Return to Website

Forum for Sophie's World

Discussion groups for a variety of topics on the book "Sophie's World" and Commentary.

Note that any entry used for spam will be deleted without warning!

Forum for Sophie's World
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Answering: Where are most of the philosophers in the novel from and why?

Here is my answer- what would yours be?

Where are most of the philosophers in the novel from and why? Who is left out or forgotten,and why?

Most are from europe, but that is because the book is dealing with the history of western philosophy outright, if this was Tzao's World then most would be from elsewhere. In a certain sense the question begs the answer: eurocentrism, but that is a simple out, because though overly explored there is no less valdity to the western cannon. There is no conspiracy to leave major names out just because it focuses on a well treaded path that has western roots. One could trace a path of modern thought through the intellectual leaps that pertain to the history of Mathematics and find authors from europe, asia, and the middle-east and then ask why the Americas had been excluded. One might just lose the whole point of philosophy by focsing on the identity and ethnicity of authors and not understanding the validity of ideas. Does it really matter who first postulated that 2+2=4 if in the end that tautology is valid? I think therefore I am, was first published in Latin written by a frenchman, does that mean that a South American woman cannot find a universal meaning in the undestanding that thinking presupposes existence?