A Place to discuss all things Maverick.
THIS PAGE IS NOT ASSOCIATED WITH MARSHALL ISD IN ANY WAY

Be Kind.  Keep it clean.

My Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Week 1: MARSHALL Vs. NEW CANEY

The Mavericks will kick off the 2021 season on the road against a very good New Caney Eagle team.

Let's get the discussion about this game started!

Re: Week 1: MARSHALL Vs. NEW CANEY

It seems like we are always looking for a quarterback every season. Graduation, injuries, or player issues.

We needed a QB in 2020 because Savion graduated.
We needed a QB in 2019 because our starter quit. Took a few games, but Savion saved our season.
We actually had a returning QB in 2018. Was a special thing.
We needed a QB in 2017 and started a sophomore. Had a slow start, but it worked out well.
We needed a QB in 2016 and Hunter Herrington was a good utility guy. He got the job done
We needed a QB in 2015 after our star guy got hurt just before the playoffs.
We started a freshman in 2012 and he ended up being a 4 year starter.
We needed a QB in 2011 and Tutt was the guy. 1000 passer. He just didn't have any help.

I think this game, and the whole season actually, boils down to if we can find a quarterback to lead the team. If we do find someone I think we are in pretty good shape. If we don't, I think it could be a long season.

The defense should be very good this season. Good enough to keep us in most games.

The offense doesn't have to be spectacular to have a good season. They just have to be functional, which is something they weren't last year. The offense cost us losses to Pine Tree, Whitehouse, and Nacogdoches last season. Take those games and we easily should have been (7-3) or maybe (8-2). But they were bad.

Find a QB and I think we're good. If we don't, we could be sitting home in November again.

Is this the longest road trip to open a season we've ever had? I can't ever remember being this far from home to start a season.

It's going to be tough to win thar far from home in front of a packed house of their home crowd.

We can do it, but it won't be easy.

And I agree, it all comes down to if we have a quarterback or not.

I know we opened the season in Little Rock, Arkansas back in the early 2000's. That's further away than New Caney. I have no idea what the longest trip is. I'm willing to bet Mavchamp can find out.

Marshall to Waco- 200 miles in 1943 to play Waco High
Marshall to Little Rock- 217 miles in 2001 to play West Fayetville HS
Marshall to Gainsville- 221 miles in 1954 (not a season opener)
Marshall to Port Arthur- 225 miles in 1959 (not a season opener)
Marshall to Lawton, Oklahoma- 345 miles in 1984 (not a season opener)
Marshall to Fort Smith, Arkansas- 366 miles (not a season opener)
Marshall to New Orleans- 374 miles in 1925 to play Warren Easton HS
Marshall to Odessa- 503 miles in 1989 (not a season opener)

SO.... the longest SEASON OPENER was New Orleans in 1925 at 374 miles. Little Rock in 2001 is runner up at 217 miles.

The longest trip in Maverick history was to Odessa in 1989 at 503 miles.

The Eagles have to replace the entire offensive line this season. The key for Marshall to win this game is to shut down Kedrick Reescano. He had a big night against us last season. If we shut him down, we should win. They don't pass the ball a lot, but they have a pretty good quarterback coming back. Keep pressure on him and they are in trouble offensively.

Their defense will be good. We could struggle offensively against them if we come out unsure of what we're doing. We need a quarterback, a running back, and an offensive line to make this happen.

I we will win an ugly game that's dominated by both defenses. Something like 14-10.

Mavchamp
Marshall to Waco- 200 miles in 1943 to play Waco High
Marshall to Little Rock- 217 miles in 2001 to play West Fayetville HS
Marshall to Gainsville- 221 miles in 1954 (not a season opener)
Marshall to Port Arthur- 225 miles in 1959 (not a season opener)
Marshall to Lawton, Oklahoma- 345 miles in 1984 (not a season opener)
Marshall to Fort Smith, Arkansas- 366 miles (not a season opener)
Marshall to New Orleans- 374 miles in 1925 to play Warren Easton HS
Marshall to Odessa- 503 miles in 1989 (not a season opener)

SO.... the longest SEASON OPENER was New Orleans in 1925 at 374 miles. Little Rock in 2001 is runner up at 217 miles.

The longest trip in Maverick history was to Odessa in 1989 at 503 miles.
I remember that game out in Odessa. I think we had three touchdowns called back in that game. There was no way MOJO was going to let Marshall beat them in their own backyard after they had lost at Maverick Stadium the year before.

