Return to Website

Forum for Sophie's World

Discussion groups for a variety of topics on the book "Sophie's World" and Commentary.

Note that any entry used for spam will be deleted without warning!

Forum for Sophie's World
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
hi

I have a limitation: the languege.
My first language is portuguese. But a know a little bit of english. I am sorry my poor english, maybe my expression and questions will not be well understand, but I have to try. If somebody speaks fresh or spanish a can read too. Let's make a world forum about Sophie's World (idea)!!!
Here I go: I read the Sophie's world twice, and twice I love the book. Philosophy is a wonderfull study. I would like to ask: How is philosophy class in Europe, Uk, France, German....? Youth peple (kid, teeneger, yougers) enjoy philosophy class?
Here in Brazil, philosophy is not a popular study for teenagers and youngers. I am sad aboud that, cause I think philosophy is the most important study to our civilisation progress, to spiritual progess and individual progress. Tecnology, war, urban violence, poor and rich people, are problems for the today's philosophy.
Renan, 26 years old, Brazil
Renan

Re: hi

In Germany philosophy is not common at all. I am sure a few grammar schools might offer it but that does not prevent us to be interested in it. Everybody can read it in case it contains the endurance, interest and dedication. Thanks for opening that thread. Very interesting!!

Re: hi

the study of philosophy is pretty open here in the U.S. Majoring in philosophy will lead you only into teaching philosophy in the future. but then again, no one really ends up doing what they went to school for.