Return to Website

Forum for Sophie's World

Discussion groups for a variety of topics on the book "Sophie's World" and Commentary.

Note that any entry used for spam will be deleted without warning!

Forum for Sophie's World
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sophie's World for adults

I just read Sophie's world and I wish I had read it when I was younger. I wrote a short response to the novel, from the perspective of an adult, and I would greatly appreciate other adults and younger people's comments whether you agree with my opinions or not.

http://read-the-book.blogspot.com/2004/09/sophies-world-1994-jostein-gaarder.html

Eliza

Re: Sophie's World for adults

I think so, but for me , in the Third World countries ex. Thailand, Khmer etc. this novel is important for The East peoples, the mass. In my country the poor don't know everything about the novel 'Sophie's World', Most of them are Buddhist, For me, Buddha alike Sophie, he teach me about 'philosophy and politics' for me he like Spinoza, teach us about the power of Understanding.

Hi, I read Sophie's World when I was 11 years old. I was searching through my mom's books when I found Sophie's World. I asked her about it, and she said that it was dull and she couldn't understand it, and that i should find another book to read. But then I started reading Sophie's World because I couldn't find any other book, and was captured by it. It remains my second favorite book ever, beaten only to the His Dark Materials Series by Philip Pullman. I love how the book ends so abrubtly, and leaves you thinking WHAT???!!! ITS OVER??! I am now 13 years old, but haven't reread Sophie's World yet. Usually I reread all the books I've read within a year of first reading them at least 3 times. I think Sophie's World is one of those books that you can only read twice, once at the beginning of your life, and once at the end.

I have taken a risk and introduced Sophie to three English 11 classes. We are listening to the Audible to support our reading. They are quite excited about Philosophy and enjoy the movement of the plot when it comes. Wish me luck! If anyone has a creative zone that will make certain chapters vivid and refreshing, please pass your ideas along.