A Place to discuss all things Maverick.
THIS PAGE IS NOT ASSOCIATED WITH MARSHALL ISD IN ANY WAY

Be Kind.  Keep it clean.

My Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2021 Season Predictions

What does your crystal ball say for 2021?

10-0?

9-1?

8-2?

7-3?

First round playoffs? Area? Regional? More????

Biggest games in 2021?

Must wins?
Games you are most looking forward to???

Re: 2021 Season Predictions

Anything better than (8-2) would include major upsets by Marshall.

Anything lower than (7-3) would be a disaster in my opinion. This would include losses to Longview and Texas High and either to New Caney or McKinney North. We need one of those non-district games.

A repeat of last season would be a nightmare at (5-5).

I'm cautiously optimistic headed into this season.

Obviously we will be big underdogs against Longview and Texas High. That alone puts us at (8-2).

I'm not underestimating Pine Tree, Whitehouse, or Nacogdoches....but all three of those SHOULD be winnable for us this season. Not guaranteeing wins, but I don't think Marshall winning any of those three games would really be considered an upset.

So it really comes down to how we do Vs. New Caney and McNorth.

The long road trip to NC will make it tough....but it's definitely winnable. The eagles lost a lot from last season. But they still have plenty of talent on the field.

The McNorth game should also be winnable.... being at home AND based on what I saw from them last season. I honestly think we should be better this season than last season, and we beat them pretty soundly. The game wasn't even as close as the score appeared.

So all that to say.....

I'm expecting a 7-3 regular season. Losses to Longview and Texarkana. That third loss I'm floating between New Caney, McNorth, and Pine Tree.

6-4 wouldn't shock me.....but I'm being optimistic with 7-3. Anything more than 7-3 would be pleasantly shocking. Anything less than 6-4 would be deeply disappointing.

JMHO.

New Caney win
Longview loss
Mckinney win
Pine Tree win
Jacksonville win
Texas High loss
Whitehouse win
Mount Pleasant win
Hallsville win
Nacogdoches win

Mavs finish 8-2. Runnerup behind Texarkana. Win a home playoff game. Lose in the second round. Finish the season 9-3.

Next year will be the year we make some noise.

I believe you are right in what you're saying. I am glad the Griedl has gotten the squad the necessary amenities, but I don't think he's the right fit as a coach because I don't think he's the guy to take Marshall to that next level which is the problem...Until we have that guy we will forever wishing and hoping. Like Mathis was that guy but, Desoto offered more than just land.

Mathis was a douchebag. He screwed Marshall the whole time he was here and continued to screw us after he left. A poison. His ego lost us more games than his coaching won us. He lost in the first round of the playoffs twice. The 2018 team won in spite of him not because of him. He gave that Huntsville playoff game away because of his ego. Should have kicked the PAT abs gone to OT. They couldn’t stop us. The guy is a cancer.

Marshall has had four different coaches take them to at least the regionals five times since 2005. Southern, Harris, Harper, and Mathis. That shows the talent is there, it's just not always there EVERY season. Every single one of them had down seasons. Southern went (1-9) his first season. Harris never had a losing season and never missed the playoffs. Harper went (3-8) in his first season and also never missed the playoffs. Mathis only went (6-5) in his first season. Griedl won the district championship in his first season. Last year was a down year. Those seasons have happened for the Mavs on occasion for the last 30 years. I agree that we will see great improvement this season that will solidify things and move us forward. 2021 is going to be fun.

I'm predicting a 7-3/6-4 regular season. Seeding will determine how far we go in the playoffs. If we can get one of the top 2 slots, I like our chances of winning a playoff game. But a 3/4 finish makes it a lot harder, especially if the road game is in Huntsville.

New Caney- We will settle the QB race quick. Offense will be better than most think they will. But the defense will shine on this night. Marshall gets a close win.

Longview- The Lobos have been stomping us into the mud ever since we upset them in 2015. Their offense is going to be stupid good this season. Plus it's at Lobo Stadium. How long has it been since we won there? 1998?

Mckinney North- We should win our home opener. MN didn't impress me last season.

Pine Tree- I don't think there is a game the team wants to win more than this one. Another win at Pirate Stadium for Marshall.

Jacksonville- I'm guessing this will be homecoming. Big win should be in order. Jacksonville has been pretty bad the last few seasons.

Texas High- I don't think an upset is out of the question for Marshall. But the Tigers just don't lose at home. And Texas High will proabbly be in the top ten by this point, maybe top 5.

Whitehouse- Revenge is the name of this game. We never should have lost to them last season. We take it back this year.

Mount Pleasant- Another big win.

Hallsville- Grudge game. Another Maverick blowout.

Nacogdoches- This is another revenge game. Nac cost us the playoff last season. We will return the favor this year.

That makes us (8-2). Anythnig van happen in the playoffs. But a run to the third round would be sweet.

I'm a little shocked that no one is picking us to beat Texas High. I get it, they will be state ranked. They are the defending state champions. But they were a flawed team last season. They still have some question marks. Our offensive ineptitude against them last year allowed them to run us out of the stadium. If our defense plays well....and we can build a decent offense, I think we can challenge them. Won't be easy. And the pressure is on for a QB, offensive line, WR's, and the coaching staff. I hope they can pull it all together.

Predictions maybe an activity fun to throw out there
but deeper down they are an entanglement and snare
that limits the subjects actually sought to succeed at
them. The predictions build up pressure verse building
up the players. Any weekly deviation from the predicted
outcome immediately judges a team’s worth in the eye
of the guessing adult.

Having once been a team sport playing teenager the
weekly swings in adult sentiment wasn’t a welcoming
spin to what really took place during the contest.

The young men are 16-18 years old. There is plenty
of life on their plate to deal with during the sport
season. School, parents, friends all weigh heavy.

Let’s use our predictable energies in encouraging our
sons, grandsons, neighbor kids, our staff too. True
winning takes place within those kind words and small
hugs.

Maverick Nation has lost Skeet…let’s step up and
vow to be more like him!

Mavfan4life
I'm a little shocked that no one is picking us to beat Texas High. I get it, they will be state ranked. They are the defending state champions. But they were a flawed team last season. They still have some question marks. Our offensive ineptitude against them last year allowed them to run us out of the stadium. If our defense plays well....and we can build a decent offense, I think we can challenge them. Won't be easy. And the pressure is on for a QB, offensive line, WR's, and the coaching staff. I hope they can pull it all together.
Texas High is the defending district champion. And they look to be LOADED....

Their offense will probably be better this season than it was last season.

Their defense will probably better this season too.

Hard to pick against that.

Not saying it can't happen. But they are definitely the heavy favorite.

The games we REALLY need to win this season that we didn't last year are Pine Tree, Whitehouse, and Nac. We might can slip in one of those games....but we need 2 of the three. Preferably all three.

Whoa now...Stay classy Marshall....What has the Mavs done since Mathis left?...I'll wait...The QB ..whom transferred out of state threw 5ints but the guy behind him was? Exactly. He did the best he could with what he had at that time. Marshall is a great hotbed for what we do here in east texas but Marshall is not Desoto or Duncanville for that matter. Appreciate the guy for what he was able to do. The program is in a better place for Mathis being here and allowing Greidl to install and elevate his system. I am Marshall through and through, Class of'90 and If I wasn't a hardhead I would have been on those great teams of '88,'89. But I grew up with those guys, played at "grassy patch" on the home side at maverick stadium, coker field, parks and backyards. I appreciate and respect everything about Marshall Maverick football...

Mavs finish 8-2. Losses to Longview and Texas High. #2 seed headed into the playoffs.