I agree....I think this is going to be a defensive battle.

Offenses usually gel slower than defenses do. We got some big question marks to fill. Namely at QB. I think we've got several names that can tote the rock. The WR corps should be outstanding.

We need an O-line that can give whoever the QB time to make some decisions without running for his life or lying on his back.

Our defense has the potential of being special this season..... they may have to carry the load early on this season. I hope not...but I think it's a possibility.

But if our QB.... whomever it ends up being.... comes out on fire...... this could be a fun win on the road to open the season.

I got my fingers crossed.

Mavs get a big road win against a good team to open the season. 21-14.

I don't think there will be a lot of offense in this game from either team. Both have some holes to fill offensively and both should have pretty good defenses. I'm guessing something like 14-10 Marshall.

I think the offense will be better than some of you think. But the defense will be the star of the game. Marshall wins 13-7.

Mavs win a hard-fought battle on the road. Not going to predict a score, but it'll be a tough close game.

I'm working on a preview for the game. I should have it posted in the next week or so.

I'll also post a little before the scrimmage against Tyler Legacy too.

Season is almost here, everyone!

I'm ready!!!

Mavs win a tough battle on the road.

I'll have a better feel for this game after the scrimmage Thursday.

Also interested in seeing how NC does in their scrimmage.

I am ready for this game. I'll be leaving work early to head to Houston.

Can't wait!!!

GO MAVS GO!!!!

After seeing us Vs Tyler Legacy last night, I feel somewhat better about this game. Cautiously better. I’m still waiting to hear from the New Caney/Lake Creek scrimmage.

The Mav defense kept a very good Legacy in check most of the night. Legacy’s line was HUGE. Outside of maybe Longview, I doubt we will see a bigger line (on those sides of the ball) as we did last night.

In spite of the huge size advantage…. The Mav defense held their own most of the night. They only gave up one long pass on the night and one run. Legacy only found the end zone once the entire scrimmage controlled and live quarters. Given the talent on their offense… I’m pretty pleased with that.

Marshall never found the end zone. But the offensive line opened some good lanes for the running backs. Short passing game was OK. Timing issues on the long passes. Legacy’s defense kept the Mavs in check most of the night. But we had some bright spots. Again… Legacy was HUGE compared to us.

I think the Mav defense will be good enough to win the game for us IF the offense can hold onto the ball and just be efficient on the night.

Hard to imagine NC’s offense will be better than Legacy’s. They are replacing a lot offensively.

Hard to imagine their defense being as big as Legacy. If we can chip away with a running game and short passing game… it’s winnable.

If we turn the ball over…. NC wins easy. If we don’t… play keep away… and lean on a stingy Mav defense… I think we win a tough low scoring game.

Feeling cautiously optimistic. But excited about the prospect of a fun season!

The Mavericks are going to use their defense and grind it out on the ground on offense for the win.

Marshall 17
New Caney 7

Did the Senior QB get in the game?

One short series 2-3 plays when Sloan lost his helmet

This game was VERY winnable for Marshall. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. The defense played their tail off in spite of being on the field the entire game. The offense was just completely out of sync the entire game.

The score was only 9-7 with just under 5 mins left in the game. The defense deserved that score.

Don't get me wrong.... the defense had some breakdowns too....but they stood up when they had to more than once. But they still allowed a couple of long plays. They would be super stingy for 6-7 plays.... and then give up a big pass... or a long run. But you can't expect perfection in the first game. The defense showed a TON of promise.

The offense.... well. It looked and felt like a continuation of last season. No offensive identity.

The offensive line seemed improved from last season....but was still wildly inconsistent. Especially on the running plays.

Our WR's need to fight for the ball more.... and if nothing else... knock it away to prevent the INT. Gotta run full speed until the play is over.

QB Slone has a heck of an arm. He can chunk it a mile. He was a sophomore making his first varsity start.

JMHO....but it seems we would have tried to call some plays to build confidence for him (and the O line). Make some quick short passes.

Expecting him to make 40-50 yard passes in his first start seems crazy to me.

Let him grow into being accuate. Throwing him out to the wolves..... wowzers.

Running game play calling.....ZZZZZ.

We have another QB (a senior) that might do some big things in the wildcat or pistol. Mix things up.

Just felt like we did him a major disservice in his first start.

We have a few weeks to work it all out. The district appears to be wide open after Texas High.

A great season can still be before us. I believe!