept Carthage played Longview and went out and found another powerhouse to play. Win or lose those minutes against those caliber teams means a lot.

I coached at a 4a school in East Texas that has won 2 state titles in the past 4 year and we reached out to Marshall for a game and were told he would rather play a 5a or 6a school than a 4a. So unless something changes I don't see you guys playing Carthage

Carthage is not your average 4A school. I have a hard time believing we would turn down playing a championship caliber team for a September game. I agree that the Longnview series needs to end. It benefits neither outside of being a financial boon.

well I'm just saying what he told us which we are a state championship program and top five ranked yearly. And not slowing down anytime soon. I'm saying this not to shame him but a lot of coaches think like this which is I would rather lose to a school my size or larger than a smaller school even if the smaller school is better than most 5a schools.

Mac01
well I'm just saying what he told us which we are a state championship program and top five ranked yearly. And not slowing down anytime soon. I'm saying this not to shame him but a lot of coaches think like this which is I would rather lose to a school my size or larger than a smaller school even if the smaller school is better than most 5a schools.
I'm assuming that you are talking about Texarkana Pleasant Grove. We've had some great scrimmages against them in the last few years. I'm not sure when PG as inquired about a real game. I also know that Coach Griedl and and the coach at PG are friends. I'll find out the details. But a scheduling conflict would be the ONLY reason I can imagine Marshall turning down a series Vs. PG. There are limited slots for non district games when you are in an 8 team district. Longview is always going to get a slot. Carthage will be getting a slot for the foreseeable future. That leaves only one week to offer, and that may not match with everyone. PG is a quality opponent, just like Carthage. Scheduling problems would be the only reason a game wouldn't happen.

Dates weren't the problem I'm 100% sure on that but we understood where he was coming from on playing a school from a lower classification. Yes the school is Pleasant Grove.

It makes no sense to say no strictly "because they are 4A" when we've had 4A on the schedule multiple times through the years. If it weren't for COVID, Carthage would STILL be on our schedule.

Marshall needs to keep the Carthage series going. It's a guaranteed sell out. They need to pick up a series against Lufkin and pick up either John Tyler or Tyler Lee. Drop Longview. Keeping it regional and against old rivals will bring big crowds in but also give us tough games to get us ready for district. But no need to continue the beatings from Longview until either we improve to compete against them or until Longview comes back to Earth. No one in East Texas can compete against them. Their record against Marshall, Texas high, Pine Tree, Lufkin, Tyler Lee, and John Tyler is ridiculous.