Return to Website

Forum for Sophie's World

Discussion groups for a variety of topics on the book "Sophie's World" and Commentary.

Note that any entry used for spam will be deleted without warning!

Forum for Sophie's World
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
summer project Please help me!!!!!!!

i have to do a suummer project on the book, but reading one page gives me a headache. please help me. PLEASE. the questions are listed below

#1 Select one of the historical figures mentioned in the novel and discuss the ways in which his historical context played a role in his philosophy/ways of thinking. Complete a t-chart journal placing your summary of his philosophy on the left and your comentary and disscusion on the right.

#2 (another t-chart) In the left column are four prominent themes which are present in sophie's world. Under each theme on the left, cite two examples from the novel where the theme is illustrated or disscused. your notation schould include the page number and the direct quotation. on the right, discuss how the notations help to develop and/or illustrate the theme. your commentary should demonstrate your understanding of the theme.

theme #1 the pursuit of philosophy as a means of ordering human expirience

theme #2 the illusionary nature of free will (berkely)

theme #3 differentation between dreams and reality

theme #4 use of dreams to question reality

I have the other ones done already, which suprises even me.

Re: summer project Please help me!!!!!!!

by any hance do you go to hayfield? because i have exactly the same summer project. i have ot hand write this, so i dont have a copy on my computer but i can kinda help you.

1) i selected plato. talk abotu how socrates's death influenced his ways of thinking, and also how his schooling from socrates helped him think differently (like when he asked the questions and stuff in teh middle of athens, and ****** off all teh parents)

2) theme 1 - go to sparknotes.com, and htey have this theme summed up...jsut rearrange the words...the typical bs. i talked abotu how the greeks used mythology as a philosophy (even though myth. isnt really a philosophy) to go through their lives. they had to make sacrfices to the gods and because they were so "aware" of hte gods, nothing they did was not carefully though out with gods in mind.(kinda)

theme 2- also summed up in sparknotes.

theme 3 i didn't get this one, cuz all i can say is that dreams and reality could be the same thing, and theres not really a difference, and **** liek that. cna you help me with this?

theme 4- sparknotes.

basically, i really only spent my time here typign this up, to see if you go to hayfield. im me if you do. hope this helps :)

Re: Re: summer project Please help me!!!!!!!

yes it does help. for theme three your basically right there was part where it was talking about a peasant woke up in the governors bed then fell asleep and woke up a peasant again and he couldn't tell wheter the was a peasant or the gov. i used that yes i do go to hayfield. i don't have i'm and my email isn't working so...
My name is matt gerton

Re: summer project Please help me!!!!!!!

hey, i know this post is 2 years old, but if you still have that assignment I was wondering if you could help me with the dream vs. reality question. thanks